Car Shipping Colombia
Ship Your Car To Or From Colombia
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- For most cars coming from the U.S., the cost of shipping to Colombia is $1,700 to $4,100 (this assumes basic shipment of a standard vehicle).
- Most shipments to the area come by way of a shipping container, so larger vehicles that cannot fit into a container are assessed an additional cost.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Colombia
|San Jose, CA to (California port) to Cartagena||$200||$2,900||5+12|
|Los Angeles to (California port) to Cartagena||$350||$2,900||5+12|
|Boston, MA to (New York port) to Cartagena||$400||$2,500||5+9|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Cartagena||$475||$2,900||6+12|
|Seattle, WA to (California port) to Cartagena||$550||$2,900||6+12|
|Charlotte, NC to (New York port) to Cartagena||$575||$2,500||6+9|
|Detroit, MI to (New York port) to Cartagena||$575||$2,500||6+9|
|Chicago, IL to (New York port) to Cartagena||$675||$2,500||6+9|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Cartagena||$800||$2,500||6+9|
|Dallas, TX to (California port) to Cartagena||$1,025||$2,900||7+12|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
The very first thing you need to know about shipping/exporting your vehicle to Colombia is a potential deal-breaker: ALL cars shipped to Colombia must now be new, meaning they must be the most recent model year from that manufacturer. The lone exception to this is antique cars, and those must be checked with the Colombian port authority on a case-by-case basis. The country does not allow older, used cars to be imported, so if you do have an older vehicle you don’t have many options other than buying a car once you get to Colombia.
Of the utmost importance in shipping your vehicle is retaining a reliable, forthright shipping company licensed to operate internationally. This is extremely important because it is necessary to be aware of and understand all the country’s requirements which regulate imports. Before getting a quote from an international shipper, you may want to educate yourself about Colombian customs rules.
Your car will probably be leaving the U.S. from one of the several southern ports, for instance; Port Everglades, Miami, Houston, or Galveston, and is most likely to arrive in Colombia at either Cartagena, Buenaventura, or Barranquilla port. Most of these ports have ships departing either weekly or bi-weekly, so you’ll need to check on exact dates for the port nearest your home location.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
When discussing your shipping needs with a carrier, you’ll want to be prepared to choose either container shipping or RORO shipping (roll-on, roll-off). For container shipping, the car is sealed in a container and is locked for safety; for RORO shipping, the car will be driven on and off the ship via a ramp. Container shipping is the more expensive option, but it is not the only factor in determining the cost. The price to have your vehicle shipped will also depend on the time of year, the size of your vehicle, insurance (if desired), and whether you need the vehicle picked up at your home, or you drive it to the exit port.
Top Colombia Destinations:
Other Types Of Vehicles We Transport To Colombia
Things to Remember
As might be expected, there are a ton of things to remember with a venture like shipping your automobile to another country. In many cases, your shipping carrier will have a handle on all these things and even do some of them for you, but you would be well-advised to be aware of these issues yourself, so as to ward off any unpleasant complications during the process.
- Documentation. You’ll need copies of your driver’s license, passport, and some form of proof of ownership – these will be required by Colombian Customs.
- Eligibility. Make sure your vehicle is eligible to be shipped to another country. The exact laws governing eligibility are listed in Title 19 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, but in general, refer to the documentation requirements and rules regarding lienholder permission.
- File with U.S. Customs and Border Protection. This is one of those areas that may be handled by your shipper, but be sure and confirm this. Documentation must be submitted to this agency at least 72 hours before the vehicle can be exported, and it is advisable to allow even more time.
- Retrieving the vehicle. If anyone other than the registered owner is picking up the vehicle at the destination port, written authorization is necessary to avoid complications regarding identity.
- Title transfer. After the vehicle has been successfully shipped and retrieved, it will be necessary to transfer the title over to follow the required Colombian standard. You may also have to get the vehicle inspected and pay additional taxes.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Colombia
- Verified import permit
- Bill of lading (provided by shipper)
- Original invoice
- Bill of sale (copy okay)
- Vehicle title
- Proof of registration
Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Colombia
To get heavy equipment or oversized cargo shipped to Colombia from the U.S., it is in your greatest interest to hire reputable overseas transporters. A1 Auto Transport will make sure your cargo is shipped safely overseas by using state of the art transporting equipment and the latest shipping technology. With all that we have access to, there is hardly any type of heavy or oversized equipment we can’t transport internationally.
If your curious what types of cargo we mean when we say “oversized” or “heavy” equipment, here are some examples…
- Large Vehicles
- Heavy Machinery
- Farm Equipment
- Mining Equipment
- Industrial Equipment
- Paving Equipment
- Hydraulic Machinery
- Engineering Equipment and more…
No matter what type of cargo you intend to ship to Colombia, we will add on free protection through insurance coverage. It may not protect the full value of your cargo but we offer additional insurance options.
International Transport Options through A1
There are four methods of transport we offer for those who wish to ship large or heavy equipment overseas. All of these methods are wonderful, safe options yet what is available to you will depend on the type of equipment you’re shipping. Our trained representatives will assist you with your shipping options. Here are the methods of shipping we have available…
- Container Transport
- Flat Rack Shipping
- Roll On/Roll Off Shipping
- Lift On/Lift Off Shipping
Container shipping is the most expensive option since it offers the most security but your cargo must fit into a 40ft shipping container. The Roll On/Roll Off shipping method is the least expensive open air transport option we have and it requires your vehicle or equipment to roll onto and off of the ship. Flat Rack shipping secures your cargo to a metal frame for its travels, while Lift On/Lift Off shipping is mostly recommended to crated cargo and those with inoperable vehicles.
Related Information & FAQs
- What should I know before shipping a car from Miami to Colombia?
- What will it cost to ship a car to Colombia from the US?
- How can I find an overseas transporter to ship my car to Colombia?
- What is the best shipping service for transporting a used car to Colombia?
- What it takes to find a reputable shipping company to import your car in Colombia?