Expected Costs When Shipping A Classic Car
When you need a vintage or classic car shipped, there are some considerations you should keep in mind that are slightly different from standard auto transport. Since classic cars can be more delicate and have a higher value than a daily driver, certain steps can be taken to make sure they are handled with the utmost care and arrive in the same condition in which they were picked up—an essential requirement for anyone shipping a classic.
As far as cost is concerned, you can expect to pay slightly more when hiring an auto transporter to ship a classic car, mainly due to the extra precautions taken during delivery. Services like enclosed transport and door-to-door delivery come with an additional charge, though the cost is only marginally higher than it would be otherwise. Here are the reasons the cost is higher and why it’s a good idea to specify certain types of services when shipping older and classic cars.
- Enclosed - An enclosed carrier is always the preferred method for shipping any type of car that’s not a commuter car or daily driver. While an open air carrier is fine for most vehicles, you simply don’t get the protection and privacy you would by using an enclosed carrier.
- Door-to-door - Just like using enclosed transport, having it delivered directly to your door goes hand-in-hand with rare and collectible vehicles. Not only is door-to-door transport easier to accommodate with the smaller, enclosed transport carriers, but it provides the most convenient way to ship any type of vehicle. Plus, it eliminates the need for you to retrieve the car from a transport terminal and putting unnecessary mileage on it as you drive it to its final destination.
- Insurance - Any car carrier has to legally provide a minimum amount of insurance protection when moving a car on your behalf. While the base level of coverage is built into the cost, certain types of vehicles, classics included, may necessitate additional coverage to match the value of the vehicle. Companies that ship classics on a regular basis offer additional insurance coverage at a minimal cost to help meet the value of the car in the rare event that any damages occur.
Door-to-door Shipping Prices For Classic Cars
Since we’re talking about how much you can expect to pay when shipping a classic car, it can be helpful to offer some actual prices. It’s important to keep in mind that prices can fluctuate based on a number of criteria, but this will give you a good general sense of what sort of cost you can anticipate based on distance:
- San Francisco, CA to Chicago, IL - $1,223
- Miami, FL to Denver, CO - $1,297
- Baltimore, MD to Dallas, TX - $864
- Seattle, WA to Nashville, TN - $1,129
- Atlanta, GA to Los Angeles, CA - $1,310
- Detroit, MI to Tucson, AZ - $1,067
- Denver, CO to Philadelphia, PA - $945
Looking for an affordable way to get your classic from point A to point B? Call us today at the number at the top of the page! We offer a wide variety of services and shipping options that are suitable for any type of car, new or old, running or not! Cost estimates are always FREE!
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.