The capital of Ireland, Dublin is the largest and most populated city and is situated at the banks of the River Liffey. It is counted among the top 30 cities of the world and is the center for culture, art, education and industry. This makes it a sought after destination to work and stay. Thus, if you are moving to Dublin for a short stay or longer period it helps to have your personal vehicle with you.
As one of the leading international shipping service, A1 Auto Transport Company understands the complete laws and regulations of freight shipping to Ireland. You need to know that Northern Ireland abides by the laws of UK while the rest of Ireland is a part of the EU. With business-friendly laws, imports are supported by efficient regulations and that is why we can assist your vehicle transportation with ease.
Import regulations in Ireland.
There is no reason to run into issues when you are shipping your vehicle to Dublin as long as you follow the eligibility criteria mandated by the Irish Customs Department. The custom officials follow the rules as per the laws. We have an in-depth knowledge about exemptions and duties which our shipping agents would be able to help you through if you qualify for any of those. Thus, the total shipping charges would depend upon it. Additionally, the documents that you need to submit include:
- Passport/driver’s license as ownership proof.
- S vehicle insurance policy for over 6 months.
- Purchase Invoice / Bill of Sale (Price, VIN, chassis number)
- Registration Certificate.
- Proof of Residency/Work permit in Ireland.
Your vehicle will be received at the Dublin port and after the custom duties and taxes have been paid, you will need to get the vehicle registered within the next 6 months of your stay. In addition to the custom duty, there is a vehicle registration tax that is applied based on the value of your car when you get it registered in Dublin. Another factor that would affect the cost of the shipping is the method you choose to ship your vehicle to Dublin.
- Roll-On and Roll-Off: The most cost-effective method to choose, you only pay for the pace used by the car on the ship deck. Your car isn’t packed but driven on and off the ship using the car’s own wheels. Thus, you are not allowed to keep any personal items in it. You will need to remove all flammable items, including air conditioning gas before shipping it out.
- Enclosed Container: Though this is the more costly method, it offers higher protection. It offers a higher level of protection to the vehicle and accompanying household goods. You can choose from a smaller container of 20 feet or a larger one of 40 feet.
At A1 Auto Transport service, we can help you with the costing and assist you to get as much rebate as you are eligible for. To know more about the shipping requirements, latest laws and rulings on importing vehicles, contact the Embassy of Ireland in USA.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.