Dhaka is the capital of Bangladesh and is considered to be one of the fastest growing cities in the world. Though facing challenges of traffic congestion, crime and population apart from political upheaval in the recent past, Dhaka has seen an increase of direct foreign investment which has improved employment opportunities. With extensive gas reserves, development of industries has led to increased trade and commerce. Though undergoing major development in public transportation, bypass projects and metro system, it is easy to commute by public transport but having your own vehicle can make all the difference.
If you plan to work or stay in Dhaka, importing your vehicle requires meeting specific criteria. Just like importing from any other country, you’ll need to fill in hosts of documents, will have paperwork to complete and custom duty to pay. However, there may be delays in shipping due to the weather conditions as the area is prone to cyclones and flooding. However, it has improved custom laws, making import of vehicles comparatively easier in the last few years.
Documents for shipping cars
You will need some important documentation that is needed by the Custom department of Bangladesh, when you want to ship a vehicle to Dhaka. These include:
- Car registration documents
- Invoice of car purchase
- Owner’s passport and title deed
- Vehicle ownership documents
- Residence permit to Bangladesh
Additionally, if you need the delivery process to be expedited, you will be required to remove air conditioning gas and steam clean your vehicle before shipping so that it is not quarantined.
Getting the delivery of your vehicle in Dhaka
When the car is shipped, you need to take the delivery at Dhaka. There are numerous procedures that you need to complete before the vehicle is handed over. You will need to have the International driving license before you can drive in Dhaka. These include paying the custom duty, fees and other auto import taxes. You will require the emission tests are done and identification plate registered with the Bangladesh Road Transport Authority.
Methods of car shipping to Dhaka
There are two methods of shipping vehicles to Dhaka. The more affordable and popular option is Roll-on/Roll-Off (RORO) and Enclosed container shipping, which is comparatively more expensive.
- RO/RO shipping: Most companies and individuals choose this method as it is convenient and less expensive. The cars are harnessed and driven on/off the ship using the pre-set ramps. This is a cost effective way of shipping vehicles to Dhaka.
- Enclosed container shipping: If you have personal and household items to transport, you have the option of booking 20 feet or 40 feet containers independently or sharing it with others. It is either delivered to the new address in Dhaka or the owner can come and collect it from the depot. However, this is safer than RORO and is more expensive.
To know more about the details on car shipping to Dhaka, please browse more information on U.S. Embassy in Bangladesh.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?