Cartagena is the 5th largest city in Colombia and home to three large container shipping ports. The Port Society of Cartagena, the Muelles El Bosque and the Container Terminal of Cartagena make shipping a vehicle to the city a relatively easy task to accomplish. International shipping is not the same as shipping from state to state within the same country. When you ship a vehicle to Cartagena you will need to follow some strict guidelines administered through Colombia Customs as well as rules set by the auto transport company that you hire for shipping services. Prior to shipping a vehicle internationally the shipping agent will require you to provide several legal documents. These documents include:
- Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
- Vehicle Title and Registration
- Vehicle Insurance Certificate
- Power of Attorney Statement (Signed)
You will need the Power of Attorney Statement in order to have the auto transport company provide pick-up and delivery service to transport or drive your vehicle to the exit port in the United States. There are more than ten Major Shipping Ports in the U.S. and your car will need to be delivered or personally driven to the one nearest you that provides shipping service to Cartagena. You will also need to acquire International Shipping Insurance for your vehicle for the overseas journey. This insurance can be obtained through the auto transport company if your personal auto insurance does not already include it.
Customs in Colombia will allow Diplomats to import used vehicles into Cartagena, but this without Diplomat status may only import new vehicles or vehicles less than one year old and with zero mileage accrued on them. Diplomats must provide a Diplomat registration form, an import permit, and a Diplomatic permit. These forms can be acquired through the Foreign Ministry, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Incomex Institute. You will also need a Quality Certificate from the Department of Environment. Your shipping agent will be able to assist you with accessing the necessary documents for Customs clearance or you can also contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency for further information. Failure to provide all of the necessary documents to Customs for clearance of the vehicle can result in the vehicle being held and large fines accessed for holding.
Ways to Ship to Cartagena
Your shipping agent will discuss the details of shipping your vehicle overseas and will let you know what preparations you may need to do with the vehicle prior to shipping. Be sure to get a detailed final quote in writing from the Shipper to confirm all total amounts that you will need to pay prior to as well as upon delivery of the vehicle. Depending on the way you choose to ship your vehicle, you may need to steam clean and/or remove all personal items and paperwork from the interior of the vehicle. There may also be exterior parts that may need to be removed prior to shipping internationally.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
There are three ways to ship a vehicle to Cartagena and these are the choices you will have:
- Ro-Ro Shipping– Ro-Ro Shipping literally means roll-on roll-off. This is the quickest and most efficient way to ship a vehicle internationally from the United States. It is also the most widely chosen form of sea transport for cars. Your vehicle is driven up a ramp onto the ship at the port in the U.S. and then driven off once it reaches Cartagena. You will need to remove all interior items and paperwork to ship with Ro-Ro.
- Container Shipping– Container Shipping is the perfect source for those who need to ship household goods and personal items along with their vehicle. Your vehicle and any personal belongings that need to be shipped can easily be loaded into a container (20 foot or 40 foot) and then loaded onto the ship for travel. Once the ship reaches the designated port in Cartagena the container will be unloaded and the vehicle may either be driven to your location or re-loaded to a train or truck for delivery.
- Air Shipping– When you need to have your vehicle in Cartagena as fast as possible, then shipping by air is the best choice for you. While a bit more expensive than shipping by sea, air shipping provides the quickest way to have access to your vehicle when you need it the most.
Shipping your vehicle to Cartagena is an easy process when the auto transport company is there to guide you through each step of the journey. Being able to drive your own vehicle in Cartagena will not only allow more freedom when traveling but will also provide a way to save money when you do not have to hire taxis or rental cars to get to and from the places you need to be.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?