The largest city and capital of Latvia, Riga is the most populated among all the cities. It lies on the Gulf of Riga and is at the banks of the River Daugava. A member of the Eurocities, Union of Capitals of the European Union and the Union of Baltic cities, it has grown by leaps and bounds after the downfall of the Soviet Union.
If you are planning to move to Riga or have already moved there, to bypass the language and currency issues, you can import your vehicle from USA. However, before the vehicle can be shipped, a lot of paperwork and regulations need to be completed. Although the roads aren’t good but most of the main highways are well-paved while the secondary roads need to be paved. As a popular city to reside in, Riga has a lot of expatriates. To facilitate import of vehicles there are some specific rules to adhere to.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Motor vehicle regulations.
Before you import your vehicle to Riga, it is important to know the closest port in USA to transfer the vehicle. With the Port of Riga being the largest port in the country, your vehicle will be delivered quickly. That is why it is best to work with an experienced international auto transporting service like A1 Auto Transport service. We understand the most affordable ways to ship your vehicle, so call us today.
Vehicle regulations in Latvia.
There are some regulations that Latvia has which need to be followed. It is important that you know about it because the complete process is complex and it is important that the vehicle you import meets the requirements:
- Only 1 year import status given on a temporary basis.
- Vehicles that are over seven years old are taxed higher VAT of 18%
- New or vehicles less than 7 years are taxed 10% import duty and 10% VAT.
- Name of the vehicle owner has to be on the title deed.
The import duty is levied on the basis of the value of the car. Apart from custom and excise charges, there are additional charges of VAT and other levies based on the cost of the vehicle. If the vehicle has depreciated, the taxes will be reduced automatically.
Important documents to submit.
To ship a vehicle to Riga, you need to ship your vehicle with all the required documentation to ensure that it is a legal procedure. You need to ensure that you submit the documents which include:
- Bill of sale of vehicle.
- Latvian import license.
- S Insurance.
- International driving license.
- Passport and photo ID of owner.
- Clear title deed of the vehicle.
- Registration papers.
The cost of shipping your car or any other vehicle will depend on a lot of factors, including the method of shipment you select. If you want additional services of ‘door to port’ or port to port services, they will increase the total cost. A1 Auto Transport service will go over the costs which will include the size and weight of your vehicle. There are some limitations if you are shipping by Roll-on/Roll-Off, but we will walk you through the entire process.
Freight shipping methods to Latvia.
Air shipping is quick but extremely expensive and thus, most people use out this option. Generally, container shipping and Roll-on/Roll-Off is the best ways to get the vehicle delivered in Riga. In RORO, the vehicle is driven on the off the ship but it has to be completely clean, empty and only then it can be shipped using this method. Whether as in Container shipping method, you can pack your personal items and other household goods alongside the vehicle within the 20 feet or 40 feet container that you hire.
To know the latest on the import requirements, talk with A1 Auto Transport service or call the Embassy of the Republic of Latvia.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory