How to Prepare Your Car for Shipping Overseas
Anytime you plan to ship a car overseas, you must prepare accordingly. It’s best to create a list of things you must get done to make sure you stay on track. Your list should include everything that must get done prior to the process of shipping your vehicle off with the transporter.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click Here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Cross things off your list as you go along completing each task.
- Months before you would like to ship your car overseas, start searching online for the right transport company. Find a car shipping company that finds it easy to maintain a good reputation after decades of being part of the auto transport industry.
- Call the embassy of the nation you’re shipping to after you book the transport. Find out what the current auto import policy contains as well as the current tax rates. Write down all the information given to you as you’re on the phone.
- Start fulfilling the requirements and requests made by the country. This will include gathering documents, passing inspections, and following all regulations as requested. You’ll need to provide the Customs Department with proof of compliance.
- Prepare the vehicle itself for the delivery overseas. Each transporter will have their own requests based on the type of transport being made. You can expect them to ask you to clean the car inside and out, to drain all fluids except the fuel, and to remove any items that don’t belong to the vehicle.
- Make sure that you have a ride to the port where the vehicle is set to be dropped off at. Ports do not hold vehicles for their owners and you must be present when it arrives.
- Following the completed prep work of the car, check for damages. Look for scratches, dents and rust spots. Write down anything you notice and even take pictures. This will help you to spot any damages that might’ve happened during your car’s transport overseas.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.