- Importing Vehicles Into Usa From Iceland
- Cost & Time Examples For Import A Car From Iceland
- Common Reasons To Import A Vehicle Into The Usa
- Find An International Shipping Company
- Benefits Of Hiring A Professional Shipper
- Documents Needed
- Cost Of Shipping
Importing Vehicles Into USA From Iceland
Are you planning to import vehicle into USA from Iceland? One of the international car shipping services we offer is shipping from Iceland to the USA. The process involves preparing the proper paperwork and dealing with customs regulations in both countries. We are an experienced international shipper because we know how to deal with the legal and logistical challenges involved in the process.
Cost & Time Examples for Import a Car from Iceland
|Reykjavík to (New York port) to New York, NY||$2600||$275||15+5 days|
|Reykjavík to (California port) to Los Angeles||$4800||$350||30+5 days|
|Reykjavík to (New York port) to Boston, MA||$2600||$400||15+5 days|
|Reykjavík to (California port) to Las Vegas, NV||$4800||$450||30+5 days|
|Reykjavík to (California port) to Seattle, WA||$4800||$550||30+6 days|
|Reykjavík to (New York port) to Detroit, MI||$2600||$575||15+6 days|
|Reykjavík to (New York port) to Chicago, IL||$2600||$675||15+6 days|
|Reykjavík to (California port) to Denver, CO||$4800||$775||30+7 days|
|Reykjavík to (New York port) to Memphis, TN||$2600||$800||15+6 days|
|Reykjavík to (California port) to Dallas, TX||$4800||$1,025||30+7 days|
- *Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
- *Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
- *Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
- *Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
- *Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
Common reasons to import a vehicle into the USA
You could import a vehicle into USA from Iceland for different reasons:
- You live there and bought a nice car that you do not want to leave behind.
- You were visiting Iceland and bought a duty-free car.
- You are relocating back to the USA with a car that you migrated to Iceland with.
Whichever your reason is, there are various factors you should consider before deciding to import the vehicle into the USA. First, the vehicle has to comply with USA safety and emission standards as required by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of Transport (DoT). Such are vehicles that are manufactured for the USA. So, when purchasing a vehicle in Iceland and you plan to import it into the US some day in the future, check with the seller or manufacturer to ensure that it matches US standards. Here are the EPA import requirements for vehicles.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Find an international shipping company
After confirming that your vehicle matches US standards the next step is to find an international shipping company. There are two options here. You can find an Icelandic international shipper who ships to the US. Or, you can find a US-based shipper who ships to and from Iceland. People find the second option to work best.
American companies are generally more reliable and experienced, arguably so. Also, they are licensed to transport vehicles within the US. So, after the vehicle is cleared from customs, they will deliver the vehicle to your doorstep or to a warehouse near you. Your priorities when finding a shipper should be professionalism, reliability, and experience in shipping from Iceland to the USA.
Benefits of hiring a professional shipper
To safely import vehicle into USA from Iceland, you need the services of a professional international vehicle carrier. Hardly anything goes wrong at the customs offices; but during shipping, a lot of things can compromise the safety of your vehicle.
Here are the benefits of hiring a professional vehicle shipping company:
- It has the right shipping equipment and trained employees to handle your car.
- Such a company is familiar with import and export policies of US and Iceland.
- Such a company has marine cargo insurance to protect your shipment in case of any accident or damage.
- Such a company is likely to have pocket-friendly shipping rates purely due to economies of scale.
The whole process of overseas shipping is complicated because of the paperwork involved. Before exporting from Iceland, make sure that you have all the documents needed at the port. The customs offices require that the owner of the vehicle be present to clear the vehicle. However, you can hire a customs broker too. The documents needed at the port are the vehicle purchase invoice, the vehicle registration certificates, and your passport. The customs office will also inspect the contents of the vehicle. It is always advisable to remove all personal content from the vehicle.
After the vehicle is cleared by Iceland Customs Offices, inquire from your auto transporter when it will arrive in the US. Make sure to alert the US customs office of the arrival date. The US customs office will not clear the vehicle unless it conforms to the aforementioned standards. Also, they check the shipper’s bill of lading, the contents of the vehicle, the Icelandic vehicle registration documents, and the vehicles bill of purchase.
Remember, there are customs duty charges involved at both the exit port and entry port. These taxes are subject to change. Therefore, before you start arrangements to ship your car, contact customs authorities in both countries to find out the amount of customs duty fee you are expected to pay and if you qualify for any exemptions.
Cost of shipping
The cost of shipping a car from Iceland varies from company to company. These companies have different pricing plans. You have to get quotes from different shipping companies to have a clear idea of the amount it will cost to ship the vehicle. Please note that the quote the shipping company gives is not inclusive of the customs duties or freight charges involved in overseas shipping. Also, the quote is subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances such as extended storage time.
We, A-1 Auto Transport, are an expert international vehicle shipper. We are the right pick if you need to import vehicle into USA from Iceland. We have established routes between major Icelandic cities such as Reykjavik, Akranes, Selfoss, and Keflavik, and all other major cities in the fifty states in the US. Contact us today for a quote or more information.