London is the most populous city and capital of United Kingdom. It is stated as a leading global city and a hub of trade, culture, education, finance, media, healthcare research and development.
Situated on the banks of the River Thames, London is a global destination. Regardless of the nature of your relocation to London, you can import your vehicle from USA and enjoy driving it here.
It is mandatory to ensure that the vehicles adheres to specified regulations, like the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 and the Road Vehicle Regulations 1986. In case, you are planning to import your vehicle on a permanent basis, your car must meet the present safety, emission and environmental regulations. You can do it with the help of Individual Vehicle Approval Scheme. As with any import, you are required to clear the VAT and import duties before the vehicle can be driven around in the city legally. But there are various eligibility criteria for tax exemptions on the vehicles which are:
- Settling permanently in London.
- You are part of the non-European Union member and are not likely to stay for more than six months, also termed as temporary admission.
- If you are importing a previously exported vehicle of UK.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Payment of taxes.
In case, you are not eligible for exemption on the taxes, then you are required by law to pay your taxes, duties and VAT after your car arrives in the UK. You have to notify the services of HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and ensure that your vehicle completes the form of ‘Notification of Vehicle Arrivals’ online. After this procedure is has been done, you will be asked to pay the complete VAT as applicable. If VAT is not paid, penalties are liable to be applied. However, to legalize the procedure, you need to submit the relevant documents including:
- Lien-free car title deed.
- Car insurance.
- Purchase invoice of vehicle.
- Bill of Lading.
- Ownership proof.
- Inspection certificates for emission and road safety.
Before importing your vehicle, it is mandatory to get the ‘Vehicle Import Pack’ so you will need to contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency. There are some restrictions, which are placed on any vehicle of over ten years. Thus, if you are importing an older vehicle, clarify if it can be imported. Contact an agent from DVLA before planning to ship any vehicle of this age.
You have the option of shipping your vehicle by container shipping or RORO. Based on the requirement, A1 Auto Transport service will be able to advice you on the best method.
After arrival, it is best to register your vehicle immediately. You might have to transport the vehicle directly from port to London, as you are not allowed to drive your car unless you have it registered. It is important to keep the original and copied documents handy throughout the transit procedures. You will be required to submit the copies when you get the vehicle registered. To get more information about importing vehicles from USA, contact the Embassy of United Kingdom.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?