With the current instability in Afghanistan, moving there due to work or as a returning citizen can be challenging. However, it is best to have your own personal vehicle shipped there and it can be termed as a necessity allowing you to commute with ease. The public transport situation is fragile and cannot be relied upon for regular transportation. Whether you are planning to stay there on a long term basis or are on short term work related tenure, it makes sense to have an experienced auto transport service help with the shipping. At A1 Auto Transport service, we have over 20 years helping transport vehicles all over the world and can help you through the processes as you ship your vehicle to Kabul.
Vehicle import restrictions
Afghanistan only allows vehicle import for expatriates, diplomats and foreigners that have valid work permits and visas. As a tourist, you are not allowed to bring in your vehicle. Additionally, duties and custom levies amount to 25% of the value of the vehicle, estimated by the Afghanistan Customs Department. However, diplomats have a fee waiver and they do not have to pay any taxes on vehicle import for personal use.
For shipping and importing vehicle, there is a requirement to submit documents pertaining to the import verification at the domestic US port and at Kabul. Some of the documents needed by the Customs Department include:
- Title deed and registration of the vehicle
- Car/vehicle purchase bill
- Shipping documents and Bill of Lading
- Ownership proof- passport, driving license
For diplomats, the documentation includes:
- Tax exemption form
- Request letter for clearing customs Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Copy of the diplomat’s passport
- Memo letter from NGO/Embassy
As the political instability is high, import procedures can take time and delays can be expected. It has been seen that diplomatic clearances take about 10 days and regulations change without any extensions. Thus, it is important to work with a shipping service that is conversant with the different procedures and can work with the customs. At A1 Auto Transport service, we advise that import documents need to be sent in advance so that before the shipment arrives, additional documents can be arranged. You need to be present when the vehicle is delivered in Kabul.
Afghanistan is a land locked country and if you are planning to move the car to Kabul through freight shipping, it is important to take the delivery in the neighboring country of Turkmenistan, Pakistan or Iran as they are closest countries that have a port. Further on, the vehicle can be transported by land or with regular barge traffic. River transportation through the Amu Darya is possible. You can ship through RORO or the container shipping method. In RORO, the car is driven off and on the ship and harnessed during transit. No personal belongings can be kept in the car apart from jack spare keys and tire.
However, container shipping is another method where the vehicle is harnessed within a twenty feet or forty feet container. This protects it from collision damage and secures it all through the transit. Personal belongings can be shipped along with the car.
Another way of getting your vehicle directly to Kabul is through air shipping as it can be delivered at the Kabul International airport. However, it is expensive and rarely used due to the associate cost.
Additionally, to smoothen out the details, you can contact Embassy of Afghanistan to get the latest regulations and requirements on car shipping from USA to Kabul.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?