Santa Marta is the capital of the Magdalena department and currently the third largest city in Colombia, located in the Caribbean Region. It was founded back in 1525 on the 29th of July by Rodrigo de Bastidas, a Spanish conquistador.
The first thing that is important about shipping a car abroad is potentially a deal-breaker as Colombia allows only brand new cars to be imported. This means that you have to have the newest model offered by this manufacturer. Antique cars are the only exception. The country does not allow any other vehicles to be imported. So if you don’t have a brand new car you are left with the only option of buying one when you arrive in Colombia.
Hiring a reliable shipping agency is of utmost importance because you have to be aware of the requirements and the regulations of the country related to the import. It’s also advisable to inform yourself about the rules set by Customs Authority of Colombia
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Export the car from USA.
You can choose by a variety of U.S ports to pick as departure points such as Miami, Houston, Galveston, and Port Everglades and so on. It’s likely to arrive in Colombia at Cartagena, Barranquilla or Buenaventura. The majority of the Colombian ports have ships which depart weekly or once every two weeks from the USA so the time shouldn’t be that long. When discussing the details with your shipping agency you have to choose between RORO and container shipping. The former offers a simpler and cheaper service by driving your car on a shipping deck. The latter involves a private container in which you can ship other valuable goods. The total quote for the price would depend on all these factors including value of your car, size, and if you choose additional services such as door-to-port pick up.
Things to remember.
There are a lot of important things to be considered. The majority of things should be handled by your carrier but there are some things that you should take care of such as:
- You have to prepare your driver’s license, passport as well as ownership proof.
- The Title 19 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations clearly stipulates the eligible cars so make sure to go through there.
- File with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection at least 72 hours prior to the shipping. This could be handled by your shipping agency.
- Retrieve your car. You can also authorize someone else to that by signing a letter of authorization. The shipping agent
- Transfer title. This is done in order to follow the Colombian standard. You’d also have to pay taxes, duties and fees for getting the license plates and the local registration.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?