Ship Your Car To Or From Switzerland
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- The average cost of shipping a car to Switzerland from the U.S. is from $2,000 to $4,300.
- Larger vehicles, as well as those shipped from the Midwest or West Coast, generally cost more to transport to the area than standard sized cars and those shipped from the East Coast.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Switzerland
|Los Angeles to (California port) to Basel||$350||$3,700||5+45|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Basel||$475||$3,700||6+45|
|Phoenix, AZ to (California port) to Basel||$550||$3,700||6+45|
|Columbus, OH to (New York port) to Geneva||$550||$2,800||5+23|
|Charlotte, NC to (New York port) to Zurich||$575||$2,800||6+23|
|Chicago, IL to (New York port) to Zurich||$675||$2,800||6+23|
|Denver, CO to (California port) to Geneva||$775||$3,700||7+30|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Zurich||$800||$2,800||6+23|
|Miami, FL to (New York port) to Zurich||$925||$2,800||7+23|
|Dallas, TX to (California port) to Geneva||$1,025||$3,700||7+30|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
Popular Shipping Destinations
Switzerland is country right at the heart of Europe with a fairly well planned transportation system that connects with other European countries. Shipping your car into Switzerland is not a lot of trouble if you are a U.S citizen. Cars of U.S citizens entering the country to establish a residence are free of duty. However, you have to provide evidence that you have owned the car for not less than six months. In addition, once you have cleared customs, you will need to register your vehicle at the road traffic office located in your canton of residence.
If you are a tourist, you can import your vehicle into the country without custom documents only if it is for your own personal use. The authorities will need substantial proof that you are a resident abroad for this to apply. On the other hand, if you only intend to stay in the country on a temporary basis, you can still import the car duty-free. But you need to first apply to the local customs authorities for duty-free customs plates.
Tourists and people who come to stay in the country don’t have to register their cars at any road traffic office. They are however required to declare their vehicles at a manned border crossing that processes trade goods. Additionally, there is a compulsory provision in the country that requires all imported vehicles to undergo a technical test at the cantonal traffic office. This should be done before you use the vehicle in Switzerland’s traffic. Switzerland is also one of the most environmentally conscious countries in Europe. So your car is likely to be taken through the anti-pollution test. You can find a simplified version of these requirements here.
Generally, the country’s laws subject the importation of cars, some delivery vans and even minibusses to the automobile duty. This duty is normally calculated at a rate of 4% of the vehicle’s value. The Swiss Customs Administration website has more information on the duty and fees charged for imported vehicles including motorbikes. Make sure you consult your auto transport company for any finer details you need to know about shipping your car to Switzerland.
Click here to learn more about vehicle registration process in Switzerland.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Switzerland
- Form 18.44 from customs.
- Inspection documents.
- Residency permit.
- Purchase invoice.
- Passport (copy acceptable)
- Bill of lading.
- Proof of insurance.
- Driver's license.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Getting Around in Switzerland
Driving in Switzerland is a little different from how we do it in the U.S. To begin with, the country has a great public transport system and the safest road networks in Europe. Additionally, you have to be at least 18 years old to drive cars and motorbikes. But if you intend to drive a bus, you will have to be at least 21 years.
U.S. citizens and foreigners from numerous other countries can use their national driving license from home for the first 12 months of stay in Switzerland. After the 12 months, they have to exchange their driver’s license for a Swiss one. You can visit this site for more information on licenses.
In case you need a complete list of road traffic offices by Canton, you can visit the Association of Road Traffic Offices in German or French. For more information, you can visit the Federal Roads Office and get Swiss road signs here.
Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Switzerland
A1 Auto Transport is capable of shipping all types of cargo internationally including various kinds of heavy equipment and oversized cargo. Since we have access to the greatest and strongest shipping equipment and the most current shipping technology, shipping heavy and oversized cargo nationally and internationally is easy for us to do. We also have trained and educated staff members ready to help guide you through the process of obtaining a certificate of import approval from the Customs Department.
As stated above, we have shipped all types of cargo outside of the United States. We are certain that we can successfully have your cargo delivered into Switzerland regardless of what it is. For further insight, here is a list of examples...
- Skid Steer Loaders
- Backhoe Loaders
- Telescopic Handlers
- Asphalt Pavers
- Dump Trucks and Other Large Vehicles
- Pontoon Boats and Yachts
What Are My Options through A1 Auto Transport?
A1 offers a variety of overseas heavy equipment transport services and features. As for our methods of transport for overseas deliveries, we have several significantly great solutions. However, some of these options may not be available to you. The transport methods you’re able to take advantage of will depend on the type of heavy equipment or oversized cargo you are shipping to Switzerland.
A1’s International Shipping Services
- Container Shipping- An enclosed overseas shipping service that offers the most protection. Regrettably, not all oversized and heavy equipment can fit into a 40ft shipping container. If you’re eligible to use this transport method, your cargo will be kept safe from inclement weather conditions.
- Flat Rack Shipping- This is the safest form of open air transport that A1 has to offer. Your cargo is strapped to a metal frame before it is placed atop the ship. If bad weather is a concern, your cargo will get protected with shrink wrap.
- RoRo Shipping- The most cheapest open air transport method. Your equipment or vehicle must have the ability to drive onto and off of the shipping vessel using a ramp.
- LoLo Shipping- An open air service that’s commonly used by those transporting crated equipment or inoperable vehicles overseas. Construction materials such as large pipes, metal frames and heavy supplies may also benefit from this shipping method.
Related Information & FAQs.
- Carefully ship a car from USA to Switzerland
- How is the process of shipping a car from the US to Switzerland carried out
- Prepare for the shipping process to get a car to Switzerland
- Transport a car to Switzerland without hurting your budget
- Try moving a car to Switzerland through an overseas auto shipping company
- The cost of shipping a car to Switzerland when open air transport services are chosen
- Learn about shipping a car from the USA to Switzerland through professionals
- Import vehicle into USA from Switzerland