Importing Vehicles into the Netherlands From The United States
Shipping A Car To The Netherlands
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Vehicles transported to the Netherlands from the U.S. usually cost from $1,600 to $4,100 to ship.
- A shipping container is the cheapest way to ship a car to the Netherlands, particularly since the country has a number of available shipping ports.
Importing a car into the Netherlands may sound like a daunting task, but understanding the rules and regulations involved will make the process much easier. A foreign registered vehicle may be driven in the Netherlands for up to three months; after that point, the vehicle must have Dutch number plates. The fees for importing and registering a vehicle in the Netherlands vary according to several factors, including the age, origin, and condition of the vehicle.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
If a vehicle has been owned for at least six months and has been driven more than 6,000 km, it may qualify to be imported duty-free. The documents needed to request a tax-free import may be obtained from the Tax Administration. Contact Dutch customs at 0800-0143 to start the process of your tax-free import.
Note: If you import a vehicle tax-free, you must own it for at least 12 months after immigrating to the Netherlands. If a vehicle is sold prior to being in the Netherlands for 12 months, you will be liable for paying all of the import fees that were waived.
Popular Shipping Destinations:
Taxes and Fees
The Netherlands levies several taxes and fees on vehicles before a number plate can be issued. These taxes and fees may include:
- Value Added Tax (VAT/BTW)
- BPM – a “green” tax that the first person to register a vehicle in the Netherlands is required to pay
- Import Duties
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To The Netherlands
- Bill of sale/purchase invoice
- Proof of identity (passport or driver’s license)
- Foreign Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Certificate of Conformity
- Title or proof of ownership
- Proof of insurance for 6 months
- VAT (value-added tax) receipt
- Proof of residency outside EU (12 months)
- Bill of lading
All vehicles operating in the Netherlands must be approved by the RWD (National Service for Road Traffic). An RWD location can be found by calling 0900-0739. When you visit an RWD approval center, the following are required:
Note: Vehicles registered in another EU country, or those that are included as part of your personal moving inventory (no matter the country of origin) will be approved for operation in the Netherlands.
After your vehicle has been approved by the RWD, you may register your vehicle. This process takes place within the BPM department of the Customs Authorities, located within the RWD offices. You must bring the following:
- The vehicle
- BPM form issued by the RWD
- Proof of origin of the vehicle
- Certificate of Conformity or the Individual Vehicle Approval (if the vehicle is coming from outside the EU
During the registration process, the BPM amount that you owe will be calculated. After you have paid the fee, the Customs Authorities will submit proof of payment to the RWD, and they will send you a vehicle registration certificate showing that the vehicle is registered in your name.
Note: In some cases, BPM fees may be waived. Visit the website of the Tax Authorities for further details.
Number Plate and Insurance
After your vehicle is registered, you can obtain a number plate for your vehicle through the RWD. At this time it is also important to arrange auto insurance. The Netherlands mandates carrying liability insurance; you may elect to purchase more comprehensive insurance for your protection.
Related Information & FAQs
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?