Deliver Your Car Stress Free and Have Peace of Mind
- Compare rates for shipping to or from Hawaii
- Licensed, bonded and insured carriers near you
- Award winning service, always on time
- Get instant quotes using our form, or call: 1-800-452-2880
Safe And Reliable Hawaii Car Shipping Services By A-1 Auto Transport
The beautiful islands of Hawaii consist of a paradise to which many people on the mainland wish they could escape on a daily basis. Between the crystal blue waters of the Pacific Ocean to the colorful culture that permeates all aspects of life here, there is much to see and do, which makes this both a huge tourist draw as well as a popular spot to which to relocate.
Shipping a vehicle to one of the islands can be expensive, but it is well worth it when you consider the ability you have to drive yourself to one of the many sites that can’t be missed, particularly on the Big Island. From the trendy downtown shopping district in Honolulu to one of the numerous picturesque beach settings, Hawaii is as much an experience as it is a destination.
Tips For Handling Hawaii Car Transport Companies
When you are looking to book Hawaii car shipping services, keep a few key tips in mind.
- Plot out points of interest: There is so much to see in Hawaii, that it can be easy to miss something. Do yourself a favor and plot out your points ahead of time to ensure that you get where you want to be and see as much as possible during your visit to this beautiful and scenic state.
- Get quotes ahead of time as they can be pricey going from the islands to the mainland: It can be pricier than usual to go from the mainland to the islands and back. Plan ahead by getting as many Hawaii vehicle shipping quotes as possible, so that you have time to find and book the company that provides a quote within the range of your personal budget.
- You may need to ship more than once: If you plan to island hop and want your car with you when you do, then you may need to ship more than one time to ensure that you are independent during your travels.
A trip to Hawaii is something that should be experienced at least once and the more independent you can be during your trip, the better. Use your car to explore the island and take advantage of shipping services to get your vehicle from one island to the next.
Long Distance Auto Transport to/from Hawaii
A1 Auto Transport handles shipments throughout the US, even to/from Hawaii. If you wish to transport a car to another state or to another country, consult with our staff regarding the most appropriate route and transportation method.
Land auto transportation is generally handled with open carriers, since they’re more convenient, and they can reach remote places that trains and planes don’t have access to. Shipping across the Atlantic is usually done by boat. It’s far cheaper than a plane, but it’s also much slower. Finally, shipping by plane is the fastest method, but due to the price and difficulty in booking one, it’s rarely used for vehicles.
Shipping Luxury and Classic Cars to Hawaii
Owners of antique or exotic vehicles usually value time and quality of service more than anything. For such clients, an enclosed carrier is ideal. It delivers their classic and luxury cars in a timely manner while providing protection from any outside danger (debris, weather conditions, dirt), and unfavorable incidents.
Top and side covers as well as straps secure the car on the trailer. They are especially calibrated to ensure a safe ride. The company uses direct routes, so your shipment gets to Hawaii in a short amount of time.
Hawaii Special Discounts
Auto shipping services are offered at special prices to seniors and students that wish to transport their cars throughout the US. Military members that contract any of our services benefit from similar discounts. You can cut costs even if you’re not part of these groups, if you take advantage of our seasonal offers.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Hawaii Auto Transport Companies Directory
This Hawaii automobile transportation company employs professionals that are among the best in the industry and specializes in relocating your vehicles safely and carefully over water to and from the mainland.
1411 Sand Island Pkwy., Honolulu, HI
Young Brothers provide shipment and delivery of cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, boats, motorcycles and more in special containers and always makes sure to do a thorough inspection of your car before, during and after the shipping process.
1331 North Nimitz Highway, Honolulu, HI
Pasha Hawaii Transport Lines
If you need an affordable auto shipping option, then this business might just be the one for you. Pasha has shipping rates that won’t break the budget and an array of services to meet your specific auto shipping needs. Open air and enclosed shipping vessels always meet their schedules.
965 N. Nimitz Highway, Honolulu, HI
Providing a lengthy track record with great reviews for solid car shipping to and from the mainland and an impeccable customer service reputation, Horizon provides a wide range of shipping services to meet your needs. BBB accredited car shippers, check their review online.
1601 Sand Island Parkway, Honolulu, HI
A&P Shipping Corporation
Providing shipping for vehicles and other freight to and from the mainland with ease. Licensed, bonded and insured. Deliveries nationwide all over the United States. Offers military and seasonal discounts/specials. Call or email them today for a free price quote.
94-547 Ukee St., Number 305
Vehicle Registration Process in Hawaii
A vehicle needs to be registered in a county of Hawaii, where the owner lives. The registration process varies by the county. A safety evaluation, submission of the registration application form and vehicle title, and payment of applicable fees are the requirements.
If you have plans to relocate to Hawaii or purchase a vehicle, you need to register it through the Transportation office. This state is unique, because the counties are in the form of islands. Vehicles are must be registered where you live.
Reminder: A new policy was implemented in 2017 requiring all Hawaii moped owners to have safety evaluations and register the mopeds each year. All counties are expected to comply with the new policy.
Before you move to Hawaii, or if you plan to stay for a long time, you need to apply for a permit or register the vehicle indicating the country you wish to reside in.
Hawaii Vehicle Registration Process for a New Resident
Your vehicle needs to be registered in 30 days if you plan to move to Hawaii. First, you need to secure a safety evaluation certificate coming from an authorized safety inspection office.
You need to submit the following documents to the nearest county:
- A completed form (Registration of Vehicle Application);
- A recent vehicle registration certificate;
- An out-of-state document;
- A receipt of shipment (indicating the vehicle’s date of arrival);
- A Safety Evaluation Certificate (Hawaii);
- Manufacturer’s vehicle weight proof (If no document presented, your vehicle needs to be weighed using an authorized scale;
- A Vehicle Use Certification Tax Form (this document will determine if you must pay taxes for your vehicle);
- Pay all the applicable fees for registration.
Hawaii’s Permit for Out-of-State Vehicles
If you do not have plans to stay for a long period of time in Hawaii, you have an option to apply for a temporary permit (out-of-state). You must have your vehicle inspected first at the nearest authorized safety check location.
You need to complete the details below in 30 days upon your arrival date:
- Provide a recent registration card listed under your name.
- Show your certificate of vehicle inspection.
- Fill out the Permit for Vehicle Application form.
- Submit a copy of shipping receipt indicating the arrival date.
- Pay the permit fee ($5).
After securing the permit, the license plates are going to be valid up to 1 year or until the expiration date mentioned on it, whichever comes first.
Vehicle Registration in Hawaii
There is a minimal difference in terms of the registration process for every county in this state. There is a registration process example below for a county. You may contact the closest DMV local office to get the required details.
If you’ve recently moved to another county or purchased a car, you need to register the vehicle at the closest vehicle registration station near the county you reside in.
There is a slight difference depending on the following:
- Vehicles purchased from private individuals;
- Vehicle (pre-owned/new) purchased from a dealership in Hawaii;
- Moving from one county in Hawaii to another.
Purchased vehicles from a dealership: Purchasing a vehicle from a dealer is easy. Generally, it is the car dealership who will process all the requirements to secure your vehicle’s license and title, including the collection of the registration fee.
Purchased Vehicle from Private Individuals
Your vehicle needs to be registered in 30 days after your purchase it. Proceed to the vehicle registration station and send the following:
- The title of the vehicle (endorsed by the last owner in your name);
- A recent vehicle registration (Hawaii) from the last owner. For expired registrations and those that are due to expire in 45 days, you will be required to pay a renewal fee.
- A duly completed Registration of Vehicle Application form. (All owners included on the document must affix their signatures).
- A recent safety evaluation certificate.
- Pay the vehicle transfer fee (which is $5).
If the ownership is not transferred and the registration is incomplete in 30 days, a late fee of $50 is going to be charged. Overdue taxes shall be billed depending on the number of years the vehicle wasn’t listed for. You may confirm these details with the vehicle seller to identify who needs to pay the overdue taxes, if needed.
Moving Counties within the State
Vehicles from Hawaii are should be registered depending on the area or county they are used in, rather than a state registration. When you plan to move counties within Hawaii, you need to register your vehicle using the new county residence address.
Proceed to a Department of Motor Vehicle office and submit the following:
- A duly completed Registration of Vehicle Application form. All owners included on the document need to affix their signatures.
- The vehicle’s title.
- Registration certificate of the vehicle.
- Lienholder details (if applicable).
- Payment of associated fees (like registration fees, which is indicated on the registration form).
Hawaii Military Personnel and Vehicle Registration
There are different rules in registering the vehicle. It varies depending on the location or the residency of the service member applying for car registration in Hawaii.
Military members assigned in Hawaii from another state: If you need to register an out-of-state car in this state, you must contact the DMV in Hawaii for further instructions.
There is no need to pay for registration fees if you bought a car in the state or if you opt to register an out-of-state car.
Servicemen, Reservists, and those who are in tentative active duty as soldiers do not receive an exemption from paying registration fees. However, they may get an exemption to pay for weight taxes of vehicle for at least one car listed under their name.
In order to be exempted from the registration fee:
- Observe the recommended process listed above, whichever is applicable. AND
- Complete and send the required form: (Certificate of Non-Resident form and Hawaii Certificate of Residency form).
A form needs to be filled out each time there is an application to renew the registration, transfer car ownership and when moving counties within the same state.
If you decide to move to Hawaii, leave the vehicle in Hawaii or end your active duty as a serviceman, you will be required to pay fees and you must process the registration of your vehicle in 30 days.
Hawaii military residents assigned within the state: Military members who are also residents of the same state can register a car using a similar process for residents of Hawaii. They may be exempted from paying vehicle weight charges.
They need to secure a form to prove they are residents of Hawaii. The form is called a HI Resident Certificate. They may submit the form with the other documents indicated above to the closest vehicle registration location.
Hawaii servicemen residents assigned outside the state: If you are assigned outside the state, as a resident in Honolulu, a vehicle registration may be done via mail.
You must perform the following:
- Call the Customer Service of Honolulu.
- Complete a Military Resident document when you register the vehicle.
- Submit the complete form to the nearest DMV office (Hawaii) to make sure registration requirements are received in your present location.
Please call your assigned Vehicle Registration station if you need to check if this an option for you if you live in Kauai, Hawaii Counties, or Maui.
Registration Fees for Vehicles
Car registration fees depend on your residence county, weight of the vehicle, and other state/county taxes.
You must call your car registration office and ask for the cost of the associated fees.
Some of examples of fees in these counties are:
- County fee is 12 US dollars.
- State fee is 45 US dollars.
- Transfer fee is 5 US dollars.
- State weight cost would range from 1.75 centavos per pound up to a maximum of $300 if the weight goes beyond 10,000 pounds.
- County weight charge for trucks and passenger vehicles up to a maximum of 6,500 pounds is 1.25 centavos per pound, and if it exceeds 6,500 pounds, it would cost 2.5 centavos per pound.
- Beautification fee is 1 US dollar.
- Sticker replacement/renewal fee is $0.50.
- Replacement of plate is 5 US dollars.
- Duplicate registration fee is 5 US dollars.
How to Secure a Duplicate Copy of the Vehicle Registration in Hawaii
You need to apply for another copy of the registration certificate once you lose the registration, or in case it was damaged or stolen.
Proceed to the closest DMV location and do the following:
- Submit a form called the Duplicate Vehicle Registration Certificate application.
- Pay the associated fees charged by the county.
Vehicle Inspections in Hawaii
Hawaii requires the safety inspection of all vehicles before the registration process. A yearly inspection is also required after registering the vehicle.
Bring your car to an authorized vehicle repair shop and service station. You need to provide:
- Your present vehicle registration.
- Hawaii vehicle insurance.
A group of inspection specialists will be able to evaluate if the vehicle passes safety standards. Once you pass the evaluation, you will receive a certificate of inspection and a copy of the result will be submitted to the DMV. It may take 48 hours to update the information.
Inspection of emissions is not a requirement. It is the owner’s responsibility to maintain it for a cleaner environment.
License plates in Hawaii: After you have successfully registered the vehicle, a standard license plate will be issued. There is an option to order customized license plates. You need to pay the additional cost to get one and it could take a longer time for you to receive them.
Other Hawaii Resources
Hawaii.gov – official government website for the state of Hawaii.
Hawaii Wikipedia Page – everything you need to know about the state of Hawaii.
University Of Hawaii – The University of Hawaii System includes 10 campuses and dozens of educational, training and research centers across the Hawaiian Islands. As the public system of higher education in Hawai‘i, UH offers opportunities as unique and diverse as our Island home.
Hawaii On Craigslist – local classifieds and forums for jobs, housing, for sale, personals, services, local community, and events.
Services And Information
Related Information & FAQ
- How do I ship my car to Hawaii?
- Cost to ship a car and household goods to HI
- Finding a motorcycle shipping company in Hawaii
- Why to ship a motorcycle to Hawaii through professionals
- Shipping a car from the mainland To Hawaii
- Shipping an RV to Hawaii
- How much does it cost to ship a truck to Hawaii?
- Buy services from professionals for boat shipping to Hawaii
- How to ship a non-running car from Hawaii?
- The cheapest way to ship a car to Hawaii
- Cost to ship a car to Hawaii
- Can I ship my household goods in my car to Hawaii?
- How long will it take to ship my car to the Hawaiian Islands?
- Inter-island car shipping Hawaii
- Shipping car from Hawaii to mainland for military
- Shipping a car to Hawaii from the east coast
- How much does it cost to ship a motorcycle to Hawaii?
- Ship RV to Hawaii
- Ship your boat to Hawaii
- What will it cost to ship a boat?
- Motorcycle transport to Hawaii
- Container shipping to or from HI
Reviews from Customers in Hawaii
I love A1 Auto Transport! Last year, we left Pennsylvania for Hawaii on Vacation. We’re pretty comfortable people, so we found having to take the bus everywhere a huge pain. We wanted to do something different and take our car with us this time around.
After a quick web search, we chose A1 Auto Transport as our go to company, a very wise decision if I may say so. They arranged for a truck to come pickup my car and even took care of the sea transport part of the equation.
We told Joe when we wanted to go on vacation and for how long, and he planned the transport around it. He had his men pickup the car and send it to the port, from where it travelled by boat to the island.
He timed everything just right. We arrived on Monday, and picked up the car on Monday afternoon. It’s safe to say it was the best month of our lives. Thank you A1 for making things so much easier!
We returned at the end of summer, and Joe once again pulled through for us and got the car back to Pennsylvania in one piece. It was real simple to use their service and they’re worth every dollar. Highly recommend!- Evan & Brooke H.
Finding a good company to transport my Prius seemed a bit difficult, but I wanted to call a few of them anyway before going for a broker. I read a few reviews on A1 Auto Transport and decided on them.
The experience was very satisfactory. A1 is awesome! Joe answered the phone the first time I called and was professional and very friendly. Communication was really easy throughout the move.
Even my emails got answered within minutes, which really goes to show how on top of things he is. There was no damage to my car during transport, and it arrived in Hawaii on time. Great service!- Nick G.
Auto Transport Services in Hawaii
- Big Island
- Hawaii County
- Honolulu County
- Kailua Kona
- Kauai County
- Maui County
- Mililani Town
- Mountain View
- Pearl City
- Port Of Honolulu
- Port Of Barbers Point
- Port of Hilo
- Port Of Kahului
- Port Of Kawaihae
- Port Of Nawiliwili