The second largest city and one of the ports in Costa Rica, Puerto Limón is the administrative and commercial center of the Limón province.
If you intend moving there temporarily or intend staying there for a few years, it might be of advantage if you import your vehicle here.
It is difficult if you try shipping your vehicle on your own from USA to Puerto Limón but with the assistance of A1 Auto Transport service the whole process can be completed smoothly. It is essential to know that all vehicles that are being imported into the country require emission testing which has to be done at least 2 months in advance of the shipment. You have the option of choosing temporary or permanent import option.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Motor vehicle on temporary import.
You don’t have to pay any custom duty or tax, if you are importing the vehicle for 3 months or less. However the pertinent documentation has to be complete. You are required to submit:
- Passport and driving license with copies of both sides.
- Vehicle registration documents.
- Clear title deed/authorized letter from lender if there is a lien to transport it abroad.
- Bill of Lading.
Then you are required to fill in the forms as per the Costa Rica Customs department. It is important that your visa shows the dates for which you need the temporary import status. You are required to submit the originals and copies. In case you are citizen of Costa Rica, you will be required to show proof of residency. You have to pay a fee to get the permission for temporary import.
About permanent import.
It is essential to get in touch with a Costa Rican Custom, before you permanently import a vehicle. Though the submission of documents remains the same, you need to ensure that you are aware of the tax and duties that have to be paid. It is calculated on the basis of the cost of the vehicle, freight charges and insurance. As per the import duties:
- If vehicle is 3 years and less, the tax that you will pay is 52.30%
- If the automobile is 4 to 5 years old, you need to pay 63.90%
- If the car is more than 6 years old, it is taxed at 79.5%
As the taxes in Costa Rica are high, even if you buy a vehicle in Puerto Limon, it is going to be more expensive than importing your vehicle from USA. The taxes are more because the Customs officials consider the higher value of the evaluation to calculate the taxes. To get the value of your vehicle, you need to know that it is calculated by Ministry of Finance AutoValor. The commercial invoice and other charges are considered when the taxes are calculated.
You have the option of shipping your vehicle using container shipping or Roll-on/Roll-Off methods. It is affordable and safe to ship with A1 Auto Transport Company. In case you need more information on the import taxes and regulations, you can contact Embassy of Costa Rica.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?