Delhi, India is a massive State in India that is comprised of many small cities and towns. It has been historically well known for hosting many kings and empires in the country. Before you ship your car to Delhi you may want to check the typical weather patterns and be aware of the monsoon season. During monsoon season, especially in late July through the middle of August, there is often a lot of rain that will comprise the roads and cause travel to become unstable. Shipping outside of monsoon season is advised. When you decide to ship your car you need to hire an international auto transport company. The transport agent will need you to provide some upfront information such as the following:
- Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
- Car Title and Registration
- Power of Attorney (Signed)
- Car Insurance Certificate
You can get customs information on International Shipping Regulations by contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency. Once your car reaches Delhi you will need to provide customs officials with the following documents:
- Original Bill of Sale
- Import License
- Car Insurance Policy
- Car Title and Registration
- Bill of Lading (BL)
- Duty Exemption Certificate if you have gotten one from the Ministry
Indian Government has specific regulations that must be adhered to when importing a car into Delhi. Those regulations are as follows:
- You are required to pay duty fees on the car that are usually higher than 100% of the car value unless duty fees are exempted
- Cars may only be right hand driving cars in order to import
- Used cars can only be imported via the sea through the customs port at Mumbai and then transported via railway or trailer to Delhi
- Diplomats can have duty fees waived if they have an Exemption Certificate issued by the Indian Ministry of External Affairs
- New cars can only be imported from the country they were manufactured in
- You are required to pick your car up personally within 15 days if the car is flown into Delhi and within 30 days if it is shipped in by sea
Before You Ship to Delhi
Before you ship your car to Delhi you will need to go over in full detail with the shipping agent all of the expenses that are required for international shipping. The agent will give you a full quote so you will know what has to be upfront and what you will need to pay when your car arrives in Delhi. If you will need to empty the car of personal items or have it steam cleaned the agent will let you know what preparations to make. You may also want to check with the U.S. Embassy in Delhi to gather more information on importing a car and other items into Delhi.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
How to Ship to Delhi
When shipping to Delhi you have three ways to ship internationally. Here are the ways you will be provided with to ship your car to Delhi:
Ro-Ro Shipping– Ro-Ro Shipping is also known as Roll-On Roll-Off Shipping and it translates to exactly what it is. The vehicle is driven onto the cargo ship and then driven off when it reaches the port in Mumbai to be transported to Delhi. This is the easiest and quickest way to ship a vehicle overseas by water as well as the least expensive. The only distinct thing about shipping Ro-Ro is that you cannot ship any personal items inside of the car during transport.
Container Shipping– Shipping by container is still shipping on the water, but when using a container you will be able to pack personal items inside of the car as well as in the container when transporting to Delhi. This type of shipping can take a little longer than Ro-Ro due to clearance checks when going through Customs, but it is great to be able to use it when you need to ship more than just your vehicle.
For both types of sea shipping to Delhi you will have to ship into the Customs port in Mumbai and then have the car transported to land from the sea port, usually by railway with the Northern Railway in India from Mumbai to Delhi.
Air Shipping– Shipping by air is the quickest way to have your car shipped internationally to Delhi. You can get the car in far less time than if you ship by sea, and will be able to ship along with other items if you need them to be sent with the vehicle.
Your auto transport agent will help you decide on the type of shipping that will suit your situation the best and which method more clearly fits the budget you need to stick with. For more information on the cost and ways to have your vehicle shipped internationally, you can read this article that provides valuable shipping information.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?