Ship Your Car To Or From Laos.
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Shipping costs for transporting a car to Laos from the U.S. are generally in the range of $2,100 to $5,500.
- The cost will vary based on the type (and size) of the vehicle being shipped, as well as the availability of transport carriers at the time.
Shipping a car to Laos can be difficult. The country is landlocked, so most shipments will arrive in Vietnam (Da Nang Port or the Port of Ho Chi Minh City) and proceed to Laos through a land route. In addition to this, cars shipped to Laos are subject to extensive import taxes unless you are a diplomat.
Popular Shipping Destinations.
Expected Costs and Required Documents.
If you are planning to import a vehicle into Laos, you can expect to pay a 40% import tax (as noted by ASEAN). Depending on whether or not your vehicle is listed as a general good or a luxury good, there will be additional fees. The government of Laos prohibits the importation of right driving vehicles. A 2005 US Embassy report estimated that a luxury vehicle would be subject to an additional 3,000,000 KIP (roughly $372 USD) excise tax.
- General Goods: For general goods, you must pay an import duty + turnover tax.
- Luxury Goods: For luxury goods, you must pay an import duty + excise tax + turnover tax.
Vehicles can be temporarily imported, for project supervision, tourism, and business under the Temporary Imports regime if they are re-exported in the designated time period.
The costs can quickly grow when shipping to Laos. The total cost of your customs is calculated based on the price of your import, the overall value of your vehicles insurance, freight, age of the vehicle, vehicle type, engine size, and other potential incumbent costs. All of these factors are taken into account when calculating how much you will owe the Laotian government.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Laos.
- Invoice detailing the purchase of the vehicle.
- The vehicles year.
- Bill of lading.
- Letter of employment.
- Import permit.
Most of the paperwork will be taken care of by your shipping company, such as import licenses, and other related documentation. Still, you should always be prepared with necessary identification for your vehicle in order to ensure a smooth shipping process. Duty-free vehicle imports into Laos can only be done by foreign diplomats.
We offer several shipping methods to Laos that vary, depending on your personal needs.
- Roll on, Roll off (RoRo): The roll on, roll off method is one of the most popular. Your vehicle is driven onto the ship, securely held in place, delivered to the port of choice, and then driven off the ship. In order for this method to be viable, your vehicle must operable. If you elect to use this shipping method, you cannot store personal items in your vehicle.
- Container Shipping: If you are looking to ship personal belongings with your vehicle, this may be the best shipping method for you. Your vehicle and personal belongings will be securely held in place and stored in a shipping container.
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations Laos Trade Regulations
- International Movers Association Laos Information Page
Related Information & FAQs.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?