Shipping A Car To The Bahamas.
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Since the Bahamas are relatively close the U.S., cars shipped from the East Coast can be very affordable to ship.
- Costs generally start at $800 and go up to as much as $2,000 or more for larger vehicles and SUVs.
The Commonwealth of the Bahamas is a country made up of over 700 islands located in the southern Atlantic off of the southeast coast of Florida. It is a member of the British Commonwealth and recognizes Queen Elizabeth II as monarch.
This island nation boasts spectacular beaches, great fishing, exciting eco-tourism opportunities and is a popular choice for destination weddings. If you fall in love with the Bahamas and decide to move there, here are some things you need to know about shipping a vehicle to this Caribbean nation.
Popular Shipping Destinations.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Other Types Of Vehicles We Transport To The Bahamas.
Keep to the Left.
They still drive on the left in this former British colony, so if you are bringing a car from a right-hand drive country, you will have to have the headlights adjusted to dip to the left instead of the right. Driving on the left takes some getting used to, but other traffic laws are similar to the United States or Canada. Be aware that traffic in the capital city of Nassau is very congested; however, if you are familiar with city driving and traffic slow downs, you should able to handle driving in the Bahamas.
RO/RO vs. Container.
Your car will travel to the Bahamas on a cargo ship in one of two ways: Roll On/Roll Off (RO/RO) or in a shipping container. RO/RO means that your car is driven onto the ship and parked inside for the duration of the trip. It must be in working order and you may not leave anything inside the car during transit. The car is simply driven off the ship after docking. Cars shipped in a container must be loaded and secured in a particular manner, and more work is involved in handling them. RO/RO is usually a little less expensive than shipping in a container.
Customs Duty and Stamp Tax.
Exporting a car to the Bahamas can be expensive. When you ship a car to the Bahamas, you will have to pay duty on it according to its value.
- less than $10,000 = 45%
- $10,000 to $20,000 = 50%
- more than $20,000 = 65%
In addition to the duty, you will be charged a 7% stamp tax. The only exception to the taxes is for vehicles that are imported for use as taxis or as part of a fleet for commercial or public transportation. Both new and used vehicles are eligible for the exemption, although used vehicles cannot be more than three years old. If you have received an exemption from duty or taxes, you may not sell the car in the Bahamas and must take it with you when you leave the country.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To The Bahamas.
- Copy of sales invoice for recently purchased cars.
- Proof of insurance.
- Customs declaration form.
- Vehicle title.
- Bill of lading.
As soon as the car enters the country, it must be taken to the Road Traffic Department for inspection, licensing and registration. For this, you will need the documents listed above, as well as a Road Traffic Vehicle Information Form and a valid driver’s license. You may use your driver’s license from your country of origin for up to three months, but after that time you must apply for a Bahamian license. You will receive your registration and license disc that day.
The fee for the inspection is $35. The cost to register a vehicle depends upon its weight:
- less than 5,000 lbs. = BS$160.00
- 5,001 – 15,000 lbs. = BS$560.00
- more than 15,000 lbs. = BS$760.00
Fees and taxes are subject to change, so it is a good idea to double check the figures shortly before you leave.
Click here to learn more about vehicle registration process in the Bahamas.
Related Information & FAQs.
- RO/RO Transport Service Cost to Ship a Car to the Bahamas
- Is it easy to ship a car from Miami to the Bahamas?
- Ship a car to the Bahamas using the safest shipping method available
- The advantages of shipping a vehicle to the Bahamas
- What are my options if I professionally transport my car to the Bahamas?
- What does it cost to ship a car to the Bahamas?
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory