Shipping a Car to Montreal from the United States.
You’ve got a lot on your plate when planning to relocate from the US to Canada. Most folks planning an international move need to ship some personal belongings – oftentimes this includes their car. Vehicle importation into any country is subject to a number of rules, regulations, and conditions – fortunately, A-1 Auto Transport has years of experience shipping cars to Montreal and all other parts of Canada, and knows how to make the process smooth and hassle-free.
The following is a brief overview of everything that you, as the customer, need to know about shipping cars to Montreal.
Ship Car To Toronto.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Located in the province of Quebec, Montreal is Canada’s second-largest city. It’s located on the Island of Montreal, and has its own port on the St. Lawrence River, predictably called the Port of Montreal. With three international container terminals, this port is a bustling one that sees more than 2,000 cargo ships annually.
You’ve got a couple of delivery options to select from when shipping from the US to Montreal:
- Door-to-Door Shipping: With door-to-door service, your car will be picked up from your doorstep and transported to the port or rail station of departure (if applicable), or simply loaded onto a truck. Following arrival in Canada, it will be delivered to the destination of your choosing.
- Terminal-to-Terminal Shipping: You may also elect to drop off the vehicle at a shipping terminal, and pick it up directly at the terminal of arrival in Montreal.
There are also two primary types of transportation options to choose from, depending on your needs and budget:
- Ro/Ro Shipping: Roll-on/roll-off services are available in Montreal. Favored for its affordability and convenience, this option allows your car to be driven directly onto the vessel, and off again after arrival. Once it is in place, it will be secured to prevent movement.
- Container Shipping: Vehicles can also be loaded into cargo containers for heightened protection from the elements and from collisions. Hardy straps secure the vehicle and container each in place. A popular choice with owners of antique vehicles who don’t mind the extra cost.
Required Documents and Permissions.
Ensure that your specific vehicle is admissible as per Canada’s Registrar of Imported Vehicles. Other documents that you will need to provide include:
- Original vehicle title/DMV certified copy
- Copy of your photo ID
According to the 72 Hour Export Law, the United States Customs office requires you to send a copy of the vehicle’s original title to the border crossing that you’ll be using. This must be done at least 72 hours beforehand. Failure to do so will result in the vehicle being held up at the border, and can incur a $500 fine.
Preparing Your Car for Shipping.
Be sure to complete the items on this list, in order to prepare your vehicle for the shipping process.
- Clean your car thoroughly to expedite the inspection process and avoid long times spent in quarantine.
- Remove all personal belongings from the car.
- Ensure that the brakes (both foot and emergency) are fully functional.
- Leave the gas tank roughly ¼ full.
- Ensure that the insurance documents are either left inside the car, or carried with you at inspection time.
- Shut the alarms off, and lower/remove any antennae.
Vehicles arriving in Montreal from a U.S. point of origin are subject to certain customs duties, dependent on value and a variety of other factors. Refer to the Canada Border Services Agency for specifics.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory