The capital city of Papua New Guinea, Port Moresby is situated on the scenic shores of Gulf of Papua. It is the center of culture, trade, commerce and administration. If you have a residence or work visa, diplomat or student, you will need to have your own personal vehicle as you might not want to depend upon the local transportation.
It isn’t easy to ship your vehicle on your own as there are a myriad of procedures and clearances that are needed by US customs and Papua New Guinea Customs Department. That is why you need to contact A1 Auto Transport service. With over 20 years of experience in international shipping, we can help you at every step and even assure you doorstep delivery of the vehicle in Port Moresby. As Papua New Guinea is situated in the tropical zone the high humidity and excessive rainfall can turn to be harsh on the vehicle and maintaining it can be cumbersome.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
When you are shipping a vehicle to Port Moresby, there are various environmental and custom duties that have to be cleared and regulations to adhere to. To clear the port authorities, you have to submit the listed documents irrespective of the visa you are on. The essential documentation includes:
- Original vehicle registration certificate.
- Invoice/proper purchase receipt.
- Insurance certificate.
- Owner’s passport.
- Title deed of the vehicle.
- US- issued Driving license.
Custom duty exemption eligibility.
The regulations of import in Papua New Guinea allows for exemptions on custom and excise tax under specific situations. These are:
- Have a residential permit to stay for over 1 year after you arrive here.
- Have owned the imported vehicle for over 12 months before arriving in Port Moresby.
- Prove ownership of the vehicle.
- Inspections to evaluate it as used vehicle.
- Get roadworthiness certificate.
However, all shipments are done by RORO or container shipping. If you are importing an expensive or luxury vehicle, it is essential that you but extra insurance and ship it by container so that it is safe against pilferage and collateral damage. While RORO turns out to be cheaper as the charges are for a parking bay only, but there are certain limitations including keeping no personal items in the car. To make sure that the car is not quarantined when it reaches Port Moresby, steam clean the vehicle before it is shipped.
Calculating total shipping costs.
The import duty imposed by the Custom and Excise department is about 40% to 110% of the total vehicle cost, insurance and freight charges. Additionally, there is 10% GST tax that is charged before the clearances are given. To calculate the cost you will need to add the effective port handling charges, licensing fee and car safety inspection fees. One of our shipping agents will sit with you and calculate the total cost and provide you with a written quote.
As laws keep changing, it is good to get in touch with the Embassy of Papua New Guinea in USA to know the current import restrictions and eligibility criteria.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?