Auto Transport: Driving It Yourself Vs. Hiring A Professional Driver
Moving to another town or state is by no means easy. Apart from having to change everything and start over, you also have to make a plan of moving your stuff to the new place. While the house stuff can go with a moving truck, moving big things like cars can get a bit complicated. There are two main ways to transport a vehicle to another place: Ship it or drive it yourself. While it easier to have a moving company handle the shipping for you, driving it is faster.
Below are the nitty-gritty’s of opting to use the road instead of shipping:
Professional driver services
Driving long distance may not be your cup of tea or maybe you are not available or able to drive the car to the new place. In this case, you can hire a professional driver to drive for you. Though this service is more expensive than shipping, it comes with certain advantages such as speed and the fact that you and the family can ride along too.
Factors to consider when hiring a professional driver service
There are two ways to find professional driver services; recommendations and local ads. Once you get someone you think is trustworthy, check their references and criminal records and take a short-term insurance cover for the trip in case of anything. If you are travelling for a very long distance, remember you may have to cater for the driver’s meals and hotels during breaks. Be sure to service and fuel the car before handing the keys to the driver.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Driving it yourself
The cheapest way to transport your car to another state is driving it yourself. The only cost you will incur is fuel, service and maybe hotels if the distance is too long. Apart from being cheap, driving the car yourself can be a great time for you and the family to bond during the road trip. Fatigue is the only downside to this option.
Things to do to make driving yourself fun and easy
Driving long distance can be the most boring thing but it can also be fun especially if you take the family with you:
- Carry some good music that you can sing along to and snacks to eat throughout the trip. Load on some filling snacks and drinks and plan for rest stops accordingly.
- Enjoy the scenery. Do some research before leaving on interesting places to stop along the way. You can always take breaks to enjoy these great views and meals so the trip can stop being so long and boring.
- Backup driver. Have another grown up who you can take driving turns with so the other one can rest and get some shut eye.
Do you hire professional driver service or drive the car yourself to your new place? The decision ultimately lies with the owner of the car. The important thing to remember is to have the car serviced, fueled and ready to go long distance.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?