Used car shipping is not complicated but requires some good amount of caution. You are probably used to your old car and would want to keep it in good condition. Understanding how to ship your used car helps you choose the right auto transport company and shipping option. Let’s see what you need to do:
Find a reliable auto transporter
Reliable shipping companies are easy to find on the internet. With the following tips, you should find the best option.
- Legitimate: Look for the U.S Dot number for legitimate companies on their websites and adverts. If you are not sure, check the Federal Motor Carrier Administration (FMCSA) site for your chosen company.
- Experience: Old car, old hands! See what experience your shipper has in the industry. If they have handled used cars before, they are likely to look after yours too. But experience is not just experience…
- Good experience: What are past customers saying about the shipping firm? Look at the testimonials and see if their clients were satisfied with their services. See online reviews and know what other people are saying. Do they sound like they deliver?
- Insurance: Even the experienced foot slips sometimes. Ensure that your company has a good cover for your car. And before shipping your car, ask for the insurance certificate. This will make sure that you can get your vehicle back in case of an accident.
- Make comparisons: Do not settle for the first option no matter how good it looks. Search around and you might be surprised. Some auto transporters make this job easier by giving you a list of other auto transporters for your comparison. Settle for the best.
- Talk to your company: You probably want to put a human voice to the internet information you already have from your research. And rightfully so because you want more assurance. Talking to the prospective company can be a big help in making your final decision.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click Here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Prepare your car
- Inspect your car together with your trucker. Make sure that all dents, dings, and scratches are documented in the bill of lading. You can also take photographs to back up the evidence. In the case of damage, you will use these documents to make claims.
- Leave your tank ¼ full. This is the fuel that you require for loading and unloading the vehicle. More than a ¼ tank will add an extra weight to your car. You might also be charged an extra cost to degas your automobile.
- Clear all your personal belongings. Shipping companies are prohibited from carrying personal items
- Hand over your keys to the trucker
- Fix and report any mechanical problems to the driver.
Used car shipping options
Selecting a shipping method for your car depends on your budget, location, and the type of car. You may choose;
- Door to door transport: If you want convenience, consider asking your shipper to pickup or deliver our car to your location. This method is also referred to as the direct method. However, most shipping companies prefer to give this service to major cities. This is because of the high demand of shipping cars and the developed infrastructure in these areas.
- Terminal to terminal transport: If you are not favored by the direct transport, get the terminal to terminal service. Here, your car is picked up and delivered at a terminal.
- Open air transport: Cars shipped on the open air method are loaded onto an open truck. During transit, these cars are not protected from weather, elements, and road debris. However, the cars are generally safe especially with a reliable company.
- Enclosed carriers: Your classic old car still deserves a good treatment. The enclosed carriers offer an extra layer of protection against road debris, weather elements, and the public. This will give you some peace of mind as you wait to have your car back.
Pick-up your vehicle
Depending on the delivery window arrangements, you are now eager to have your car. Ensure that you can track its transit progress. You can also call your transport company if you experience an unexpected delay. Upon receiving your automobile, inspect it and sign the bill of lading. If you have any issue, let your driver know and make your damage claims.
Used car shipping is easy and safe. Given the above tips, you will get your car to the other side hassle-free. In the case you need an experienced hand to help you handle your old car, talk to us.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.