Shipping Cars To Or From Port of Hilo, Hawaii
The Port of Hilo Harbor is located on the Hawai’i Island, also known as Hawaii County, in the US State of Hawaii. As the second biggest city in Hawaii, it is a major business center, not only in Hawaii county but the entire state. It is a port of entry to the island for the purposes of trade and tourism. Hawaii Department of Transportation’s Harbors Division manages the port. Vehicles are among the major commodities shipping through this port. Read on to learn more about shipping cars to or from Port of Hilo, Hawaii.
Cost & Time To Ship Your Car Examples
|Shipping To/From||Cost||Distance||Estimated Time In Transit|
|Las Vegas to Port of Hilo||$1131||2828 miles||7-11 days|
|Port of Hilo to Phoenix||$1140||2851 miles||7-11 days|
|Port of Hilo to Memphis||$1722||4305 miles||10-14 days|
|Port of Hilo to New Orleans||$1726||4315 miles||10-14 days|
|Port of Hilo to Chicago||$1829||4573 miles||11-15 days|
|Miami to Port of Hilo||$1961||4903 miles||12-16 days|
|Tucson to Port of Hilo||$2062||5154 miles||12-16 days|
|Boston to Port of Hilo||$2216||5541 miles||12-16 days|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and what type of vehicle you are shipping.
Car shipping through the Port of Hilo Harbor
The Harbors Division of the Hawaii DOT operates all three piers at the port. All the three piers can receive general container cargo and vehicles. Pier 2 has a platform that is used to load and unload roll-on/roll-off (Ro/Ro) cargo. So, the port can be used to ship cars in containers and through the Ro/Ro shipping method. The port has storage facilities auto transporters use before shipping the cars.
The port is a US Customs and Border Protection designated port of entry. It has customs officers that can inspect vehicles imported into the island from overseas. Please note that vehicles shipped from the other 49 states of the US need not be inspected as they already conform to the EPA and US DOT standards.
Finding a good Port of Hilo auto shipper
Not all US based transporters provide the services of shipping cars to or from Port of Hilo, Hawaii. There is a sea between mainland US and Hawaii. Therefore, the process of shipping to and from Hilo is more like the international car shipping process.
To find the right shipper to transport your car to or from Hawaii through Hilo:
- Find top auto transport companies on review sites such as Yelp, Consumer Affairs, BBB, and Transport Reviews.
- Find out if the car shipper you want to work with is experienced in shipping to and from Hawaii.
- Check the shippers licensing and safety records on the Federal Motor Carrier Security Authority website.
- Request quotes from several shippers to try and establish the average cost of the shipping. Never hire a shipper solely on price as a low quote could indicate poor services, and neither does a high price guarantee quality services.
- Ask about the shipper’s schedule. Often, you will find the shippers fleet is tied up in other transport jobs, such that they will take a lot of time before scheduling your shipment.
- Before hiring, make sure you ask for proof of insurance.
Car shipping services we offer at the Port of Hilo
We are an experienced, licensed, and insured transport company offering affordable shipping services at the Port of Hilo. We offer three main car transportation services in Hilo:
- International car shipping. We can ship from Hilo to a long list of overseas destinations and vice versa.
- Car transportation to and from the contiguous Us states and Alaska.
- Over land car transportation within the Hawaii Island.
If you are seeking the services of shipping cars to or from Port of Hilo, Hawaii, look no further. Request a free quote on this page. For more information, call us on (800) 452-2880.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.