Shipping a POV or personally owned vehicle is without a doubt a lot more affordable than you might think. However, for active duty service members, you will also be able to have your private car shipped free of charge using US Military POV Shipping Ports.
Depending on whether you serve in the Navy, Army, and Air Force or are part of the Marine Corps, the provisions for shipping could be a bit different. For those who are serving in the Army or in the Air Force, a POV (privately owned vehicle) must arrive at least 30 days after the departure for a tour which is less than a year and 90 days for tours which are taking more than a year. For Marines and Navy, you need to have at least one year of service remaining in order to get the vehicle delivered free of charge with US Military POV Shipping Ports. With this in mind, you might want to fill out the U.S. Department of Defense forms in order to get everything ordered officially.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Turning the car for shipping.
The first thing you need to do is to contact the TMO/TO and get the necessary documentation. If you don’t have it – the vehicle wouldn’t get the approval. You would also review the Part IV of the Defense Transportation Regulation and determine whether there are certain additional requirements that you’d have to take into account. However, the documents that you need to get are as follows:
- Complete IAL Shipping Form.
- ID Proof – ID issued by the state/government – VALID.
- Ownership proof – it must be in your name.
- Shipping proof – you need three copies of the official orders. If you intend to store the vehicle, you need copies of the storage authorization form as well.
- Owned vehicles – you need a legible copy of the title – both on the front and on the back.
- A vehicle with liens on them – in order to ship outside of the country you need to provide a signed and notarized authorization letter from the lien-holder which authorizes the exportation of the car.
- Leased vehicles – if you want to ship out of the country, you would need a special signed and dated authorization letter from the leasing company.
Important shipping points.
- Atlanta: 3025 Sylvian Road, Atlanta, GA. 30354.
- San Diego: 11433 Woodside Ave, Santee, CA 92071.
- Charleston, S.C.: 3601 N. Meeting St., North Charleston, SC 29405.
- Baltimore: 17079 Midway Road, Odenton, MD 21113.
- Dallas: 957 Heinz Way, Grand Prairie, TX 75051.
- Los Angeles: 14611 S. Broadway St, Gardena, CA 90248.
- Seattle: 654 Milwaukee Ave. N, Algona, WA 98001.
- Norfolk, Va.: 1215 Executive Blvd, Chesapeake, VA 23320.
- St. Louis: 13918 St. Charles Rock Rd, Bridgeton, MO 63044.
Rules and Regulations.
At A1 Auto Transport service, we are one of the few companies that have extensive experience in moving POVs within US and overseas using the facilities at US Military POV Shipping Ports. It is essential to know that you would be eligible for POV transportation if you adhere by those regulations:
- You are a member of the aforementioned forces.
- You are a retiree who is, however, authorized to ship POV.
- You are a DOD civilian and you have authorization orders.
You are entitled to ship only one single vehicle for your own personal use at the expenses of the government. If you want to ship an additional one, you need to check in with the transportation office because you might need to pay certain duties.
Limitations in terms of vehicles.
You are only entitled to export self-propelled and also wheeled motor vehicles. This means that you can go for vans, pickups, automobiles, station wagons as well as motorcycles, scooters, and jeeps. Other vehicles may also qualify but this might require you to get a certification which states that the car is designated for personal use only. POVs for low riders with modifications need to have not less than 6 inches of clearance in order to prevent any kind of damage during the loading and offloading.
You can ship a vehicle up to 20 measurement tons. One measurement ton is equal to exactly 40 cubic feet. This is for your own reference. For instance, one regular vehicle is usually around 9 and 15 measurement tons. If the vehicle exceeds that limit, you might have to pay certain costs.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?