How To Register A Vehicle Shipped To Colombia
If you’ve ever shipped a car to another country, either for temporary or permanent use, you know that there’s more to it than simply putting it on a boat and picking it up at your destination. Once the vehicle arrives, you still need to work out proper licensing and registration, as well as the associated fees and paperwork that go along with it.
In this article, we’ll cover information about import restrictions, applicable taxes, and the steps you’ll need to take in order to register an imported vehicle in Colombia.
If you’re in the beginning stages of considering shipping a vehicle to Colombia, there are some important limitations you’ll need to be familiar with first. For example, Colombia does not permit the permanent import of a used vehicle, even those made in the previous year.
They do offer temporary import permits for vehicles that will not stay permanently in the country. Exceptions can also be made for classic and collector automobiles, provided they have the necessary documentation to verify authenticity.
Import taxes are an important consideration any time you’re shipping a vehicle from one country to another. For Colombia, the standard import tax is 30% for cars and 15% for trucks, both of which will be based on the assessed value of the vehicle (which may be higher than blue book value).
If you need some information about shipping a vehicle to Colombia, we encourage readers to visit our international shipping page to get an idea of the costs and necessary steps for importing a vehicle into the country.
Registering An Imported (New) Vehicle In Colombia
Now that we’ve established some of the costs and potential hurdles of bringing a vehicle into Colombia for personal use, let’s get into the specifics of how to go about registering it. As mentioned above, these steps are for the registration of a new vehicle, whereas older cars and those meant for temporary import go through a similar but different set of steps.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Requirements For Registering A Vehicle In Colombia
- Proof of purchase (invoice)
- Import declaration form
- Certificate of registration
- Proof of insurance (SOAT: Seguro Obligatorio de Accidentes de Transito)
- Receipt from applicable vehicle taxes
- Application form for registration
When these forms are submitted for registration, there is also a fee associated with the processing. These are the basic steps you’ll need to take to get a vehicle registered, though we strongly encourage readers to check with the appropriate agencies (see links below) just in case there have been any recent changes to the vehicle registration process.
Resources For Colombia Vehicle Registration
Colombia Ministry Of Transport – (Spanish language) The website for the Colombia Ministry of Transport is good resource for determining what you need to do to register a vehicle and where you need to go to do it.
Ministry of Trade, Industry & Tourism – Another Spanish language page, this one gives you the details of how to obtain a permit for importing a classic or vintage vehicle.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?