Ship Your Car To Or From Sierra Leone
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Vehicle transport costs to Sierra Leone usually run between $3,000 and $6,000 for a standard vehicle.
- Costs can go higher for oversize vehicles that don’t fit inside of an intermodal shipping container (such as SUVs and larger trucks).
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Sierra Leone
|San Jose, CA to (California port) to Freetown||$200||$4,400||5+48|
|Boston, MA to (New York port) to Freetown||$400||$3,700||5+31|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Freetown||$475||$4,400||6+48|
|Seattle, WA to (California port) to Freetown||$550||$4,400||6+48|
|Columbus, OH to (New York port) to Freetown||$550||$3,700||5+31|
|Detroit, MI to (New York port) to Freetown||$575||$3,700||6+31|
|Chicago, IL to (New York port) to Freetown||$675||$3,700||6+31|
|Denver, CO to (California port) to Freetown||$775||$4,400||7+48|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Freetown||$800||$3,700||6+31|
|Dallas, TX to (California port) to Freetown||$1,025||$4,400||7+48|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
When making plans to export your car to Sierra Leone, there are many factors that will need to be taken care of prior to shipping. First, you will need to hire a reputable transport company to handle the shipping. Next you will need to provide specific documents to the transporter as well as to customs and you will need to fill out quite a bit of paperwork.
Last, you will need to discuss with your auto transporter whether you will need the car to be picked up and driven to the exit port or picked up and delivered to you at your new home in Libya. Relocating is a stressful endeavor to take on, and your auto transporter will work with you to ensure that everything goes smoothly when it comes to preparing and having your car shipped internationally. The agent at the transport company will assist you in locating paperwork that will need to be filled out, and they will let you know what documents you will need to provide. The Federal Maritime Commission has an excellent article that details various International Laws and procedures to shipping internationally.
There are certain customs regulations that you must adhere to when moving your vehicle to Sierra Leone. You can gain valuable information on Visa and Customs regulations by contacting the Embassy of Sierra Leone in Washington, DC. They can assist you with import laws for personal items as well as vehicles and pets.
Popular Shipping Destinations
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Sierra Leone
- Original Certificate of Title and Registration
- Original Bill of Sale on Vehicle
- OBL- registration number, engine and chassis number, cubic capacity, make and model and year manufactured must be included
- Residence Permit for Sierra Leone
- Driver’s License
- International Insurance Policy on Vehicle
- Taxes based on the vehicle value, make, model and year as well as size and accessories on vehicle will be paid in amounts that range from 5% up to 110% of the value of vehicle
List of Required Documents
- Driver’s License
- Social Security card
- Original Vehicle Title
- Certificate of Power of Attorney if you will not be physically present when delivering the car to the exit port or picking the car up at the port in Sierra Leone
- Vehicle Insurance Policy
Before you finalize the shipping plans you need to make sure that the auto shipping company has provided you with a fully disclosed quote that included shipping fees and pick-up and delivery fees if applicable. Your agent will go over the types of shipping available for your specific needs and will let you know what you will need to do to prepare your vehicle for international shipping. You can also contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency for more information on International Shipping laws and necessary paperwork that you will be required to have when shipping your vehicle.
What methods of shipping are available to Sierra Leone?
There are three ways to have your vehicle shipped to Sierra Leone and those ways are:
- Ro-Ro Shipping- Ro-Ro shipping is the quickest and least expensive way to ship your vehicle internationally. Vehicles are driven onto the ship and secured into place with straps and wooden blocks to prevent instability. When shipping with Ro-Ro you will need to make sure all personal items have been removed from the vehicle. Your auto shipper will give you details on times for shipping and the length of time it will take for the vehicle to arrive in Sierra Leone.
- Container Shipping - When you ship your vehicle in a container aboard a freightliner you will be able to ship personal items along with the vehicle. Containers can be utilized in either 20 feet (for single cars) or 40 feet (Usually for two vehicles) as well as enough space for your necessary personal possessions.
- Air Shipping - Air shipping is the fastest way to have your vehicle delivered internationally. It is the most expensive choice for shipping but is a great benefit if you need your vehicle in a short amount of time or if you have a luxury or classic auto that you want delivered fast. You can also have personal items shipped with your vehicle when you choose to ship by air.
Your auto shipper will work with you to help determine the shipping method that will be most beneficial for you and your vehicle. You can also make arrangements with them to pick your vehicle up in the United States and drive it to the exit port, and pick it up when it reaches the port in Sierra Leone if you will not be able to pick it up in person.
Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Sierra Leone
Whenever you need to have heavy equipment or oversized cargo delivered to another country it’s wisest to hire a reputable international transport company for their services. You need to have access to quality shipping equipment and modern technologies to safely ship any type of cargo outside of the U.S. Not to mention, you will need an understanding of how foreign import policies work and how to comply with them in order to gain permission for your equipment’s entrance into the nation. At A1 Auto Transport, we have access to everything we need and our staff is extremely familiar with the laws of other nations.
To ship your cargo to Sierra Leone through A1, call in to discuss all your options. Once we know more about the equipment, we will have a better idea of what is available to you. Luckily, there aren’t many types of heavy equipment or oversized cargo we can’t have delivered for you.
Types of Heavy Equipment or Oversized Cargo We Can Ship Overseas
- Pontoon Boat
- Agricultural Equipment
- Air Drill
- Cold Planer
- Log Loader
- Pneumatic Roller
- Skid Steer Loader
- Asphalt Paver
- Boom Lifts
- Construction Equipment and Materials
- Crawler Loaders
- Farm Equipment
- Large or Heavy Trucks
- Industrial Plant Equipment
- Motor Graders
- Scissor Lifts and More…
Details About Each of A1’s Overseas Transport Methods
A1 has four methods of international transport to offer customers. Depending on the type of cargo you want delivered into Sierra Leone, only some of these methods may be available to you. Nevertheless, to give you some idea of what we have to offer, here is a list of our transport services...
- Flat Rack Shipping
- Container Shipping
- Roll On/Roll Off Shipping
- Lift On/Lift Off Shipping
Flat rack shipping is an open air service that fastens your equipment to large metal frame before it is placed on the ship. The frame holds the cargo in place so that it doesn’t risk shifting during its transport. Lift On/Lift Off shipping is usually suggested to those with inoperable vehicles, construction equipment, and crated cargo. Roll On/Roll Off shipping is the least expensive open air service. Your vehicle or equipment must drive onto and off of the ship with the help of a ramp. Container shipping is an enclosed service that provides the greatest amount of protection from outside elements such as inclement weather.
Related Information & FAQs
- Affordably shipping a car to Sierra Leone
- What is the cost of shipping a car to Sierra Leone from the US?
- Learn all about shipping cars to Sierra Leone from the USA
- Is the cost of shipping a car to Sierra Leone through an experienced overseas transporter worth it?
- How much will the import taxes cost to ship a car from the US to Sierra Leone?
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.