How To Ship Your Smart
There are several options available to those who decide they want to bring their Smart with them when they move house. Being a small car, you can choose to ship it in a container with the rest of the household belongings, or simply have it moved in a dedicated car shipment vessel. Whatever the decision, we have your back.
For land transport, there are several options available.
- Enclosed or open carriers typically carry one vehicle, and can either be the completely closed container or the open type carrier.
- Multi-car trailers are typically open, but carry up to ten cars for every carrier. They are typically less costly, and might involve the picking up and off-loading of some vehicles along the way.
- Non-stacking trailers are a smaller version of the multicar trailers, which carry up to about three vehicles per trailer
- Multi-level car carriers are those open carriers which have cars on different levels or tiers. The levels are significant because cars at the lowest levels are considered susceptible to potential damage by road debris. Top loading, or having one’s car transported at the top level, is therefore more expensive here.
Deciding on the car shipment type depends on many things. Budget is of course the biggest consideration for many, but apart from prices, the dimensions and transportation needs of one’s car might require a specific type of auto transportation. For instance, when shipping a vintage car, an enclosed single car trailer is perhaps the best option. Here, there is no risk of damage from oil leaks in cars on the upper decks, or damage from exposure to debris or weather elements. When shipping an SUV or larger vehicle, size matters. Remove extra accessories like spoilers to reduce the chances of oversize fees. Our company representatives will go through all these considerations with the client before they have them sign the paperwork.
Air and ocean freight
Air transport is the quickest shipping method, whether domestic or international. While more expensive, the exclusivity of air transport might of great appeal to a select group of clients. Freight transport is common for overseas shipment, either by container or through the roll on and roll off technique. Roll on/roll off simply means driving the vehicle into the ship and securing it below deck. Container shipment is of course more secure especially for more valuable vehicles. However, one should not be too bothered about the roll off/ roll on storage. We always work closely with our international shipment clients, helping them through the difficult details of their shipment and securing their vehicles whatever the mode of shipment they choose.
One of company’s strongest points is the amount of pre-shipment advice we give. For instance, we make sure the client has a record of all the details of the car’s condition when it is handed over. We make sure all belongings are removed from the vehicle since our insurance generally does not cover these. We will go through the vehicle to make sure our insurance covers everything that is in the vehicle before setting the process off.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory