When you need to ship a car either interstate or internationally there is more to the process than just finding the best auto carrier and booking a date for transportation. Any legitimate carrier would require certain proof of documentation which is required to safeguard your vehicle as well as their company. This is a complete list of all the documents required for submission during interstate or international car transportation.
For interstate shipments using an auto transport company, you must provide the company with documents that prove the car belongs to you. Within the United States, all car owners are required to provide auto carrier with
- Original registration and title, if the car is leased or financed in other words if there is a lien on the vehicle then you will be required to provide proof in the form of a notarized letter from the bank acknowledging the shipment.
- you must provide a copy of your car insurance, this will however not be accepted if the insurance is expired.
- Photo identification will be required in the form of an unexpired driver’s license or unexpired passport from your country of origin.
- If for some reason you are acting on the behalf of someone else, that is to say, the car is not registered in your name then you must provide a notarized letter written by them stating their name and VIN number of the automobile.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
For overseas shipping of vehicles, some of the documentation required is the same as that of interstate shipments such as
- The original registration and original title.
- It is usually difficult to transport cars that are leased or financed overseas but not impossible. It will require the bank’s notarized consent along with three copies of the ‘Certificate of Title’ which have been certified by the bank.
- Like with interstate shipments you will need to submit the unexpired car insurance and unexpired driver’s license or passport as proof of identity.
- You will also need to submit the Bill of Sale or a copy which has been notarized.
- Documents that prove that you had paid the state sales tax on the vehicle when you purchased it.
- You will also need to pay the import duty or the tax that is levied on both the country the car is coming from and going to.
- If the vehicle is being imported or exported by you on behalf of someone else then you are required to submit an original document stating Power of Attorney.
These documents are vitally important when you need to ship a car both for your own protection and for that of the auto carrier. It proves that the car you are providing and they are transporting is not stolen. Without these documents being in order, it is not possible to ship a car in or out of the United States.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?