Direct auto transport, also known as door to door service is a convenient method of having your car picked or delivered to your address. The opposite of this method is the terminal to terminal transport. Understanding this transportation method will help you make the right choice for your shipment. The door to door service has various benefits. But first, let’s see how it works. Basically, there are three options available for the direct auto transport.
Open air transport
This is an ideal option for shipping several cars at an affordable cost. Usually, cars are loaded on trailers and are visible from the outside while in transit. About 90% of cars in the United States are transported through this method. Generally, it is a safe method for both old and new vehicles. You may have your car transported through;
- Bottom load: your car is transported at the lowest deck with other cars above it. The main concern for this transportation is that your car is prone to damages due to road debris and car leaks. However, your car will be fairly sheltered from the sun, heavy rain, the wind, and tree branches.
- Top load: this is a preferred option for many new car owners. Your car is placed at the top most level on the trailer. If you are concerned about the road debris and car leaks, you may request for the top load option. This service usually comes at an extra cost as the trucker has to rearrange the trailer to accommodate your preferences. However, your car could still be affected by the snow, sun, tree branches or falling objects.
With the enclosed transport, your car is covered with a canvas, vinyl, or a container while in transit. Cars using this service are sheltered from the rain, the sun, road debris, and public eyes. This option is premium and mostly preferred for luxurious and high-end cars. Statistics show that there is an annual car theft amounting to half a million vehicles in the United States. You might want to offer your high-value car an extra protection.
Lastly, under the direct auto transport, you may use a flatbed truck. Here the trailer is flat without side walls or a roof. Cars are easily loaded and unloaded from the truck. This is an ideal method when you are transporting a small vehicle such as a motorbike or a car. It is also good for heavy loads.
Why the direct auto transport?
When your car is picked and delivered at your preferred location, you:
- Enjoy the convenience. You do not have to drive the car to a terminal. As a result, you do not have to take another vehicle to deliver or pick your car.
- Meet the driver who will be transporting your car. You will personally talk to your driver about your concerns and get their contacts. This is important for your peace of mind.
- See how your car is loaded onto the carrier as well as see how our car will be transported.
- Avoid transferring your car from one carrier to another. If you are concerned about your car being handled by multiple carriers, you will love the door to door service.
- Track your car from the pickup to the delivery location
- Can transport a wide range of vehicles. These automobiles can be small, large, standard, and luxurious vehicles.
When to use direct auto transport
As we have seen the direct transport might be the ideal service you need. But is it for everyone? Here are the conditions best for the door to door transport:
- Major cities. The door to door service is ideal in metropolitan towns for their large population and wide streets. Basically, a driver moves around picking or dropping vehicles. This service can only make sense if there are many clients shipping cars. And large cities are just the place with a high demand for car shipping. Secondly, the developed infrastructure in the metropolitan towns makes movement easy. As such, the driver does his job faster.
- Cost. As you can guess, the convenience of the method comes at an extra cost. When your shipper comes to collect or drop your car, they use their fuel and time. This is billed to you.
The direct auto transport is convenient and offers your other benefits as listed above. If you would like to go with this option, visit our site and book today.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.