Moving a vehicle to another country is a different process than shipping a car domestically. From the method of loading and shipment to the paperwork and licensing required to operate internationally, there are many more legal and logistical hurdles, even in addition to the longer distance.
In terms of the process of car transport delivery, the main difference between overseas and continental auto transport shipping services is that the car carrier must be able to safely accommodate delivery over a much longer distance, usually by boat or air freight. Both methods are often supplemented with standard auto transport services on either end of the delivery to move the vehicle from inland to port and port to inland. Air freight is an expensive option and is typically reserve for luxury, exotic and high end vehicles.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car Internationally
|New York, NY to (New York port) to Germany||$275||$1,200||5+19 days|
|Los Angeles to (California port) to UK||$350||$3,700||5+32 days|
|Las Vegas, NV to (California port) to New Zealand||$450||$2,400||5+26 days|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Puerto Rico||$475||$3,300||6+20 days|
|Phoenix, AZ to (California port) to Hawaii||$550||$2,000||6+15 days|
|Columbus, OH to (New York port) to Spain||$550||$1,400||5+19 days|
|Detroit, MI to (New York port) to Argentina||$575||$3,000||6+26 days|
|Chicago, IL to (New York port) to Costa Rica||$675||$3,600||6+16 days|
|Miami, FL to (New York port) to Belgium||$925||$1,200||7+18 days|
|Dallas, TX to (California port) to Australia||$1,025||$1,500||7+30 days|
- *Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
- *Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
- *Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
- *Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
- *Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
Prices for moving vehicles between countries can vary greatly depending on which car shipping companies or movers you are getting quotes from. For more information on what it costs to ship a car overseas refer to this article or visit this page to use our overseas rate calculator.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Overseas Air Transport & Ocean Shipping For Autos
Both air freight and ocean transport for cars often involve “roll on/roll off” service, also referred to as RoRo. This is just a term used to denote that the vehicle is driven onto the boat or plane, secured for delivery, and then driven off when it arrives. Other variations of the service include containerized shipping for boats, crated transporters for motorcycles, and lift on/lift offloading. We ship out of all the major ports in the United States and enclosed auto transport containers.
Types of Vehicles We Move Overseas
- Classic and luxury cars
- Motorcycles, Harley’s and sport bikes
- Sports utility and all terrain vehicles (SUVs & ATVs)
- Electric and alternative energy vehicles
- Collections and dealership inventory
- Recreational vehicles (RVs), motor homes and fifth wheels
- Privately owned vehicles (POVs) for military
- Oversize vehicles and heavy equipment
- Yachts, boats and other watercraft
Worldwide Auto Transport Customs Documents
One of the most challenging aspects of hauling an auto to another country is understand and filing the legal paperwork necessary to the job, and this is where shipping companies can really help. Our car shipping company employ a staff of experts with a wide-ranging understanding of customs and the import/export process to make your shipping experience as seamless and easy as possible.
Overseas Vehicle Shipping For Military
For service members, our military shipping program shipping service offers one of the most affordable ways to move a privately owned vehicle anywhere in the world. We proudly offer military discounts for active duty Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Air Force, and veterans. Service members will love our reduced price shipping quotes. Use the form at the top of the page to get a quote for shipping your car overseas today.
Overseas Auto Transport Info Center
- International movers
- How do I make my car legal to drive in a new country?
- Can I ship my household goods inside my car during international shipping?
- Car shipping from USA
- Importing vehicles into the USA
- Dos and Don’ts of international vehicle shipping: what to leave – and what to stow
- Know your rights: what to expect of your shipping company when shipping a vehicle overseas
- International vehicle shipping process
- Basics of international car shipping
- How does international car shipping work
- How long does international car shipping take
- How much is international car shipping
- Exporting cars
- How to prepare your car for shipping overseas
- Transport a car to the Caribbean
- Shipping cars overseas from the USA