Capital city of Bolívar the department in Colombia, Cartagena is the fifth biggest city in the country. It is an important center for tourism, petrochemicals, and maritime industry.
If you intend moving here or have already moved, not having a vehicle can be tiresome and that is why it helps to move your vehicle with you when you relocate from USA.
However, there are specific import laws and requirements that have to be considered. This includes being aware of the fact that only the most recent model of the vehicles of that particular company or new cars are allowed to be imported. Although there are exceptions such as if you are importing a vintage car or antique vehicles but special permits are needed or that. If you have an older car, it might be best to buy a new one in Cartagena.
Another key aspect of safe shipping vehicles to Colombia is to engage the services of A1 Auto Transport as we understand all about shipping here and are conversant with the Custom regulations. As per the Customs Authority of Colombia, only new vehicles with no miles on the odometer can be imported on a permanent basis as per the Andean Automotive Agreement (1993). However, there are exceptions on vintage vehicles and diplomatic imports. You can ship your vehicle using Roll-on/Roll-Off method or select Container shipping.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Temporary auto import.
The temporary import permit allows you to bring in the vehicle for a period of 90 days which is extendable by another 90 days for the purpose of transit to another country or for tourism. You need to have the right permits before you are allowed to drive within the county. By buying the requisite car insurance or SOAT, and getting the permit at the border, you can drive around in Cartagena. In other cases, you might have to contact the Customs authorities and fill the Temporary Vehicle Import Form to get the permit. Some of the documents that will be needed for the permit include:
- Vehicle registration documents.
- Colombian entry stamp and copies of passport.
- Bill of Lading.
Vintage or classic vehicle.
If you are importing a classic or vintage car, there are other requirements that have to be fulfilled:
- Obtain import license authorized by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Tourism for a personal vehicle.
- Colombian Automobile Club certificate.
- Has to be over 35 years/50 years, with retaining original factory specifications.
- Certificate of classification has to be presented from an accredited international author/agency.
Registration of the new vehicle.
You will be required to go to the closest transport office and submit the relevant documents that include:
- Import declaration.
- Proof of purchase of SOAT.
- Vehicle purchase invoice.
- Receipt of taxes.
After the taxes are paid, you can get your vehicle registered locally with the Colombian authorities.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?