Ship Your Car To Or From Switzerland.
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- The average cost of shipping a car to Switzerland from the U.S. is from $2,000 to $4,300.
- Larger vehicles, as well as those shipped from the Midwest or West Coast, generally cost more to transport to the area than standard sized cars and those shipped from the East Coast.
Popular Shipping Destinations.
Switzerland is country right at the heart of Europe with a fairly well planned transportation system that connects with other European countries. Shipping your car into Switzerland is not a lot of trouble if you are a U.S citizen. Cars of U.S citizens entering the country to establish a residence are free of duty. However, you have to provide evidence that you have owned the car for not less than six months. In addition, once you have cleared customs, you will need to register your vehicle at the road traffic office located in your canton of residence.
If you are a tourist, you can import your vehicle into the country without custom documents only if it is for your own personal use. The authorities will need substantial proof that you are a resident abroad for this to apply. On the other hand, if you only intend to stay in the country on a temporary basis, you can still import the car duty-free. But you need to first apply to the local customs authorities for duty-free customs plates.
Tourists and people who come to stay in the country don’t have to register their cars at any road traffic office. They are however required to declare their vehicles at a manned border crossing that processes trade goods. Additionally, there is a compulsory provision in the country that requires all imported vehicles to undergo a technical test at the cantonal traffic office. This should be done before you use the vehicle in Switzerland’s traffic. Switzerland is also one of the most environmentally conscious countries in Europe. So your car is likely to be taken through the anti-pollution test. You can find a simplified version of these requirements here.
Generally, the country’s laws subject the importation of cars, some delivery vans and even minibusses to the automobile duty. This duty is normally calculated at a rate of 4% of the vehicle’s value. The Swiss Customs Administration website has more information on the duty and fees charged for imported vehicles including motorbikes. Make sure you consult your auto transport company for any finer details you need to know about shipping your car to Switzerland.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Switzerland.
- Form 18.44 from customs.
- Inspection documents.
- Residency permit.
- Purchase invoice.
- Passport (copy acceptable)
- Bill of lading.
- Proof of insurance.
- Driver’s license.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Getting Around in Switzerland.
Driving in Switzerland is a little different from how we do it in the U.S. To begin with, the country has a great public transport system and the safest road networks in Europe. Additionally, you have to be at least 18 years old to drive cars and motorbikes. But if you intend to drive a bus, you will have to be at least 21 years.
U.S. citizens and foreigners from numerous other countries can use their national driving license from home for the first 12 months of stay in Switzerland. After the 12 months, they have to exchange their driver’s license for a Swiss one. You can visit this site for more information on licenses.
In case you need a complete list of road traffic offices by Canton, you can visit the Association of Road Traffic Offices in German or French. For more information, you can visit the Federal Roads Office and get Swiss road signs here.
Related Information & FAQs.
- Carefully ship a car from USA to Switzerland
- How is the process of shipping a car from the US to Switzerland carried out
- Prepare for the shipping process to get a car to Switzerland
- Transport a car to Switzerland without hurting your budget
- Try moving a car to Switzerland through an overseas auto shipping company
- The cost of shipping a car to Switzerland when open air transport services are chosen
- Learn about shipping a car from the USA to Switzerland through professionals
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?