When you need to ship a vehicle to Kolkata, it isn’t the same as shipping it across the United States from state to state. There are certain documents that must be provided and paperwork that will have to be turned in prior to shipping. All drivers in Kolkata must obtain a local driver’s license to drive on the roadways in the city.
Before you ship a vehicle to Kolkata you will need to fill out mandatory paperwork and provide documents to the shipping company that will be transporting your vehicle overseas. The agent will go over the methods of shipping available as well as the total cost. When you import a car into Kolkata, you will need to be with your car at the customs check to clear it for entry into the country.
To find more information on customs regulations and requirements you can check with the U.S. Border and Protection Agency and they will be able to help you with the information you need pertaining to U.S. export laws and importing to Kolkata. They can also direct you to any customs paperwork and forms that may need to be filled out prior to shipping any personal items as well.
Before you can ship a vehicle to Kolkata, you will need to provide documents to the customs department as well as to auto transporter. The required documents for international transport are:
- Certificate of Title
- Driver’s License
- Bill of Sale or a Value Appraisal
- Paperwork showing that you are the original owner of the vehicle
- Passport or a copy of your passport
- Vehicle Insurance Certificate
The transport company may also have you sign a Power of Attorney if you will need them to pick your car up or deliver it when it reaches the port of entry to be driven into Kolkata. Vehicles being imported into Kolkata cannot be older than 4 years old and all vehicle will have to pay a mandatory duty fee that is usually more than 100% of the value of the vehicle.
Motor Vehicle Regulations in Kolkata
You can visit the United States Consulate website for further information on importing your vehicle and personal items allowed. You can also speak to your transport agent and they can help you with paperwork you will need and will be able to answer any questions you may have about the shipping process, length of time it will take the car to be transported to Kolkata from the exit port in the United States, and the cost of shipping.
You will also need to abide by the following rules pertaining to importing your car to Kolkata:
- Once your car arrives in Kolkata, you are required by Indian law to pick it up in person within 30 days if it is delivered by sea and 15 days if delivered by air.
- Cars must be four years old or newer
- You must pay duty fees unless you have Diplomatic status and have had the fees exempted by the Indian Ministry of Affairs
- If your car is new, it must be imported only from the country of origin (i.e. U.S. manufactured vehicles must come from the U.S. straight to Kolkata)
- All imports must have the steering wheel on the right.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Types of Shipping Available
There are three types of shipping available to transport your vehicle to Kolkata. The first type is called Ro-Ro Shipping. Ro-Ro Shipping is a type of shipping that allows the vehicle to be driven directly onto the carrier ship and secured in place for the overseas trip. Container Shipping. When you use a container for shipping a vehicle, it is loaded into a freight container and loaded onto a carrier ship for travel overseas. Container shipping is a bit more costly than Ro-Ro shipping, but it is preferred when you need to transport personal items with your vehicle. The third way to ship your vehicle is by Air Shipping. With air shipping, your vehicle is loaded into a freight plane and flown to Kolkata. This is the fastest type of shipping when shipping a vehicle and is often preferred by those who have classic or luxury vehicles.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?