- Safe And Reliable New York Car Shipping Services - Ny Car Transport Services Near Me
- Cost & Time To Ship Your Car Examples
- Car Shipping Companies New York Near Me
- Using New York Car Transport Companies - Ship Car To New York
- Long Distance Auto Transport To/From New York City - Best Car Transporters New York
- International Auto Transport From/To New York - Car Delivery Service Near Me
- Cheap Car Transportation Options In New York City
- Shipping Luxury And Classic Cars In New York
- New York Special Discounts
- Auto Transport Safety Measures In New York
- Services And Information
- How To Request A Price Estimate
- New York Car Shipping Companies Directory - Car Movers Services Near Me
- All-States Auto Transport
- Snowbirds Auto Transporter
- Always Affordable Auto Shipping
- Auto Shippers Express
- Knickerbocker Transport
- Tara Shipping
- Queens Auto Transport
- Vehicle Registration In New York
- Registration For New Residents
- Cars That Have Liens
- How To Register A Car In The State Of New York?
- Vehicles Bought From A Dealership
Safe And Reliable New York Car Shipping Services - NY Car Transport Services Near Me
Many people refer to New York as the Big Apple. Upstate New York is home to some of the most beautiful rural scenery in the country and many famous people call parts of the city home. There is certainly no shortage of entertainment options here including shopping, beach mongering, visiting iconic sites such as the Empire State Building and Broadway Theater, or taking the ferry out to Staten Island to hang out at the boardwalk . While New York is home to one of the most sophisticated public transportation systems in the world, it helps to have a vehicle to get around.
Cost & Time To Ship Your Car Examples
|Shipping To/From||Cost||Distance||Estimated Time In Transit|
|New York to Boston||$215||215 miles||2 - 4 days|
|Detroit to New York||$469||625 miles||3 - 5 days|
|Brooklyn to Asheville||$525||700 miles||3 - 5 days|
|Illinois to New York||$682||909 miles||3 - 5 days|
|New York to Florida||$690||1150 miles||4 - 6 days|
|New Orleans to New York||$783||1305 miles||4 - 6 days|
|New York to Texas||$1058||1764 miles||5 - 7 days|
|Denver to New York||$1067||1778 miles||5 - 7 days|
|New York to Phoenix||$1204||2407 miles||7 - 9 days|
|Nevada to New York||$1025||2562 miles||7 - 9 days|
|New York to San Francisco||$1161||2902 miles||7 - 9 days|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and what type of vehicle you are shipping.
Car Shipping Companies New York Near Me
Looking for auto transport companies near you in New York? People are moving out of New York City in record numbers, nearly 46,000 in just 2017-2018 according to census data. Whether you’re thinking of doing the same, or you’re getting ready to move there for a new job in the city, we have you covered. We help with car transportation in or out of the Big Apple, and we are ready to help you with your vehicle. We have skilled drivers who get rave reviews from our customers every day.
Using New York Car Transport Companies - Ship Car To New York
When you are looking to book NY car shipping services, keep a few key tips in mind.
- Shop around for rates: Anything you do up north can be a pretty experience; shop around for a auto shipping company that provides you with the best rates for their NY auto transport services. If you get instant car shipping quote from different companies, you are bound to find the one that best fits your personal budget.
- Get ready to drive in the city: Driving your car in New York City is no easy experience, particularly if you aren’t used to it. Prepare for traffic and more aggressive driving than you may be used to if you aren’t from the city.
- Plot points of interest: There is so much to see and do in New York City. Plot out points of interest ahead of time to ensure that you don’t miss anything as you drive around a visit various regions of the state.
Visit the New York Department of Transportation website for more information on New York City and the plentiful opportunities in which it can offer those visiting or relocating to the state.
Long Distance Auto Transport to/from New York City - Best Car Transporters New York
Now that trucks can haul more than 10 cars at once, few people bother to transport a car by themselves. Instead of driving across multiple states with your family, hiring a vehicle transport service to do it for you is the most practical and cost-effective option.
Using a New York auto shipping firm will save you a lot of money since you can split the cost of shipping with as many as eleven other people. When you use our New York auto shipping service, all you need to do is schedule the transport, be present (or send a friend) to hand over the vehicle and show up at the drop-off site when you get the notice announcing your car has arrived, saving you a lot of time.
International Auto Transport from/to New York - Car Delivery Service Near Me
Shipping your car to another country can be very easy on your end. After discussing the details with our staff and setting up a pickup date, a driver will come by your house. There, you can sign the contract and the car will be on its way.
Our company is one of the best car transport companies and we will take care of the rest. We will also make sure you won’t fall into one of the numerous pitfalls that can happen with such moves. Import taxes, customs paperwork, and others often create problems for first time shippers. We’ve faced these situations before and will help you avoid them.
Cheap Car Transportation Options in New York City
There are a number of factors that determine NY car hauling services rates, such as: the distance, the size of the vehicle, the type of shipping service used, pickup/destination locations, the timeframe, the cost of fuel, and seasonal demands.
Shipping a car during the high season/summer can be more expensive due to carrier availability, so you may want your NY auto hauling services conducted during the low season to enjoy a lower shipping rate. You can also consider shipping your car with an open auto carrier as it is less expensive. Enclosed carriers are ideal for express deliveries, but for a normal shipment, an open truck is all you need.
If you can be flexible about the pick-up and drop-off locations, you can take advantage of terminal-to-terminal car shipping. You will have to take your car to a terminal near your home and pick it up from a terminal near your new location. This way, our trucks can pick it up, along with several other cars, from one central location. Since this saves us fuel and time, the cost to ship is cheaper than the alternative.
Shipping Luxury and Classic Cars in New York
Transporting luxury, antique, classic or exotic cars can be done in several ways depending on your requirements. If you don’t mind the occasional bump or scratch caused by the weather or by road debris, then an open carrier ship is a good option. There is also the risk of theft since the vehicle is visible to all, but such cases are indeed rare.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for the best service possible, then we suggest car shipping in an enclosed carrier. Not only will the vehicle be protected from road debris and thieves, but it will also travel directly to its destination, with no time wasted on dropping off other vehicles to their delivery location. Such carriers can easily pick up low ground clearance vehicles, and your truck driver will send you regular updates during the transport.
New York Special Discounts
When it comes to New York shipping, seniors benefit from special rates when shipping a vehicle. Similar offers are available to students, regardless of their state of origin, and to US military personnel. Everyone else can use our seasonal offerings to lower costs. You may inquire what the best season for shipping vehicles is over the phone.
Auto Transport Safety Measures in New York
To ensure safety, the periodic inspection of our carriers is mandatory. Each truck should run smoothly, strap every car in place and offer adequate protection from outside elements.
Due to their design, the open carrier relies on the surrounding beams to protect vehicles from flying objects. However, if you want maximum protection, you can upgrade your service to an enclosed trailer.
In the event something damages your car, you are entitled to compensation from the company. Make sure you check it thoroughly at the drop-off point. Do not sign any papers until you’re sure the automobile is in proper condition.
Services And Information
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
How to Request a Price Estimate
If you’re shopping for an auto transport company in New York City, we recommend using our online form to get a free quote. We’ve placed the link at the top of each page, so it’s easy to find. Make sure you follow our instructions, so you’ll receive a good one.
Near the form is a phone number you can call if you’ve decided to use our New York car shipping services. Our staff can answer all your questions and customize the shipment, so it suits your requirements. We offer several types of shipping services, so if you’d like to minimize costs or need an express delivery, we can accommodate depending on carrier availability.
New York Car Shipping Companies Directory - Car Movers Services Near Me
NEW YORK CITY
All-States Auto Transport
The name is just what it implies: a car shipping company based in New York which ships to various states around the country. Licensed, bonded and insured nationwide auto shippers with great BBB accredited customer reviews. Transports automobiles, vans, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, boats and other heavy hauling with their open and enclosed carriers.
16 West 45th St., New York, NY
Snowbirds Auto Transporter
Those people that go south for the winter just like the birds that migrate from this area of the country might find a kindred philosophy in this auto shipping company, which can get your car south and back again.
537 West 34th Street, New York, NY
Always Affordable Auto Shipping
Anytime you need car shipping regionally, nationally or internationally, Always Affordable is just what it says: right on time and in on budget.
378 Washington Street, New York, NY
Auto Shippers Express
Express is the key point behind this car shipping company’s philosophy: they can get your automobile moved for an affordable price and in a very timely fashion.
954 Lexington Ave., New York, NY
Those looking for fairly affordable rates and different car shipping options – including temperature control and fleet services – might find just what they are looking for in this New York auto transport company.
16 West 89th St., New York, NY
Billing itself as one of the most affordable auto transport brokers in the auto transport industry, Tara Shipping can take care of all of your car shipping needs.
52 Reade Street, New York, NY
Queens Auto Transport
This New York car shipping company specializes in shipping rare and vintage vehicles, as well as other types of vehicles, including fleets for dealers.
6123 190th St., New York, NY
Vehicle Registration in New York
You have to follow these steps in order to register a car with the DMV of New York:
- Visit the local office of the DMV;
- Complete the application for vehicle title and registration;
- Submit proof of ownership, vehicle insurance, and identification;
- Pay the taxes and fees for the license plates, and the title fee.
Registration for New Residents
When you take up residency in New York, you’ll get a grace period of 30 days to register your car with the DMV.
To get your car registered, you must:
- Submit proof of your identity and auto insurance, as the state of New York only accepts insurance from inside the state;
- Submit a fully completed application for the car title and registration;
- Provide the title of the vehicle;
- Complete a form for an exemption in case your vehicle was bought prior to your move to New York;
- Provide payment for the applicable taxes and fees.
Cars that have Liens
If your title is held by a lien holder for a loan you got on your vehicle, the DMV will get the information recorded on your title and registration. You should submit the following documentation:
A car title copy sent by the lien holder.
- A letter from your lien holder with the company letterhead, the owner’s information, the make, model, year, and VIN of the vehicle, as well as confirmation that the title certificate in original is in the lien holder’s possession and that the lien holder acknowledges the registration of the car in the state of New York.
- A card for insurance in the state of New York.
- An application for the vehicle title and registration.
- A form for an exemption from taxes valid for vehicles purchased before you took up residency in New York.
- Payment for the fees of registration.
How to Register a Car in the state of New York?
Vehicles circulating on the roads of New York have to be registered with the local DMV. The registration process might vary depending on the way in which you acquired the vehicle, if you bought it from a private individual, or from a car dealership.
Car insurance: Whether you are driving your vehicle or not, it is mandatory in the state of New York to have your car insured. You must provide proof of owning a car insurance policy if you are trying to register a vehicle in this state.
Vehicles Bought from a Dealership
The registration process is easy for vehicles purchased from car dealerships, as the paperwork is usually submitted in your name by the dealership. Some companies will even issue temporary license plates and vehicle certificates for registration.
Due to them taking care of the paperwork for the registration, dealerships may charge a fee for this. If you decide to register the vehicle yourself, you should submit the following paperwork:
Documentation received from the dealership agent at the moment you bought the vehicle:
- The origin certificate from the manufacturer,
- The sale bill issued by the dealer,
- The receipt for the sales tax.
- Proof of insurance recognized by the state of New York.
- A completed application for titling and registration.
- An ID card.
- Payment for the taxes and fees for registration.
Cars Bought from a Private Individual
If you want to transfer a vehicle title from a person to another, you need to have a car inspection done.
The registration process requires you to submit these documents:
- The title of the vehicle and the sale bill with the signature of the seller
- The damage disclosure and odometer statement must be filled on the backside of the certificate of title and signed by the selling party.
- A vehicle insurance card recognized by the state of New York.
- Your ID card.
- A completed application for vehicle titling and registration.
- Payment of the sales tax.
- Payment of the registration fees issued by the state of New York.
At the moment of registration, you will receive a sticker as an extension for inspection that entitles you to a grace period of 10 days, within which you have to get your vehicle inspected.
Car Registration for Military Members
If you’re a military member that resides in the New York state, but is stationed in another state, you should register your car in the state in which you’re currently stationed, and register with the DMV of New York upon your return. If you have to register a car in New York during your deployment to another state, you can register through a friend or family member or using mail.
Tax deferment for vehicles belonging to military members
Military members that reside in New York and are deployed in other states are able to defer the taxes on their vehicles if they renounce their NY residency while they are in another state.
To benefit from the tax deferment, one should complete an exemption form for sales taxes and pay the respective taxes when the military service is completed.
Military residents of other states stationed in New York
Military members stationed in New York can keep the registration from the state they reside in if they don’t request residency in NY.
New York vehicle registration for absentees
If you are a New York resident and are in an impossibility to present yourself to the local DMV for your vehicle registration, you can apply by mail or through a second party.
Secondary Party Registration
If you cannot present yourself at the New York DMV to apply for registration, you can ask a family member, a spouse, or a friend to submit the car registration application in your name.
- You have to fill out the forms mentioned in the Mail Registration section.
- Your friend, spouse, or family member needs to submit the forms you filled out as well as the identification documents for you as the person who registers and themselves as well.
- The taxes and fees of registration must be paid.
The steps that must be followed in the registration by mail process are:
- Downloading the required forms from the online site of the DMV: application for titling and registration, the instructions on how to complete the registration application, a transaction statement, the tax exemption claim, a lien notice if the vehicle has a loan on it, and a credit of sales to claim credit for taxes paid to other states (if applicable);
- Gathering the required documents:
- Proof of ownership of the vehicle;
- Proof of a car insurance policy issued by a New York insurance company;
- Copies of your ID card;
- Performing the payment of all registration fees and taxes by including a money order or a check in the envelope.
The above-mentioned paperwork must be sent by registered mail, express mail, or by certified mail to the local DMV office. If you wish to receive the registration to a specific address, and not to the one mentioned in your registration form, you have to include in the envelope a note with the return address clearly mentioned.
Please note the mail will be delivered in a period of a maximum of 2 weeks and that the DMV has a grace period of up to 90 days to process your application and reply.
Fees of Registration in New York
New York registrations cover a 2-year period given that all the taxes and fees were paid in full. Some of the applicable New York taxes include: the fees for the car’s license plates, the sales tax, the fees for the title certificate, the tax for vehicle use, etc. Cars with more than 6 cylinders and electric cars are submitted to an extra fee of approximately $33 that covers the 2 years registration.
Registration of custom-built vehicles
Custom-built vehicles are subjected to a different a registration process than regular vehicles. The New York DMV puts at your disposal a special application package that contains the forms you will need to get your custom-built vehicle registered.
Among the steps for the registration of a custom-built car are:
- Getting the car’s weight certificate.
- Submitting photos of the vehicle.
- Obtaining a VIN for the car.
- Passing the vehicle through a regular safety inspection.
Car Inspections in New York
Vehicles sold by a dealership will get an inspection within the first 30 days from the sale and the responsibility of assuring the inspection process falls onto the dealer.
Vehicles sold by private individuals must be subjected to an inspection in one of the following 10 days after the sale, the extension period being assured by the inspection sticker received on the day of the sale.
Vehicles bought from outside the state will receive a sticker that should be used at their return to New York, before having the vehicle inspection.
Registering Cars Imported from Foreign Countries
Cars imported from other countries must pass the emissions standards of the New York state at the Border Protection and Custom office of the United States. A series of documents must be submitted in order to pass the process and to obtain a proper registration.
Other New York Resources
New York.gov - official government website for the state of New York.
New York Wikipedia Page - everything you need to know about the state of New York.
University Of New York - More than 175 years ago, Albert Gallatin, the distinguished statesman who served as secretary of the treasury under Presidents Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, declared his intention to establish "in this immense and fast-growing city ... a system of rational and practical education fitting for all and graciously opened to all." Founded in 1831, New York University is now one of the largest private universities in the United States. Of the more than 3,000 colleges and universities in America, New York University is one of only 60 member institutions of the distinguished Association of American Universities.
New York On Craigslist - local classifieds and forums for jobs, housing, for sale, personals, services, local community, and events.
Frequently Asked Questions
Thankfully, sending your car to or from New York is easy. Will this include Long Island, Westchester, Syracuse, or a location outside of New York? Does your shipment involve New York City? A-1 Auto Transport can handle all the details for the stress-free shipment of your vehicle. Click for a no-cost-, no-obligation quote, or call us at 888-230-9116 for personalized assistance.
Auto transport typically involves shipping your car on an open trailer that’s exposed to road debris and the weather. An upgrade to enclosed shipping may be a worthwhile option if you car is new or valuable. Another welcomed service is the door-to-door option which includes the added convenience of scheduled pick-up and drop-off times.
Your cost to ship a vehicle is determined by distance (transit times) and vehicle type. For instance, shipping a small sedan from Brooklyn to Buffalo could run $350. Yet, sending a large crossover from Rochester to Long Beach, California, might cost $1,200. The shipping professionals at A-1 Auto Transport can review all the options with you and provide an instant quote. Contact us today or get a free online shipping quote.
We’re happy to suggest alternatives to reduce shipping costs. We’ll never skimp on the care and expertise used to transport your car, so keeping costs down focuses on time and distance options. Consider standby shipping as one way to save money, you’ll just wait a few days for the next available slot on the designated shipping route. Another cost-saving option is terminal-to-terminal service. Instead of door-to-door delivery, you’ll just drop-off and pick-up you car at the nearest freight terminals.
Prepping for vehicle shipping involves a few simple steps that will make for an easier process.
- Check operating condition: Make sure the vehicle is in good running order so there are no difficulties during car shipping. These steps should include checking fluid levels, battery condition, and tire pressure. In addition, check that there are no drivetrain leaks.
- Secure loose parts: Remove or fasten any loose exterior components like decorative trim, mirrors, or an antenna. Otherwise, these objects may get damaged during transport.
- Empty gas tank: Your vehicle will be operated for brief periods during transport, so ensure that the fuel tank is only one-quarter full.
- Clean the car: Fully wash your car just before transport. You’ll be able to better pinpoint any pre-existing blemishes.
- Take out important items: As the car is prepared for shipping, remove any expensive or important things that are separate from the vehicle. This may include GPS units, audio gear, and parking passes. Remember to also take out any toll transponders to avoid unnecessary charges during shipping. Remove all personal items and household goods from the vehicle.
- Have duplicate keys: You’ll only need to provide the transport company with one set of keys, but having a backup set on hand is smart move in case something unexpected happens.
- Take photos: At hand-off time, take complete pictures of the vehicle’s outside and inside. This will capture the pre-shipment condition of the car and provide a reference in case something happens during transport.
It takes two to four days for most vehicle shipments within New York state or the Tri-State area. Longer distances, like from Rochester to San Diego, need seven to ten days. The weather and time of year can also alter delivery timeframes.
The New York State Department of Transportation/Motor Carrier Compliance Bureau oversees car shipping operations within the state. In addition, the U.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulates car transport companies that operate in many states or that use large trucks.
The Motor Carrier Compliance Bureau can be reached by calling 518- 457-6512. An interstate shipping company’s federal registration can be checked with the U.S. Department of Transportation.
If your shipment crossed multiple states, send your complaint to the U.S. Department of Transportation. For New York-only shipments, contact the New York Department of Motor Vehicles. You can also reach out to the New York State Department of Transportation Motor Carrier Compliance Bureau at 518-457-5953.