The largest city and capital of Kenya is Nairobi. It is well known for the Nairobi National Park. It is the only game reserve in a major city in the world. Nairobi County is made up of the city of Nairobi as well as neighboring cities around.
Kenya has many cities but Nairobi is the more prominent one. It is a place to find thousands of businesses and over 100 major organizations and companies. You can also find the United Nations and is the center of United Nations Environment Program.
Moving to Nairobi can be exciting. You will want to enjoy all the local attractions and get around when you want to by providing your own transportation. You will need to follow the rules and regulations of transporting vehicles to Nairobi so you are not delayed and can drive as soon as you have your vehicle. A1 Auto Transport service can help you get your vehicle from the United States to Nairobi as quickly as possible and following all the rules and regulations.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Requirements for Importing your Vehicle.
KRA, or Kenya Revenue Authority uses retail/selling prices and clearing and forwarding agents to assist in determine the duties charges. The vehicle’s model is not always the same year the car was registered. The duty will be calculated using the time the vehicle was registered. According to Kenya Bureau of Standards, you cannot import a vehicle that is eight years old and older.
Engine capacity will help to determine customs. The larger the engine is, the more duty you will pay. Excise duty is also determined. If the vehicle is less than three years, you are charged nearly Ksh 150,000. If a car is more than three years old, it is charged Ksh 200,000. The Value Added Tax or VAT is also added to duty. This tax is at 16%. You will be responsible for getting your vehicle licensed before you can import it to Kenya. The Import Declaration fee is normally charged at a rate of 25% of the CIF value. This charge is not associated with customs duties.
Tax exemptions for returning citizens.
If you are coming back to Kenya after being abroad for a while, you will be able to bring back one vehicle duty free. This does not include a bus or a mini bus. The following rules will apply:
- vehicle must not be more than eight years old.
- must be at least eighteen years old.
- must be not have obtained permission from exemption before.
- must have been living outside of Kenya for at least two years .
- must be returning with their own vehicle that they have owned for at least twelve months.
When preparing for shipment, you will need to have the following documents with you:
- Proof of residency in the country.
- Proof of auto insurance.
- Invoice for duties that have been paid.
- Title of the vehicle.
- Registration of the vehicle.
Shipping Methods to Nairobi.
There are two different shipping methods to choose from when coming to Kenya. You can choose either the roll on roll off method or the container shipping. The most cost effective way to import a vehicle is through the Roll on/Roll Off method. You will only be allowed to have floor mats, car jack, and a spare tire in your vehicle at the time of transport.
The container shipping is more expensive but you can also share the container with another person who may be importing items as well. You will have a choice between two sizes of the container; 20 and 40 foot. You will need to make a list of items that are in your container to give to Kenya customs upon arrival.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?