How to Ship a Car to Europe for Vacation?
It isn’t uncommon for those living in the U.S. to travel to Europe for a long vacation or temporary stay. Many of those who plan to explore the continent consider shipping their personal car there during their stay. This provides them with a convenient and efficient way to explore Europe without restrictions. To safely ship your car to Europe for vacation, you must first find a licensed, experienced overseas auto transport company.
The cost for car shipping services provided by the transport company will depend on a few details. One of these details is the distance between the car’s U.S. location and its destination in Europe. Several methods of transport might be necessary including ground and overseas transport which may increase the cost. Most transporters also charge per mile. Although there are several things considered in the calculation of your final shipping quote, auto transport services are affordable and considered cost effective.
The import law you’ll have to abide by is dependent on the country within Europe you are delivering the car to. Each country has its own laws regarding the temporary import of a motorized vehicle. This is something your professional shipping company will help you with. You can also call the embassy of the country to gain further insight including up-to-date tax information.
What to Expect from Your Yacht Shipping Company
- They’ll help you get the certification of import approval from Customs within the set time frame. Their assistance during this process includes helping you to understand the import laws relevant to your car’s entry and gathering the documents you need to give Customs.
- They’ll have safety options including enclosed transport methods such as containerization and crated methods.
- Most shipping companies will provide their customers with door to door pickup and delivery even if it includes the combined use of ground and oversea transport methods.
- As a licensed auto transport company, the state requires that a minimum amount of insurance coverage is provided to each shipping customer. Ask the transporter how much coverage you’re provided with. If it doesn’t protect the entire market value of the vehicle, you may want to ask them if you can purchase additional coverage.
- To include the customers in the progress of the car’s transport to Europe, most transport companies include free satellite tracking services for those who buy their shipping services.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.