How to Ship a Car from Florida to California?
The process of shipping a car from Florida to California is simple. A lot of people automatically assume that it is difficult to ship a car domestically. While there are a lot of steps that go into the process, it is actually pretty easy.
Here is how you can do it too.
Just Follow These Simple Steps. It's Easier Than It Seems.
Oftentimes, the reaction to an event determines how we perceive it. Those same rules apply to shipping a car from Florida to California. The distance may be long, but with a qualified shipping expert, it really isn’t that big of a deal.
One Simple Caveat
Like everything in life, there is a right way, and a wrong way, to do things. It may seem easier just to get in your car and go, but the 2,700+ miles are unforgiving. If you do this, you will put mileage, as well as wear and tear on your vehicle.
Is it worth it?
As ironic as it may seem, simply driving the car yourself is the most stressful option. It is better to ship your car using proper procedures to save time, money, and effort. Driving the car on your own adds unnecessary expenses and stressors.
Think about it
Gas, lodgings, food, time, additional maintenance for your vehicle, and much more all has to be accounted for. You can quickly go over budget. The cheaper option is to have your car shipped for you.
Automobile shipping and logistics companies can provide you with competitive rates. We ship many cars at once to keep costs down and to pass the savings onto you. This is how we stay competitive, and this is how we stay in business.
With new innovations in shipping, as well as logistics, prices have never been more competitive!
Common Questions Clients Have
- What is the cost of shipping a vehicle?
- When will my vehicle arrive in California?
- How will you ship my vehicle?
- Is there any more information I need regarding the shipping of my vehicle?
These are some great questions, so let’s answer them!
What is the cost of shipping a vehicle?
The cost of shipping a vehicle will depend on several factors. Some of these factors include:
- Vehicle size - the larger the vehicle, the higher the cost (generally). It is easier to ship smaller vehicles, so they tend to cost less to ship.
- Timeframe - the faster you need a vehicle shipped, the costlier it will be. Shipping companies will need to accommodate you more, which can disrupt their natural supply chain.
- Planned route - requesting the use of convenient routes for shipping companies, like major highways and freeways, will keep the cost of shipping your vehicle low.
- Additional costs like insurance - it is recommended that you purchase insurance to cover the cost of your car while it is being shipped, in the rare event of damage. More expensive vehicles will require more expensive insurance.
- Time of the year - some seasons are better for shipping vehicles than others. Avoid high-traffic seasons like the winter, when many retirees drive south for the winter. Traffic congestion soars during this time, and may lengthen the time needed to ship your vehicle. The easier it is to ship a vehicle, the lower the cost will be.
- Your price range - when possible, purchase the best shipping experience for your price range. Do not skimp on insurance, or request special favors from the shipping company in regards to route logistics, if you want to keep the price low. Just like with flying, the higher the price, the more relaxing the experience.
When will my vehicle arrive in California?
The average vehicle shipment from Florida to California will take approximately 7-10 business days. This includes both pickup (3 days) and delivery (6 days). Keep in mind that these are averages. Your vehicle shipment may be slightly longer or shorter, depending on a multitude of factors like traffic congestion, season, weather, and more.
How will you ship my vehicle?
When shipping vehicles, automobile shipping and logistics companies will use one of two methods: open auto transport, and closed auto transport.
Both options are available, but the one that you choose will depend on your needs.
As a general rule, most cars ship via the open auto transport method, while more valuable and rare cars are usually shipped using the closed auto transport method.
Open Auto Transport
This is the cheaper option of the two. However, your vehicle will be exposed to the elements, as your car will be one of many being pulled on a rack by a transport.
Although the “open air” part of transport may seem unsettling to you, as your car will be exposed to the elements, there is nothing to worry about. Practically every car manufactured in the United States, or shipped here from overseas, is transported to a dealer or a buyer using the same method. This is standard in the automobile shipping industry.
Enclosed Auto Transport
Your second option to ship your vehicle is via enclosed auto transport. Instead of putting your vehicle on a rack, your vehicle is put in a closed trailer, either alone or with other vehicles. A Big Rig pulls the trailer to your vehicle’s destination and your car is unloaded. With this method, you do not have to worry about the possibility of environmental damage, as rare as that may be.
This is the more expensive option as well, so we only recommend that owners of rare or exotic cars use this method.
Is there any more information I need regarding the shipping of my vehicle?
Before you can ship your vehicle from Florida to California, there are a few things you will need to do.
Here is a condensed version
- Your driver’s license needs to be valid
- Your vehicle needs to be properly registered and insured
- Wash, inspect, and document the state of your vehicle before shipping
- If you have concerns about your vehicle, let the shipping company know
- Clean out your car. A shipping company may refuse your vehicle if it is not clean (due to liability purposes)
- Consider purchasing additional insurance for your vehicle
- Ensure you can retrieve your vehicle in California (you can have a proxy pick it up for you)
- Compare quotes from different shipping companies before you decide
Shipping Your Vehicle is Easy
When done correctly, the process is straightforward and stress-free. Rates are competitive and low. The process is streamlined and fast.
The A-1 Advantage
A-1 Auto Transport has decades of experience shipping vehicles. We have delivered thousands of vehicles over this time period, so we know what works and what does not. We can provide you with the best rate to ship your vehicle from Florida to California. If you need your vehicle shipped, contact us for great delivery.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.
Email me - firstname.lastname@example.org