- Why Transporting Your Bike By Riding Over It Is Not A Cool Idea?
- Best Options For Interstate Motorcycle Transport
- Transporting A Motorcycle Using A Freight Company
- Transport Your Motorcycle Using An Independent Hauler
- Transport Your Motorcycle Using Professional Motorcycle Logistics Services
- The Step-By-Step Method To Ship Your Motorcycle Interstate
- Step 1 Get Interstate Motorcycle Transport Quotes From Multiple Logistic Companies
- Step 2 Decide On “How” You Would Like To Move Your Bike
- Step 3 Collaborate With The Shipping Company
- Prepare Your Motorcycle For Transport
- Benefits Of Using Motorcycle Transport And Logistics Services
- What Is The Cost Of Moving Motorcycle Interstate?
- Understanding The Cost To Transport A Motorcycle
- Dimension Of Your Bike (Size, Weight, And Modification)
- Mode Of Transportation Open Or Closed
- The Route Of The Transportation
- Time Frame Of Delivery
- Season Of The Year
In this article you’ll get a handle on interstate motorcycle transport.
So, if you are an individual looking forward to moving their bike from one state to another, or you want to purchase a brand new bike that will be shipped to you from miles away, you’ll find this guide helpful.
Wait, what? Do you think transporting your bike by yourself would be much more adventurous than hiring a logistics company’s services?
Well… That’s easier said than done!
Many interstate motorcycle carrier services are relatively inexpensive compared to riding your bike 3000 miles across and having to stop for gas, meals, and lodging.
And, do you have the know-how to transport your bike safely? Unfortunately, many things can go wrong during a long-distance ride.
So, it’s always wise to take professional help.
Let’s start by understanding “Why” DIY transporting your bike isn’t the best option.
Why Transporting Your Bike by Riding over it is NOT A Cool Idea?
Take a look at some of the reasons you should rely on a logistics motorcycle shipping carrier than transporting your bike by yourself:
- It is Time-Consuming: The time you would spend transporting your bike from one state to another can be better used in other productive activities that are more beneficial to you.
- Riding Your Bike by Yourself can be Stressful: At first, it might seem like an adventure, BUT riding a bike for so long takes a toll on your body. You won’t be comfortable riding it after a few hours.
- Your Bike Might Experience Wear and Tear: Long-distance rides can be hard for your bike. It might get affected by the small rocks on the trail, and it might get scratches.
- Safety is the BIGGEST Concern: While riding your bike on the longer route, you might get fatigued. The same can happen with the other drivers on the road, so there will always be a risk of an unexpected incident.
- You’ll have to Bear Other Expenses: Bike riding for a long time can be expensive. You’ll be spending your money on fuel-refilling, at food stops, and once you’re tired, at rest stops, as well.
- Your Options to Take Your Gear with You Are Limited: You might need your belongings at different stops at the longer trails. In addition, handling your stuff on a longer track is difficult.
3 Best Options for Interstate Motorcycle Transport
Moving is a part of life. Whether relocating or traveling from one state to another, you often have to take your goods with you.
But shipping the bike interstate is the last thing people think about while transitioning. Many assume that moving a motorcycle interstate would be a thriftier option and would include a lot of hassle. So, they find selling their bike much more feasible than shipping it.
However, what to do when you have some emotional attachment to your motorcycle and have many memories associated with it?
You’ll probably don’t like to sell your precious bike while relocating. Right?
To help you take your sweet ride with you, here we have given the three best options that you might consider for your bike transport with their pros and cons.
Transporting a Motorcycle Using a Freight Company
The first option on the list is to ship your motorcycle using local or national freight companies. These companies specialize in moving large shipments country-wide. They know how to load your bike safely and deliver it to your desired destination in the best possible state.
- Freight companies are a reliable way of transporting your motorcycle.
- They have a quick delivery service. Usually, the transit time of freight moving companies is 3-7 days, and you can expect to receive your bike within this time frame.
- Freight companies mostly lack experience and equipment for shipping motorcycles.
- You often have to supply a custom crate to enclose your bike.
- If you don’t provide the shipping company with the correct dimensions, you might handle the hidden cost.
Transport Your Motorcycle Using an Independent Hauler
If you do your research, you’ll find dozens of independent haulers willing to haul almost anything and everything for you from destination A to B. They are more likely available to transport your motorcycle as well.
- Independent haulers can be an affordable option to ship your motorcycle.
- The independent haulers might not be familiar with shipping motorcycles.
- They may not have the right equipment to do the job.
- Additional insurance policies are non-existent with these service providers. They might have the basic insurance (that they need to operate), but that’s not enough to cover the damages.
Transport Your Motorcycle Using Professional Motorcycle Logistics Services
Out of all these non-DIY options, the best way for interstate motorcycle transport is to use professional logistics services. Below is a brief analysis of some of the pros and cons of using specialized motorcycle transport services.
- They are well-equipped with the transportation material that must be used to haul your bike safely.
- They have experience dealing with the shipments of two-wheeler cargo and know how to handle your load well and transport it to the delivery destination without damaging it.
- The professional motorcycle shipping companies provide door-to-door motorcycle transport services.
- You do not have to provide any crate or get the loading work done; they handle it all.
- They give you options to choose a particular shipping method for your transit.
- They provide you with a streamlined and safe experience.
- Professional motorcycle logistics companies take care of everything throughout the process by themselves. So, you might find their cost a bit higher than DIY-ing or the other two options.
The Step-by-Step Method to Ship Your Motorcycle Interstate
Whether you are up to shipping your bike, superbike, or scooter interstate, you can make your transit process effortless by following this step-by-step method.
Step 1: Get Interstate Motorcycle Transport Quotes from Multiple Logistic Companies
Gather interstate motorcycle shipping quotes from different logistic companies. By doing so, you’ll get a good range of prices from the various moving companies. The next step is to research each shipping company and know what transportation services they offer. Then, please read some of their reviews.
After you have found some companies that offer services that fit your budget and have good customer service, you can settle on the one that matches perfectly with your shipping requirements.
Opting for a logistics company specializing in MOTORCYCLE SHIPPING will be the best bet for you!
Pro tip: Read reviews about the shipping company under consideration on third-party websites to double-check its trustworthiness. Also, don’t forget to check its FMCSA licensing.
Step 2: Decide on “HOW” You Would Like to Move Your Bike
You have got two options to ship your bike. Either through open trailers or enclosed trailers!
Here’s the difference:
Open Trailer: The cheaper option to ship your bike is to move it through available trailers. In the open trailer shipping method, your bike is exposed to elements. But, as the open-trailers don’t hold many bikes at once, they ship faster and are ideal for shorter distances.
Enclosed Trailer: This shipping method is more expensive than the open-trailer mode. However, in an enclosed trailer, your bike would be safe from potential damages as the shipping companies haul more bikes in an enclosed container so that the overall transition might take a longer time.
This transition mode is the best fit for longer distances.
Now, which way do you want to ship your bike? You decide!
Step 3: Collaborate With the Shipping Company
Collaborating with your transportation company will save you from any unexpected hassle you might face in the transitioning process.
The shipping company will get in touch with you before the pickup. If your bike is new, talk to your seller and ask if they can handle delivering your bike to the shipping company for you. If they are okay with it, you can also share your seller’s contact details with your shipping company BUT expect to pay some extra money to your seller to do this favor.
Your shipping driver will complete the shipment inspection with your seller on the pickup day. Then, both parties will sign a form to show agreement on the condition of the shipment. Finally, the delivery driver will safely load the motorcycle and bring it to you when the paperwork is finished.
Prepare Your Motorcycle for Transport
Suppose your motorcycle is brand new and shipped directly from the seller, which needs no preparatory work from you! It just needs some safety precautions to prevent scratches and elements, which your shipment service will take care of.
You can keep calm and wait for your bike to reach you.
Contrarily, if you are shipping the old bike that has been traveling with you for quite some time, you’ll have to go an extra mile to prepare it for transport. Here are some preparation steps for your bike that you can do to make your motorcycle ready for transportation:
- First, wash your motorcycle to remove all the dirt and debris.
- Check the fluids and leakages (resolve if there are any)
- Inspect the battery.
- Check the tire pressure.
- Remove all the accessories of your bike and pack them separately.
- Reduce the fuel level of your cycle (at least up to 1/4th of the tank).
- If your bike has any, look for dents, damages, or scratches (if your bike has any).
- Document the current physical and mechanical condition of your motorcycle.
Benefits of Using Motorcycle Transport and Logistics Services
When you choose a motorcycle transport service, you don’t have to get into the hassle of handling everything. They’ll move your bike in a well-organized way, load it carefully, lock it securely, and take active measures to avoid any potential damage.
We’ll discuss the top benefits of availing motorcycle transport logistics services for your interstate motorcycle transport.
- Faster: When you ship your bike with a professional shipping company, it reaches the destination faster. Moreover, the logistic companies are well-versed with the routes, so they ensure your shipping reaches its destination at the time you expect it to be.
- Safer: Motorcycle shipping companies use enclosed boxes and ship your bike in safe vehicles. So, the chances of your bike getting chipped or scratched are slim to none.
- Affordable: Shipping a motorcycle through logistics is more affordable than riding it yourself.
- Convenient: The best logistic companies make the transit procedure smoother for you by offering you personalized services. They also guide you through the process to make the RIGHT choices.
- Motorcycle Shipping Companies Offer Great Customer Service: When you carry out your transportation with the best interstate motorcycle transport company, you can rest at ease because your shipping will reach on time and free from any fuss.
What is the Cost of Moving Motorcycle Interstate?
Shipping a motorcycle from one state to another isn’t cheap, but it’s far better than consuming your energies, time, and money on the transition. However, the cost of moving your long-distance bike ranges somewhere between $200 and $600.
Understanding the Cost to Transport a Motorcycle
A significant factor that will help you settle on a motorcycle transport company is the overall cost of their service. There’s not a set range of charges, of course. Instead, the shipping prices may vary based on different factors.
Below we are breaking down some standard variables that will help you identify the cost of your motorcycle transport.
The first and foremost thing that will affect the overall cost of your motorcycle transport is the distance between your transportation locations.
The rule of thumb here is the farther the distance, the higher the motorcycle transport price. And, it takes no rocket science to determine “why.” Of course, it’s due to increased:
- Labor charges
- Fuel costs
- Ferry costs
- Toll prices
Dimension of Your Bike (Size, Weight, and Modification)
The dimensions of your motorcycle contribute significantly to the cost of transportation.
Furthermore, the modifications you have made to your bike also impact your transportation cost. Such as changing the size of your motorcycle tires and the seat adjustments (lowered or lifted).
Mode of Transportation: Open or Closed
There are two modes of transporting a motorcycle. Either ship it through an open trailer or an enclosed trailer.
The open-trailer method is the cheap motorcycle transport mode, but it doesn’t offer your bike a high level of security. On the flip side, enclosed trailers are safer, but they charge more for providing this safety feature.
If you have enough budget and time, an enclosed trailer is the way to go. However, consider the open-trailer shipping method if you are budget-minded and need your motorcycle as early as possible.
The Route of the Transportation
When you live in the cities or an area that’s easily accessible, you have the edge over those living in the rural areas. Expect to pay less when your pickup and delivery destinations are on popular routes.
The reason? Because the logistics companies don’t have to take out extra time to drive to your location and perform the transportation.
Time Frame of Delivery
Want your motorcycle transported immediately?
You’ll have to pay more to a shipping company as they have to prioritize your delivery. And, they are going to charge you more. But, on the other hand, if you aren’t in a hurry and opt for a flexible delivery time frame, your transportation charges will be lesser.
Season of the Year
Be ready to pay more shipping price if you need to carry out your shipment in the peak months of the year. Like other logistics services, motorcycle shipping companies also raise their prices on the demand for a particular route for a specific season of the year. So when your bike has to move through the high-demand road, it raises the price tag of the transit.
That’s because the demand for service in that area is high, and the shipping companies have to use more resources to make the deliveries happen in the requested time frame for their clients.
With that, we have come to the end of our blog post. Hopefully, now you know everything you need to transport your bike and are ready to make your move.
We know your motorcycle for you is more than just transport. It’s a travel partner for you. Unfortunately, locating a transporter to transport your motorcycle interstate is a daunting task. Again, getting quotes from different logistic companies and deciding on one perfect logistics service is not easy. You might, at first, think interstate motorcycle transport will cost you an arm and a leg through logistics.
But, believe it or not, this is the best option.
Mind that when you work with a shipping company specializing in motorcycle transport, your bike will roll up on your garage’s door in the promised time frame in perfect condition.
And that’s all that matters!