Ship Your Car To Or From Colombia.
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- For most cars coming from the U.S., the cost of shipping to Colombia is $1,700 to $4,100 (this assumes basic shipment of a standard vehicle).
- Most shipments to the area come by way of a shipping container, so larger vehicles that cannot fit into a container are assessed an additional cost.
The very first thing you need to know about shipping/exporting your vehicle to Colombia is a potential deal-breaker: ALL cars shipped to Colombia must now be new, meaning they must be the most recent model year from that manufacturer. The lone exception to this is antique cars, and those must be checked with the Colombian port authority on a case-by-case basis. The country does not allow older, used cars to be imported, so if you do have an older vehicle you don’t have many options other than buying a car once you get to Colombia.
Of the utmost importance in shipping your vehicle is retaining a reliable, forthright shipping company licensed to operate internationally. This is extremely important because it is necessary to be aware of and understand all the country’s requirements which regulate imports. Before getting a quote from an international shipper, you may want to educate yourself about Colombian customs rules.
Your car will probably be leaving the U.S. from one of the several southern ports, for instance; Port Everglades, Miami, Houston, or Galveston, and is most likely to arrive in Colombia at either Cartagena, Buenaventura, or Barranquilla port. Most of these ports have ships departing either weekly or bi-weekly, so you’ll need to check on exact dates for the port nearest your home location.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
When discussing your shipping needs with a carrier, you’ll want to be prepared to choose either container shipping or RORO shipping (roll-on, roll-off). For container shipping, the car is sealed in a container and is locked for safety; for RORO shipping, the car will be driven on and off the ship via a ramp. Container shipping is the more expensive option, but it is not the only factor in determining the cost. The price to have your vehicle shipped will also depend on the time of year, the size of your vehicle, insurance (if desired), and whether you need the vehicle picked up at your home, or you drive it to the exit port.
Top Colombia Destinations:
Other Types Of Vehicles We Transport To Colombia.
Things to Remember.
As might be expected, there are a ton of things to remember with a venture like shipping your automobile to another country. In many cases, your shipping carrier will have a handle on all these things and even do some of them for you, but you would be well-advised to be aware of these issues yourself, so as to ward off any unpleasant complications during the process.
- Documentation. You’ll need copies of your driver’s license, passport, and some form of proof of ownership – these will be required by Colombian Customs.
- Eligibility. Make sure your vehicle is eligible to be shipped to another country. The exact laws governing eligibility are listed in Title 19 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, but in general, refer to the documentation requirements and rules regarding lienholder permission.
- File with U.S. Customs and Border Protection. This is one of those areas that may be handled by your shipper, but be sure and confirm this. Documentation must be submitted to this agency at least 72 hours before the vehicle can be exported, and it is advisable to allow even more time.
- Retrieving the vehicle. If anyone other than the registered owner is picking up the vehicle at the destination port, written authorization is necessary to avoid complications regarding identity.
- Title transfer. After the vehicle has been successfully shipped and retrieved, it will be necessary to transfer the title over to follow the required Colombian standard. You may also have to get the vehicle inspected and pay additional taxes.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Colombia.
- Verified import permit.
- Bill of lading (provided by shipper)
- Original invoice.
- Bill of sale (copy okay)
- Vehicle title.
- Proof of registration.
Related Information & FAQs.
- What should I know before shipping a car from Miami to Colombia?
- What will it cost to ship a car to Colombia from the US?
- How can I find an overseas transporter to ship my car to Colombia?
- What is the best shipping service for transporting a used car to Colombia?
- What it takes to find a reputable shipping company to import your car in Colombia?
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?