Shipping a Car to Georgia from the United States
Shipping A Car To Georgia
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Auto shipping costs to Georgia from the U.S. are most often between $2,200 and $5,300.
- Under the right circumstances, you may be able to find something slightly cheaper, depending on availability and point of origin within the U.S.
Those moving to the country of Georgia from the USA frequently consider bringing their vehicle along as well, as Georgian public transport can be unreliable or overcrowded. US- or Japanese-manufactured cars are rarely seen for sale in Georgia, with most vehicles in the country originating in Russia.
Georgia does not manufacture cars itself, but has instead simplified the procedure for imports. Fortunately, for repairs and other maintenance needs, spare parts are now easily available locally for US and Japanese cars.
Bordering the Black Sea, Georgia is host to numerous ports – though most vehicle arrivals pass through the port at Poti. Thanks to regular departures from the USA, and connections to the Atlantic – via the Mediterranean Sea and a series of straights – shipments to the Black Sea can be made in relatively short time.
Popular Shipping Destinations
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Georgia
Before exporting a vehicle from the US to Georgia, you’ll need to obtain the required documents to take it out of the country. These include:
- Proof of ownership (or proof of power of attorney over the property, if you are not the owner)
- Original title of car
- Bill of sale
- Permission from the lien holder (if applicable)
- Contact information of the lien holder (if applicable)
- Bill of lading
- Copy of passport and visa
- Full vehicle information
- Certificate or origin
- A statement attesting to the engine capacity of the vehicle will also be necessary for importation into Georgia specifically.
Georgia is flexible in allowing for the importation of both used and new cars, though the import tax is calculated differently for each. For new cars, engine capacity forms the basis for tariff determination, while used cars will impose an additional duty based on the age of the vehicle.
Cargo Notification Rules
Security considerations have made Georgia impose a Cargo Notification system. Under these regulations, all goods destined for delivery in a Georgian port must be reported at least 24 hours in advance of arrival. Failure to report may result in delays or denials by customs clearance. Experience shipping companies like A-1 Auto Transport will take care of this formality.
Types of Shipment
Now that you’ve made the decision to ship your car to Georgia, the next step is to decide whether Ro/Ro (roll on/roll off) or container shipping is right for you. The more economical option, Ro/Ro has your vehicle simply driven aboard the ship, while the more expensive containers provide the additional protection some luxury or antique car owners require.
To assure a smooth and stress-free experience, be sure to follow these steps before shipping your vehicle:
- Clean the interior and exterior thoroughly – this reduces quarantine delays
- Fill the fuel tank roughly one-quarter full
- Remove all personal belongings from the interior
- Inspect the car along with the shipping agent, and record all dents and scratches. You’ll want to obtain a signed copy of this document, for your own protection.
- Insure the vehicle
Related Information & FAQs
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?
Ship Your Vehicle With A-1 Auto TodayGet an Instant Free Quote Now
Or Call us today at 1-800-452-2880 and speak to directly to our sales team!