Mumbai, India is a multicultural melting pot and one of the most fascinating cities in India. With both a beautiful wilderness area as well as a spectacular industrial area, Mumbai offers the best of everything to all who visit or live in the city. Prior to importing your car to the city, you may want to check the weather patterns and know when the rainy season is. During the rainy season especially from June through September, many monsoons and tropical storms come through and cause roadway flooding. When you’re ready to import your car you will need to hire a professional international auto transport company. Your transport agent will need you to provide some upfront information such as your driver’s license, car title, social security number and automobile insurance certificate. You can get customs information on International Shipping Regulations by contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Agency. The Mumbai Consulate has specific documentation and policies that must be adhered to when shipping a car into the city. These are the basic specifications when importing your car to Mumbai:
- You must pay duty fees on the car that are usually higher than 100% of the car value
- All cars must be right hand driving cars only to be allowed for import
- Used cars can only be imported through the customs port at Mumbai
- Diplomats are able to have duty fees waived only if they have an Exemption Certificate that is issued by the Indian Ministry of External Affairs
- New cars can only be imported from the country they were manufactured in
- You must pick your car up in person within 15 days if the car is flown into Mumbai and within 30 days if it is shipped in by sea
You will need to provide Customs with the following documents when importing your car:
- Bill of Sale
- Import License
- Car Insurance Policy
- Title and Registration
- Bill of Lading
- Duty Exemption Certificate if you have acquired one from the Ministry
Prior to Shipping to Mumbai
The auto transport agent will give you details on the shipping procedure and paperwork that you will need to have prior to shipping. They will also provide you with in-depth details on what you may need to do to prepare your car for International Shipping. Dependent upon the method of shipping you will be using you might have to clean everything out of the inside of your car as well as remove accessories that may be attached to the outside of the car before it is shipped. The total cost to ship your car internationally will vary depending on the type of shipping you need, transportation to or from the port and other fees determined by the transporter.
How to Ship
There are three ways to ship your car internationally and these are the choices you will have when shipping your car to Mumbai:
- Roro Shipping- The quickest way to ship overseas as well as the least expensive. Your car is simply driven onto the freight ship at the exit port and off of the ship at the customs port in Mumbai. RORO Shipping is the preferred way for international car shipping from the United States to Mumbai, India.
- Container Shipping- When you ship via container you’ll be able to load your personal items inside the container with your car. This way can take a little longer than Roro but if you need to relocate household goods in your move, you’ll be able to do so in a secure and economical way.
- Air Shipping- The fastest way to ship a car internationally. When you need your car or other household items in a quick amount of time, shipping by air is the way to go. Your car would be airlifted to the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport and would process through customs immediately when you pick it up.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.