Shipping a car to another country can seem like a stressful task and must be done per strict regulations with both customs as well as the international auto transport company. When you hire an auto shipper to transport your car internationally to Port Elizabeth, South Africa, you will need to provide specific documents to the transport company prior to shipping. These documents include:
- Driver’s License
- Social Security Number (Card)
- Title to Vehicle’
- Insurance Certificate for Vehicle
- Power of Attorney Affidavit if the car will need picked up or delivered
Your agent will help prepare you for the shipment of your car so that everything goes smoothly. The agent at the transport company will give you details on methods of shipping available, documents you will need for customs, paperwork that will need to be filled out, and what you will need to do to get your car ready for international travel. They will also let you know if you will be able to ship items along with your car, depending on the type of shipping you choose. If you will need to have someone pick your car up at your home or office and deliver it to the exit post nearest your location, or pick the car up in Port Elizabeth, your agent will include that in your total shipping cost. You can also speak to someone at U.S. Customs to get further information on international import and export regulations. If you would like more detailed information on the cost of shipping your car overseas and what you may need to do prior to shipping, you can read this article for more information.
Motor Vehicle Regulations in Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth has strict policies on shipping a car into the city. The present regulations are as follows:
- Only right-hand driving vehicles are allowed to be imported
- Only one car per individual or family is allowed for import
- Residents returning to South Africa must pay full import duties and taxes to customs.
- Immigrants to Pretoria may not sell the vehicle for at least two years
- Those who will be temporary residents will need to pay full import duties and taxes and must have a valid temporary import permit.
- Foreign Diplomats do not pay any import duties or taxes but must provide their Diplomatic Certificate.
- South African Embassy will provide a Special Import Permit when applied for while the car is still in the United States prior to importation, therefore, this must be taken care of prior to your entering Pretoria, South Africa.
You will also need to provide the following paperwork to customs when your car reaches the checkpoint for clearance:
- Temporary License
- Bill of Sale
- Import Permit
- Original Vehicle Registration
- Car Title
- Forms D.A. 304A and P1.160 (three copies of each)
For more information on customs regulations, you can contact the South African Embassy in Washington, DC and they direct you to regulations pertaining to Port Elizabeth specifically.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
How to Ship
You will have a few available ways to ship your car to Port Elizabeth. If you need to relocate any household goods with your car you will need to choose a method that allows transporting personal items. Before your car is shipped you will need to get a total price quote from the shipping agent that details shipping, pickup and/or delivery, and other fees that are included in your total cost. These are the ways you can have your car shipped to Port Elizabeth.
RoRo Shipping– When you use RoRo Shipping your car will be driven onto the carrier ship and secured into place for the overseas journey. When it arrives at the port of entry it will be driven off the ship. You cannot load any personal items into the car for RoRo Shipping. RoRo Shipping is the most preferred way to ship a car internationally and is also the least expensive way to ship.
Container Shipping– Shipping your car in a container is the best way to go when you have personal items that need to be shipped with your car. While it will cost a little more because you have to pay the container fee, it allows you to relocate with ease and have your personal possessions with you.
Air Shipping– When you need your car fast, Air Shipping is the way to go. When you ship by air you can have your car delivered much faster than when you ship by sea. You can also send personal items when you ship by air cargo.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?