Ship Car To Chennai
Domestic USA & International Auto Shipping
- Quote Calculator
Shipping a car to another country can seem like an overwhelming decision to make. When shipping your car to Chennai you need to know a little about the country, and a lot of the paperwork and regulations required to ship internationally. Chennai has become a popular city to reside in. Chennai is known as “Detroit of India” because of the automobile manufacturing business in the city. Shipping a personal vehicle is a welcome benefit for those who plan on being in Chennai for extended periods of time.
Before you ship your vehicle to Chennai you will need to know where the nearest shipping ports are to where you live in the United States. Your transport agent can help you with that information if you don’t already know. You’ll also need to know where the customs port for Chennai is located so you can pick your car up when it arrives in the city. You must be present in person when your car arrives and is taken through customs.
Chennai Motor Vehicle Regulations
When making arrangements to have your vehicle shipped to Chennai, there are some important Motor Vehicle Regulations that you need to know about. These are the regulations that Chennai has:
- Once your car arrives in Ahmedabad, you are required by Indian law to pick it up within 15 days if it is flown in and 30 days if it is shipped by sea
- Cars must be within four years old from the date of the import
- You must pay duty fees unless you have Diplomatic status and have had the fees exempted by the Indian Ministry of Affairs
- If your car is new, it must be imported only from the country of origin
- All imported cars must have the steering wheel on the right. Left-hand steering cars are not allowed to be imported to Chennai or anywhere in India
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
There are specific documents that you must have to be able to ship a vehicle to Chennai. Here is a list if the mandatory documents required to pass customs:
- Original Bill of Sale
- Import License
- Car Insurance Policy valid in India
- Car Title and Registration (Must be in your name)
- Original Bill of Lading (BL)
- Duty Exemption Certificate if you have gotten one from the Indian Ministry of External Affairs. Only those with Diplomatic Status may have duty fee exemption
Cost of shipping your vehicle
The cost will vary depending on the type of shipping you choose, delivery from door to door, and things such as the weight and size of your vehicle. Your agent will discuss all of the fees with you and you will want to make sure you get a final quote showing the total amount you will need to pay. The agent will also go over details that you will need to know about the types of shipping available, accessible exit and entry ports and the pricing. They will also let you know any detailing or fuel draining that may need to be done in preparation of shipping your car.
The Types of Shipping Available
- Ro-Ro Shipping– Ro-Ro Shipping is the preferred method that most vehicles are shipped overseas. The vehicle is simply driven up a ramp and onto the carrier where it is secured for shipment, and then driven down and off the carrier when it reaches the destination port.
- Container Shipping– When you choose to use a container for shipping your vehicle to Chennai, your vehicle will be placed inside of either a 20 foot or a 40-foot container and then lifted onto the carrier ship.
- Air Cargo Shipping– If you have a classic or luxury car that you want to arrive quickly, then shipping by air is the best way to go. Shipping by air is the fastest way to have your car arrive in Chennai.
Prior to shipping your vehicle to Chennai, you will need to fill out all mandatory paperwork. Your agent will help you with locating the paperwork needed. If you have any questions about international shipping or export laws in the United States you can contact your transport agent or you may contact the U.S Border and Protection Agency as they have all forms necessary for international shipping.