- Car Shipping Laos
- Ship Your Car To Or From Laos
- Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Cost & Time Examples For Shipping A Car To Laos
- Popular Shipping Destinations
- Expected Costs And Required Documents
- Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Laos
- Shipping Methods
- Valuable Resources
- Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Laos
- International Transport Options Through A1 For Heavy Equipment
- Other Services
- Related Information & Faqs
Car Shipping Laos
Ship Your Car To Or From Laos
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Shipping costs for transporting a car to Laos from the U.S. are generally in the range of $2,100 to $5,500.
- The cost will vary based on the type (and size) of the vehicle being shipped, as well as the availability of transport carriers at the time.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Laos
|San Jose, CA to (California port) to Vientiane||$200||$3,500||5+33|
|Las Vegas, NV to (California port) to Pakse||$450||$4,600||5+31|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Pakse||$475||$4,600||6+31|
|Seattle, WA to (California port) to Vientiane||$550||$3,500||6+33|
|Charlotte, NC to (New York port) to Vientiane||$575||$3,600||6+44|
|Chicago, IL to (New York port) to Pakse||$675||$5,100||6+44|
|Atlanta, GA to (New York port) to Vientiane||$700||$3,600||6+44|
|Denver, CO to (California port) to Vientiane||$775||$3,500||7+33|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Pakse||$800||$5,100||6+44|
|Houston, TX to (New York port) to Vientiane||$1,075||$3,600||7+44|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
Shipping a car to Laos can be difficult. The country is landlocked, so most shipments will arrive in Vietnam (Da Nang Port or the Port of Ho Chi Minh City) and proceed to Laos through a land route. In addition to this, cars shipped to Laos are subject to extensive import taxes unless you are a diplomat.
Popular Shipping Destinations
Expected Costs and Required Documents
If you are planning to import a vehicle into Laos, you can expect to pay a 40% import tax (as noted by ASEAN). Depending on whether or not your vehicle is listed as a general good or a luxury good, there will be additional fees. The government of Laos prohibits the importation of right driving vehicles. A 2005 US Embassy report estimated that a luxury vehicle would be subject to an additional 3,000,000 KIP (roughly $372 USD) excise tax.
- General Goods: For general goods, you must pay an import duty + turnover tax.
- Luxury Goods: For luxury goods, you must pay an import duty + excise tax + turnover tax.
Vehicles can be temporarily imported, for project supervision, tourism, and business under the Temporary Imports regime if they are re-exported in the designated time period.
The costs can quickly grow when shipping to Laos. The total cost of your customs is calculated based on the price of your import, the overall value of your vehicles insurance, freight, age of the vehicle, vehicle type, engine size, and other potential incumbent costs. All of these factors are taken into account when calculating how much you will owe the Laotian government.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Laos
- Invoice detailing the purchase of the vehicle.
- The vehicles year.
- Bill of lading.
- Letter of employment.
- Import permit.
Most of the paperwork will be taken care of by your shipping company, such as import licenses, and other related documentation. Still, you should always be prepared with necessary identification for your vehicle in order to ensure a smooth shipping process. Duty-free vehicle imports into Laos can only be done by foreign diplomats.
We offer several shipping methods to Laos that vary, depending on your personal needs.
- Roll on, Roll off (RoRo): The roll on, roll off method is one of the most popular. Your vehicle is driven onto the ship, securely held in place, delivered to the port of choice, and then driven off the ship. In order for this method to be viable, your vehicle must operable. If you elect to use this shipping method, you cannot store personal items in your vehicle.
- Container Shipping: If you are looking to ship personal belongings with your vehicle, this may be the best shipping method for you. Your vehicle and personal belongings will be securely held in place and stored in a shipping container.
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations Laos Trade Regulations
- International Movers Association Laos Information Page
Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Laos
To get heavy equipment or oversized cargo shipped to Laos from the United States, it is to your advantage to hire reputable international transporters. At A1 Auto Transport, we can guarantee your cargo is shipped safely overseas by using state of the art transporting equipment and the latest shipping technology. With all that we have access to, there is hardly any type of heavy or oversized equipment we can’t have transported across the oceans.
If your curious what types heavy equipment and oversized cargo we are capable of transporting, here is a brief list to give you a better idea...
- Large Vehicles
- Heavy Machinery
- Farm Equipment
- Mining Equipment
- Industrial Equipment
- Paving Equipment
- Hydraulic Machinery
- Engineering Equipment and more…
As you can see, we have barely any limitations and the list provided above isn’t even a full list of the types of cargo we can ship. No matter what type of cargo you intend to ship to Laos, we will add on free free insurance coverage. This coverage may not protect the full value of your cargo but we offer additional insurance options at minimal fees.
International Transport Options through A1 for Heavy Equipment
We have several different methods of transport we offer for those who wish to ship large or heavy equipment overseas. All of these methods are completely safe methods of overseas transport yet what is available to you will depend on the type of equipment you’re shipping. Our trained representatives will assist you with your shipping options. For more info regarding our methods, we decided to provide you with a list and some specifications for each one...
- Container Transport
- Flat Rack Shipping
- Roll On/Roll Off Shipping
- Lift On/Lift Off Shipping
If your heavy equipment can squeeze safely into a 40ft container then you may be able to use this enclosed shipping service. The roll on/roll off shipping method is the most inexpensive open air transport service we have and it requires your vehicle or equipment drives onto and off of the ship using a ramp. Flat rack shipping secures your cargo to a metal frame before it’s placed on the boat, while lift on/lift off shipping is mostly recommended to crated cargo and those with inoperable vehicles.