Guatemala City is a city that lies in the Valle de la Ermita Valley in Guatemala and is the largest city in the country with a population of nearly 2.5 million residents. The city is the nucleus for economy, transportation, government and culture in the country. Business leaders from around the globe have opened business in Guatemala City due to the prestige of the surrounding area. Many financial institutions including CitiBank, Banco Promerica, Continental, and BAC Credit have banks and investment firms in the city. Companies like Walmart, Sears, Office Depot and Price Smart have opened retail stores in Guatemala City and bring many new employment opportunities for local residents as well as those relocating from the United States and other countries. There is public transportation in Guatemala City but it is not advisable to use the bus system due to the possibility of crime. Using a personal car for travel is the best way to get around in the city as well as the safest mode of transportation.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Using an Automobile Transport Company.
The only way to have a motor vehicle moved to Guatemala City is to hire a professional automobile transport company to handle the shipment for you. Working with a professional company that has the necessary experience to ship a car to Guatemala City is detrimental to ensuring safe transport with reliability and affordable shipping rates. Once you speak to the transport agent you will need to give them some important information about you as well as your car. Information they will need includes:
- Driver’s License.
- Social Security Number.
- Signed Power of Attorney.
- Make, model and year of automobile.
You will need to let the agent know if you will be driving the car to the shipping port in the United States on your own or if you will need to have it picked up and delivered. They will also need to know if you will be shipping the car alone or if you have other items that need to be shipped at the same time. Shipping insurance is usually included in the final price quote, but you will want to check the amount offered to ensure it is adequate for your personal vehicle. You may also want to add an extra travel policy to your current policy or purchase a marine insurance policy for overseas shipping.
How to Ship a Car to Guatemala City.
When you ship a car to Guatemala City you will be able to choose from three different modes of transport. They are:
- Air Shipping– Air shipping can be very expensive and is typically only used for high value cars and personal items with great financial value. It is the fastest way to have a car or other items shipped overseas.
- RORO – RORO is the simplest and most affordable way to ship a car overseas to Guatemala City and is used by millions of vehicle owners and dealerships each year. It’s a simple process that makes it easy to drive automobiles onto the ship for transport and drive them off when they reach the port of exit.
- Containerized– Containerized shipping is an enclosed shipping method that offers extra protection during overseas transport. Using a container will let you pack other items along with the car as you have it transported, making it simple to relocate an entire household as well as a motor vehicle all in one trip.
Your shipping agent will assist you with information on all available types of transport from your location to the shipping port and to Guatemala City.
Customs Regulations in Guatemala City.
Customs in Guatemala will allow you to import one personal motor vehicle as long as it is within 10 years of age. This applies to cars, classic cars and motorcycles. Trucks can be imported as long as they are within 13 years of age. This rule applies to citizens of Guatemala, diplomats and people from foreign countries. You will have to supply some paperwork to customs at the time of shipping that includes:
- Passport with Guatemala entry stamp.
- Original Bill of Lading or Airway Bill.
- Packing List if you use container shipping.
- Original Commercial Invoice or Sales Receipt.
- Motor Vehicle Inspection report.
- Motor Vehicle Title.
- Motor Vehicle Registration.
- Driver’s License.
- Duty Free Exemption Letter (if applicable).
- Motor Vehicle Insurance (Valid in Guatemala).
If you are missing any of the required documents or have any that are missing vital information, you will have to pay $150.00 for a complete vehicle inspection. The bill of lading will have to include the motor vehicle VIN, chassis and engine numbers, make and model, year, engine size, fuel type, color of car and the cubic centimeters of the car. You can contact the Embassy of Guatemala in Washington, DC for more detailed information on required documents, taxes and duty fees and information on motor vehicle regulations for driving in Guatemala City.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?