Ship Your Car To Or From the UK
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Vehicle transport costs to the UK from the United States will most commonly be between $2,300 and $4,800.
- Because there is a lot of cargo that flows between the US and UK, there are plenty of shipping options, which means you can sometimes find a slightly cheaper price.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to UK
|San Jose, CA to (California port) to Felixstowe||$200||$3,200||5+39|
|New York, NY to (New York port) to Liverpool||$275||$1,800||5+28|
|Boston, MA to (New York port) to London||$400||$2,100||5+12|
|Las Vegas, NV to (California port) to Felixstowe||$450||$3,200||5+39|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Liverpool||$475||$3,200||6+30|
|Phoenix, AZ to (California port) to Liverpool||$550||$3,200||6+30|
|Detroit, MI to (New York port) to London||$575||$2,100||6+12|
|Chicago, IL to (New York port) to London||$675||$2,100||6+12|
|Atlanta, GA to (New York port) to Felixstowe||$700||$2,100||6+12|
|Dallas, TX to (California port) to Felixstowe||$1,025||$3,200||7+39|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
This DOES NOT have to be an intimidating process! Armed with the correct information, it can be done as smoothly as possible. One of the best things about shipping your car to the UK is that there is NO language barrier, and therefore, information is seldom misconstrued or misunderstood.
To begin, you must ensure your vehicle meets a number of specific regulations, such as the Road Vehicle Regulations 1986 and the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989. If you are importing the vehicle permanently, you must also provide proof that your car meets all environmental and safety regulations. This can be done by using the Individual Vehicle Approval scheme. Details on this process can be found on the UK government’s website.
Click here to learn more about vehicle registration process in the United Kingdom.
Popular Shipping Destinations
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To The United Kingdom
- Bill of lading.
- Proof of ownership (registration)
- Certificate of insurance.
- Import document C104A.
Upon entry into the UK, you must pay duties and taxes, as with any import into a foreign county. You may also be subject to VAT (Value Added Tax), but there are a number of scenarios in which this fee can be excused as detailed at.
In short, you may qualify to have duties and VAT waived if:
- You are making a permanent move to the UK.
- You are importing a previously exported UK vehicle.
- You are a non-European Union member and you don’t intend to stay longer than 6 months (also known as temporary admission relief)
If you do not fall into one of these categories, be prepared to pay all duties, taxes, and VAT upon the vehicle arriving in the UK. It is also essential that you notify HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) that you will be importing a vehicle by completing the “Notification of Vehicle Arrivals” service online at this link. Once this process is completed, the total owed for the VAT will be sent to you by the HMRC and you will be instructed to pay immediately. Penalties will be assessed if the VAT is not paid.
Before you import your vehicle, it would be extremely helpful to obtain a “Vehicle Import Pack” from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (henceforth referred to as DVLA), the UK equivalent of the US Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This can be accessed on the Department of Transport website.
There are certain restrictions placed on vehicles over 10 years old, so it would be in your best interest to contact the DVLA prior to attempting to ship a vehicle of that age (see this website).
Upon arrival, it is extremely important that you insure and register your vehicle as soon as possible. It is highly recommended that you transport your car from the port to its final destination, because you are not allowed to drive the vehicle until it is both properly insured and registered.
Please remember that it is in your best interest to always keep copies, or originals, if available, of all documentation used throughout the process as these are the forms you will most likely need to present to secure proper registration.
Related Information & FAQs.
- Use a transport company from the USA to ship a car to the UK
- The Pros of shipping a car to the United Kingdom through an overseas transporter
- How to ship a car from L.A., California to London
- How much does it cost to ship a motorcycle from USA to UK?
- Import vehicle into USA from the UK
- Moving to the United Kingdom: advantages
- Moving from USA to UK: cost
- Education & learning in the UK
- Employment in the UK
- Moving & packing services (from USA to the UK)
- Moving overseas - to UK
- Passports & living abroad in the UK
- Visas & immigration in the UK
- Ease the transition of relocation to the UK with this advice
- Find a dependable mover for help with your international relocation to the UK
- How to make your new place in the United Kingdom feel like home
- Moving your family to the United Kingdom
- Preparing to move from the USA to the UK
- Sort through your belongings before moving to the UK
- The difference between an immigrant and non immigrant visas
- The United Kingdom container shipping
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.