Deliver Your Car Stress Free
- Compare rates for shipping to or from Jakarta
- Licensed, bonded and insured carriers ready to serve
- RORO, container & air freight transport overseas
- BBB A+ rated award winning service, always on time
- Get an instant quote using our form, or call: 1-800-518-8708
Jakarta is the capital of the Republic of Indonesia. It’s the largest city in the country and the official name is Special Capital Region of Jakarta. It is located on the island of Java and the city is the cultural, economic and political capital of the country.
You can import your vehicle to Jakarta, but there are some restrictions that you will need to abide by. Used cars are banned from being imported with the exception of those who have diplomatic business in Indonesia. New cars are allowed but, there is a government levy of 300% duty on the value of the vehicle. While this is very expensive, you will need to determine if paying this much is worth shipping your car over.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Documents to Import a New Vehicle.
With plenty of documentation to verify and validate before the import is considered legal by Indonesian Customs department. It is important to ensure that you have all documents in order. These include:
- Your passport and your spouse’s passport valid for twelve months.
- Original work permit.
- Original residence permit for both you and your spouse and it must be valid for one year.
- Customs application.
- Bank Guarantee.
- Letter of Authorization to the destination agent.
- Vaccination record, if required.
- Inventory of the container(if applicable).
Regulations at Customs.
There are plenty of Indonesian regulations that have to be adhered to when you are shipping a vehicle there. It is important to follow all regulations including:
- You must be in the country in order to clear.
- All shipments are inspected 100% of the time.
- In order to be duty free, a citizen from Indonesia must have lived abroad for at least three years and have had the vehicle in his/her possession for a minimum of two years and continues to use the vehicle while in Indonesia.
- For expatriates, the household goods must be in your possession for at least twelve months and be for your use on a private basis while in Indonesia and not to sell.
- Only one shipment of household goods is allowed duty-free; by air or by sea.
- Shipments must arrive within the three month time allowance issued on the KITAS Cards. Only place your name on all shipping boxes to avoid delays.
It normally takes seven to ten working days to clear a shipment in customs. This will, of course, be based on whether or not all documentation is correct. You will then need to pay all duties owed and then allow 3-4 days for cashier to clear payment before you can take your possessions. It takes 2-4 weeks to obtain a work and resident permit with a one year visa issued from the Indonesian Embassy or Consulate. Engine size of your vehicle cannot exceed 3,000 CC’s. The cars that exceed this size are only allowed in by special conditions.
Shipping Methods to Consider
There are shipping methods to Jakarta which you can choose from to ship by air or sea. It is essential to do some research and think about it because the costs vary and it siwll directly affect the total shipping cost.
Air shipping allows you to ship your car and you can drive it in Indonesia in less time than by sea. If you ship your vehicle by sea, you will be able to choose the Roll On/ Roll Off method or the container shipping method. The container shipping method offers you two sizes, 20 or 40 foot container sizes, that you can select from based on the size of your vehicle. You will be able to ship other items with your vehicle in a container.
Roll On/ Roll Off shipping method is another option. This option is more affordable and transports your vehicle on the deck of a ship. Your vehicle will need to be completely emptied in order to ship this method.