Auto Transport by Rail Cost
Transporting a car by rail isn’t the most common form of shipping available but some dealerships and manufacturers prefer this method when they have multiple cars they need delivered to one location. Shipping by rail tends to cost a little less than shipping by truck or any other methods, especially since the cost of fuel often rises. Some rail transport services only allow customers with multiple cars to ship to take advantage of their shipping services, but when open spots are available they will usually find customers to fill them.
Open and Enclosed Transport by Rail
Shipping by rail includes open air or enclosed transport methods. Just like car haulers, the train will have the same construction. They’ll have an open-framed hauler that they can secure multiple vehicles to. This method will leave your car susceptible to poor weather and other outside elements. However, damage is rarely ever a concern and all licensed transporters are required to carry their state’s minimum insurance coverage.
Enclosed transport by rail is a little more expensive because it offers your vehicle more security. For this transport method, the car is placed within an enclosed container and secured for its travels. Some rail transporters will deliver other goods inside the container with the vehicle. It all depends on what company you go through and the type of enclosed shipping services they offer.
A Little More about the Costs of Car Transport by Train
The average cost of car shipping services by a car hauler or freight truck is anywhere around $800 to over $1,000 for a cross country trip. By rail, this cost is significantly less since very little fuel is needed to run a train. Some trains even allow passengers onboard while they haul the vehicles and other goods too. The cost of car’s rail transport will depend on the services you choose to purchase. Door to door delivery services will also raise the cost. The transporter will likely need to secure your car to a truck after it reaches the last railroad station drop off nearest the vehicle’s delivery address.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory