Ship Car To Santiago
Domestic USA & International Auto Shipping
- Quote Calculator
Shipping a Vehicle to Santiago from the United States
When arranging to ship a vehicle to Santiago there are several considerations you need to be aware of when making your plans. You will have paperwork to complete and will have to produce valid identification and vehicle documents as well as pay for international shipping fees. Santiago has a typically Mediterranean climate with hot and dry summers as well as humid winters. With close to a million vehicles traveling on the roadways in Santiago at any given time, drivers need to be aware of traffic delays due to congestion and try to plan your travel throughout the area accordingly.
Motor Vehicle Regulations
You need to know the Motor Vehicle Regulations for Santiago before you plan to ship. There are very strict regulations on shipping vehicles into the country. These are the regulations for shipping your vehicle to Santiago:
- Physical presence of owner including diplomats is required for clearance.
- Foreigners can only import a vehicle that is new.
- Businesses can import new large trucks.
- Foreign diplomats are exempt from paying duties and taxes on new vehicles.
- Chilean diplomats can no longer import a vehicle under their exemption status.
- Returning Chileans who have been out of the country over 12 months can import one new or used car or small truck but are subject to pay tax and duties.
- The weight of the vehicle must be on the Bill of Lading along with vehicle description.
- An international driver’s license must be obtained in the United States prior to importation of vehicle to Santiago
- Subject to 6% duty and taxes at19% of CIF.(Cost, Insurance, Freight)
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
- Certificate of Title and Registration – for new or used vehicles
- OBL/AWB – Original
- Commercial Invoice or proof of purchase – applies to new vehicles
- Declaration – for used vehicles; sworn notarized statement, list value & all technical items
- Insurance Certificate – stating amount of premium paid
Prior to Shipping
Before you ship your vehicle you will want to make sure you have a written total quote from the transporter to ship your vehicle to Santiago. Your quote needs to contain the original shipping origin and the destination in Santiago. Since Santiago does not have any ports, you will need to make plans with the shipping transporter to unload your vehicle and have it driven into Santiago unless you plan on meeting the freight shipper and driving yourself, or have hired someone else to pick the vehicle up and drive into Santiago for you.
There are also regulations on the condition of any vehicle being imported to Santiago. Prior to shipping, you will need to make sure that you clean your vehicle out well. Empty the trunk and the interior of the vehicle of any personal items you may have inside. Make sure there is nothing on the exterior that can separate or fall off during shipping. You’ll also need to empty the gasoline and any other flammable substances, and either disconnect or remove the car battery. Your transporter will be able to advise you on any other area of your vehicle that may need repaired or taken care of before shipping. If you need further information on what is allowed when transporting your vehicle, or for assistance with other Santiago customs questions, you can contact Embassy of Chile in Washington, DC.
The Cost and Types of Shipping
The final cost you will pay for shipping will depend on the weight of your vehicle, the distance from the port of origin to the port of entry in Santiago, and the type of shipping you decide on. Other things to consider will be whether you pick the vehicle up at the port of entry, or if you hire a company to deliver it to Santiago from the port. Delivery will be added into your final cost when you make the reservation with the transporter.
The two main types of vehicle shipping are:
Ro-Ro Shipping is generally the choice made by most when shipping their vehicle to another country. With Ro-Ro Shipping, vehicles are driven directly on the carrier ship at the point of origin and driven off at the destination point. This is the simplest and most inexpensive way of shipping a vehicle to Santiago.
Your vehicle will be shipped inside of a container on a carrier ship from the United States to the closest port to Santiago. While Container Shipping is a bit more expensive than Ro-Ro Shipping due to having to have more stability for safety reasons while shipping your vehicle, it is a great value when you want to ship other items with your vehicle.
Prior to shipping your vehicle to Santiago, you will need to gather all of the paperwork for exporting from the U.S Customs and Border Protection Agency. When you contact them they will give you all of the information pertaining to exact paperwork necessary for exporting your vehicle to Santiago.