- What Is Flatbed Auto Transport?
- What Is Used To Transport Flatbed Auto ?
- Make Sure To Plan Ahead To Transport A Vehicle/Flatbed Car
- Expect Higher Cost
The vast majority of flatbed transportation services offered domestically involve either open or enclosed trailers, as both are able to transport most types of vehicles. However, there are times when neither type of trailer will suffice, which is when flatbed auto transport comes into play. It's far from a common transport option, but nonetheless, it is available if your circumstances require it.
What is Flatbed Auto Transport?
Flatbed auto transport is exactly as it sounds. It features a flatbed trailer that is attached to a truck, similar to an open or enclosed trailer and can come in various lengths and widths, provided that they meet road regulations. It's a seldom-used service, especially today.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
What Is Used To Transport Flatbed Auto ?
Even though flatbed carriers can technically carry standard vehicles on them, they're usually only used to transport specific vehicles that won't fit anywhere else. Some of the types of vehicles in which flatbed carriers would be required are:
- Cargo vans;
- Oversized pickup trucks;
- Specialized construction vehicles (bulldozers, cranes, and so forth);
- Commercial vehicles, including buses;
- Vehicles that can no longer operate.
Basically, any type of pickup flatbed trucks that is too tall, long, or wide to fit on open or enclosed trailers might require flatbed auto transportation services. The majority of those who might have the need for flatbed auto transport would be businesses.
Make Sure to Plan Ahead to Transport a Vehicle/Flatbed Car
Flatbed car shipping, as mentioned, is not that common. This means that you'll need to plan ahead if you require a flatbed trailer. The reasons are that:
- Carriers do not have them readily available;
- They're only generally used for one flatbed car shipping at a time;
- They're not a part of regular routes.
To rephrase, your pickup and delivery window will expand if you need to schedule flatbed car transport. It's not as simple as calling a carrier and having it come pick you up on its regular route, as is the case with regular shipping choices. Instead, you'll need to arrange for a flatbed transport to take up just your flatbed car transport. In addition, flatbed vehicles transport is not typically requested, hence many auto transport businesses do not provide it. You may need to make a few phone calls before you find a suitable business.
Expect Higher Cost
Many of the same reasons that cause flatbed car transport to have longer shipping times than standard auto transport are also the same reasons why it costs more. Because of the arrangements that the auto transport carrier has to make, you can expect to pay much more for flatbed vehicles transport. Not having the ability to transport multiple vehicles at once means that carriers have to charge more. After all, they certainly have to make a profit.
If you're in need of flatbed auto transport services, contact A-1 Auto Transport today. We'll do our best to ensure that we can accommodate you. Plus, make sure to get your free no obligation quote!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I transport personal items in my car during flatbed auto transport?
It is generally not recommended to transport personal items in your car during flatbed auto transport. This is because the items may shift during transit and potentially damage your vehicle or other vehicles transported on the flatbed. It is best to remove all personal belongings from your car before transport to ensure the safety of your vehicle and the efficiency of the transportation process.
What is flatbed car transport, and why should you choose flatbed vehicle transport?
Flatbed car transport is a method of transporting vehicles using a flatbed trailer. Unlike traditional car carriers, flatbed trailers have an open design without any sides or roof, allowing for easy loading and unloading of vehicles.
There are several reasons why you should choose flatbed vehicle transport. Firstly, flatbed trailers can accommodate many vehicles, including oversized vehicles, heavy machinery, and non-running vehicles. This versatility makes flatbed car transport suitable for various transportation needs.
Secondly, flatbed car transport offers better visibility and accessibility for inspection purposes. With no sides or roof, it is easier to visually inspect the vehicle before and after transportation, ensuring its condition is maintained.
Lastly, flatbed car transport provides a higher level of security. The lack of sides and roof eliminates the risk of damage from tight spaces or low-hanging branches. The vehicles are securely strapped to the flatbed, minimizing the chances of shifting or damage during transit.
Flatbed car transport is a reliable and efficient method of transporting vehicles, offering flexibility, visibility, and enhanced security.
Is flatbed auto transport more expensive than standard auto transport?
The cost of flatbed auto transport can vary depending on several factors, including the transport's distance, the vehicle's size and weight, and any additional services required. Flatbed auto transport may be slightly more expensive than standard auto transport due to the specialized equipment and handling required. However, the benefits of flatbed transport, such as the ability to transport oversized vehicles or heavy machinery, may outweigh the additional cost for certain individuals or businesses. Getting a free quote from A1 Auto Transport is recommended to determine the exact cost of flatbed auto transport for your specific needs.
How does the loading and unloading process work with flatbed car transport?
Loading and unloading vehicles with flatbed car transport involves several steps. First, the flatbed trailer is positioned in a safe and accessible location for loading. The vehicle is then driven or loaded onto the flatbed using ramps or a winch system, depending on its condition and accessibility. Once the vehicle is securely positioned on the flatbed, it is strapped down using specialized equipment to ensure it remains stable during transit.
During the unloading process, the flatbed trailer is again positioned in a safe and accessible location. The straps securing the vehicle are carefully removed, and the vehicle is either driven or unloaded using the winch system or ramps, depending on the situation.
It is important to note that experienced professionals should handle the loading and unloading process to ensure the safety of the vehicle and those involved. A1 Auto Transport has a team of experts trained in carefully handling the loading and unloading process.
How should you prepare your car for flatbed auto transport?
Preparing your car for flatbed auto transport is important to ensure a smooth and safe transportation process. Here are some tips to help you prepare your car:
1. Clean your car: Before transport, it is recommended to clean your car's interior and exterior thoroughly. This will allow for a better inspection of the vehicle's condition before and after transportation.
2. Remove personal belongings: It is advisable to remove all personal belongings from your car before transport. This includes any loose items, valuables, and aftermarket accessories. Removing these items will prevent any damage or loss during transit.
3. Document existing damage: Take photos or videos of your car from different angles to document its current condition. This will serve as evidence of any damage that may occur during transport.
4. Check for leaks and mechanical issues: Before transport, check for any leaks or mechanical issues in your car. If there are any problems, getting them fixed before transportation is recommended to avoid any complications.
5. Secure loose parts: If there are any loose parts or accessories on your car, such as spoilers or antennas, it is advisable to remove or secure them properly. This will prevent any damage or loss during transit.
6. Check tire pressure: Ensure your car's tires are properly inflated before transport. This will help maintain stability and prevent any tire damage during transit.
7. Disable car alarms: If your car has an alarm system, it is advisable to disable it before transport. This will prevent any unnecessary disruptions during the transportation process.
By following these preparation tips, you can help ensure a smooth and hassle-free flatbed auto transport experience for your vehicle.