The second most populated city in Sweden, Gothenburg is situated in Kattegat which lies on the coastal region, at the mouth of the River Göta älv. One of the biggest ports of the Nordic countries, Port of Gothenburg is one of the busiest in the region.
Though it might seem to be a complex process, shipping your car to Sweden isn’t that difficult especially as both USA and Sweden share cordial business relationship. However, there are plenty of import duties, legal fees and taxes where you can be exempted if your eligibility is proven. But you cannot do it on your own, as the procedures are daunting. That is why it is essential that you work with A1 Auto Transport service as they have years of experience shipping to Sweden and can help you get the best rate while we will ensure that you get all the exemptions as possible.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
With no communication barriers and a secure set of laws in a stable country like Sweden, you can import your vehicle with no qualms. With a reputed and secure shipping service by your side, the whole process of exporting from USA and importing the vehicle in Gothenburg is made simple. However you need to have a proper documentation before the process can be initiated, so compile the following set of documents in original and copies:
- Proof of ownership- passport and driving license.
- Bill of sale of the vehicle.
- Title deed (lien free).
- S. Registration certificate and license tags.
- Temporary Swedish vehicle insurance.
- Current and valid USA insurance.
It is essential that the owner is present in Gothenburg when the vehicle arrives there, else the Swedish Customs cannot be cleared.
Specific motor vehicle regulations.
Apart from paying the taxes and import duties, there are other regulations that you need to adhere to, for importing a vehicle here. These are:
- Must have owned the vehicle for a minimum of one year.
- Officially declare the vehicle is for personal use only.
- You should not have imported a vehicle tax free into Sweden in the last three years.
- If you are moving to Sweden on a long term basis or permanently, you need to have the right migration documents and authorization from the government that you can stay in the country after the initial three months.
- You cannot sell the vehicle for one year.
If any of the conditions are not met, there is an additional surcharge of 25% VAT on the imported vehicle. To be apprised of the cost of shipping, you need to opt for one of the shipping methods, namely RORO and container shipping.
RORO is the cheapest method, because your car is secured on the open ship deck and has to be transported completely empty. All personal items, flammable gases have to be removed before it can be shipped on board. However, ¼ tank of fuel has to be left in the tank so that the vehicle can be driven off the ship.
However, container shipping offers a higher level of protection as the vehicle is secured within a 20 ft. or 40 feet containers. Your personal belongings can be packed within the container along with the vehicle, making the complete move easy. To get insurance during transit, you can pick Marine Cargo insurance as that turns out to be the cheapest.
To know more about Swedish laws and regulations on vehicle imports, contact the Embassy of Sweden in USA.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?