The process of shipping a car to Latvia from the United States isn’t something that an unqualified individual can handle. There is a lot involved in the process of shipping a car overseas.
Ships, transport equipment and a history in the industry are all necessary if a car is to reach its destination safely, lawfully and affordably.
Every country has its own set of import laws. Some countries carry much stricter policies, making it difficult to achieve all that is requested by Customs. The Customs office is where the shipping customer can obtain the certificate of import approval. They’ll give you this certificate after you hand them the documentation requested. Your transport experts will help you understand the regulations on import for the nation as you gather the proof needed.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Latvia’s Motor Vehicle Regulations.
- Provide all forms of proof to Customs:
- Vehicle’s Original Title and Registration.
- Original Purchase Invoice.
- Import License.
- Driver’s License and Passport.
- Temporary auto imports are allowed in the country for one year.
- Any vehicles shipping to Latvia that is younger than 7 years of age must pay a 10% duty and a 10% VAT.
- All vehicles over the age of 7 years must pay an 18% VAT.
- Imported motor vehicles must be registered under the shipper’s name and information.
- The taxes and duties associated with your vehicle import are based largely on the car’s value, make, model and age.
To confirm that the above regulations remain correct, call the Embassy of Latvia a few weeks in advance. The import laws for a nation change every so often. To stay up-to-date, the embassy is your best resource.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.