Shipping Your Car to Cameroon from the United States
Shipping A Car To Cameroon
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Transport costs for a basic vehicle from the U.S. to Cameroon are most often between $1,650 and $3,600.
- You can expect to pay slightly more, however; if you’re shipping a larger vehicle like a truck or SUV, or if you require overland transport to or from the shipping ports.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Cameroon
|Houston, TX to (New York port) to Douala||$1,075||$4,000||7+56|
|San Jose, CA to (California port) to Douala||$200||$4,400||5+55|
|Los Angeles to (California port) to Douala||$350||$4,400||5+55|
|Boston, MA to (New York port) to Douala||$400||$4,000||5+56|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Douala||$475||$4,400||6+55|
|Seattle, WA to (California port) to Douala||$550||$4,400||8+55|
|Detroit, MI to (New York port) to Douala||$575||$4,000||6+56|
|Chicago, IL to (New York port) to Douala||$675||$4,000||6+56|
|Denver, CO to (California port) to Douala||$775||$4,400||7+55|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Douala||$800||$4,000||6+56|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
Though it's certainly achievable, especially with the help of A-1 Auto, shipping your car to Cameroon from the United States can be quite difficult if you were to attempt to do it yourself. Located in West Central Africa, the Republic of Cameroon, as it is officially known, has a population of 21.5 million.
Bordering Nigeria, the Central African Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, and the Republic of Congo, its coastline is a part of the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Guinea. Many have referred to Cameroon as being a microcosm of Africa as a whole due to its geographical diversity, which includes everything from rainforests to deserts.
Though English and French are its official languages, much of the population doesn't speak them with fluency. Many official government workers do, however.
One of the main issues with shipping anything to Cameroon is that there is a large amount of corruption that still exists throughout the country, despite their government's best efforts to curtail it. A major reason for the corruption that exists is that Cameroon, like much of Africa, is experiencing great economic duress, with many of their citizens living way below the poverty line. Under the rule of President Biya since 1982, his Beti ethnic group is in charge of many the important government positions in the country, which has exacerbated the corruption that exists there.
In spite of all of the corruption that's there, A-1 Auto can make sure that your vehicle arrives in Cameroon to its final destination.
Popular Shipping Destinations in Cameroon
Other Types Of Vehicles We Transport To Cameroon
As mentioned, though English isn't spoken by everyone, many of the government officials in customs will at least have some fluency in it. The main issue that one should be concerned about is the corruption that exists there, rather than the language. Another thing to note is that Cameroon is also known for having long delays in shipment arrivals, which is common in other countries in the region as well, mainly due to corruption, inadequate staffing, and general inefficiency.
Having connections with local officials is vital to limit the amount of “extra” fees that can arise based on the discretion of the official and to make sure that your vehicle shipment arrives from the United States without any unforeseen circumstances. A-1 Auto has enough experience in dealing with authorities in Cameroon to limit these extra fees and to make sure that your shipment is secure during the whole process.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Cameroon
To import your automobile into Cameroon, you will need the following:
- Proof of Ownership of the Vehicle.
- Proof of Insurance in the United States.
- Purchase Invoice / Bill of Sale (Price, Date, and Location of Original Purchase)
- Certificate of Registration.
- The Final Destination of the Vehicle.
*You will have to pay taxes and duties on all cars unless the car's final destination is a permanent address. If this is not the case, the taxes and duties will be calculated based upon the age of the vehicle.
Shipping/Exporting your car to Cameroon from the United States may seem intimidating, but A-1 Auto will handle all of the details. Though it's a part of Africa, due to safety concerns and the regulations of other African nations, it's not recommended that the vehicle be shipped/exported via land transit from outside of Cameroon. Here are your main options.
- Roll-On and Roll-Off Service: This is the most commonly used method, as it is the cheapest. If you choose to ship your automobile from the United States to Cameroon using this method, your vehicle will be placed on a car deck on the freight ship, where it will be put in place securely. The one downside to this method of shipping is that it can take a long time and isn't always consistent in terms of the arrival time.
- Container Service: Choosing to ship you vehicle through this method will cost more, but it does have its perks. First, your automobile will be shipped from the United States in its very own container. Not only will it provide an extra layer of security for your vehicle, but it will also allow you to place other items in the container as well, provided that they're not placed inside of the vehicle. It'll also arrive in Cameroon a bit faster and is much more reliable.
A-1 Auto can help you obtain the best rates on either one!
Main Ports of Arrival
Cameroon has multiple ports to choose from, though Doula is its biggest and most secure port. The list of ports available to ship to are:
You'll need to gain customs clearance and an official stamp before taking your vehicle. It helps to call to see if your vehicle has arrived if no one has contacted you. In addition, prior research is recommended on how to get your vehicle from the port to the final destination.
A-1 Auto can help arrange all of this for you and will help safeguard your vehicle the whole way!
Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Cameroon
A1 Auto Transport is the one stop shop for shipping all your heavy equipment and oversized cargo from the United States to Cameroon. Plenty of logistical hurdles go into shipping your large, heavy cargo and having a company that is versed in overseas transport will save you time and money. That’s where A1 comes in with decades of industry experience shipping equipment worldwide.
We have shipped a wide range of equipment overseas in recent months, including:
- Pontoon Boats
- Agricultural Equipment
- Log Loaders
- Asphalt Pavers
- Boom Lifts
- Heavy Trucks
- Hydraulic Equipment
In order to ship your heavy equipment or oversized cargo, we’ll have to take the size and weight into account. These will be the biggest indicators of cost when shipping from the United States to Cameroon. Getting your cargo’s exact dimensions and weight will allow you to gauge the cost of shipping your item and where on the cargo ship your item will be placed. There are a handful of ship loading methods that will influence the price of transporting your cargo. Other fees will apply when gaining compliance with the U.S.’s export policies and Cameroon’s import policies. A1 can help streamline the process and align you with the most cost saving approach while efficiently transporting your equipment. We can also manage unique cases and sizings that are sometimes best discussed over the phone.
Overseas Shipping Options with A1 Auto Transport
- The Lift On/Lift Off (LoLo)method of transport, uses a crane to place your cargo on the ship. This type of overseas shipping works well for cargo that is inoperable. Either the cargo ship or the dock has a crane mounted to move your equipment
- The Roll On/Roll Off (RoRo) method of transport, is predominately used for operable vehicles that are able to wheel on and off on their own power. Typically the cheapest method due to the convenience.
- The Flat Rack shipping method allow for unconventional sizing and flexibility. Given that it’s an open sided, topless shipping container, many unusual shapes and sizes can be accommodated for international transport. In case of bad weather, shrink wrap can be purchased that’ll offer additional protection.
- Container shipping is for cargo that can fit in a container size of 40ft and under. Usually stacked amongst other containers on a cargo ship, it offers walled in protection at slightly higher cost.
Related Information & FAQs
- How much does it cost to ship a car to Cameroon from the US?
- Is shipping my car to Cameroon from the US a smart choice?
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.